Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Vs Auris Hybrid, Esp On Motorways

TonnaSteve

Hello all - I'm quite new to the forum but have some questions about going for a hybrid. I've test driven the Auris hybrid, liked it, and on Friday will be trying the Yaris hybrid. I drive about 9 hours per week split 6 hours M4 and 3 hours in stop-start city centre traffic. Thinking of trading-in my diesel Yaris and going hybrid so that I can have an economical automatic (the clutch in stop start traffic is getting a pain - literally). My question is about that 6 hours per week on motorways - provided I get better than 50 mpg on the M4 section I'll be happy enough, but are the hybrids suited to motorway work, overtaking slow moving vehicles etc? I'd like to try a hybrid but wouldn't want to be blocked into the inside lane by any lack of performance.

Finally any preferences for the Auris or Yaris? I'm usually on my own during the week and my wife has a Verso for when we need to carry more stuff, so I don't need the extra room the Auris provides, but I do like a quiet interior where I can listen to music as I cruise along.

Cheers,

Steve

I would probably go for the auris out of the 2. I think you should be able to hit 55-60mpg on motorway as long as you sit around the 70mph mark any more any economy goes down same as any vehicle.

The sitting in traffic part with the cvt would be a more relaxed drive

Alex

• Like 1

Hi Steve, welcome to the hybrid forum.

A hybrid will not be a problem on the motorway and the type of driving you describe is well suited to hybrids. If you need power to overtake, you just put your foot down and it will respond.

You should be able to do well better than 50 mpg in either model.

I can't speak to your questions specific to the Auris or Yaris, so will leave that to others, suffice it to say that the hybrid technology allows you to have a medium sized car for small car costs. Me personally, I'd choose the Auris over the Yaris as I prefer the larger car feel.

In any case you should take an extended test drive and try either or both on the motorway for yourself.

HTH

I'd like to try a hybrid but wouldn't want to be blocked into the inside lane by any lack of performance.

That is an urban myth. Have an extended test drive and prove it for yourself.

Not another Hybrid / Motorway thread????

Somebody winding us up here? :D:

Not a wind-up, I'm 90% convinced to buy a hybrid instead of a diesel in the next few weeks and just looking for input from drivers who've already done so. If there are already multiple threads saying 'don't worry - they're fine on motorways' please accept a newbie's apologies :)

I think my only other question is how they drive in snow and ice - does the CVT flounder in slippery conditions or can you 'lock' a particular "gear"?

Steve

Your newbyness is forgiven Steve

If you use the seach facility, you will see these things come up time and time again. There is a thread running in the Prius club with the same headline. If you search, you will also find the one where they drive just as good in the snow, and the type / grade of oil they use (another question asked almost daily)

I have had Prius, Auris and Yaris Hybrid models, average MPG was 57, 55 and 60. My journey is approx 15 mile dual carriageway and 5 miles on A road (stop start) As mentioned above, see if you can get an extended test drive, space might not be so good in the Yaris, you might not need it but try out both models

Kingo :thumbsup:

Bah, why would you want to change from the superb Diesel Yaris?! :D :wub:

I can understand wanting to get an autobox for the annoying start-stop bits tho', and the HSD is easily the best autobox Toyota make right now.

You won't be racing any Audi's or BMW's, but the electric motor gives strong instant torque a bit like the Yaris D4D so they're pretty good at overtaking; It's a lot more progressive and smooth than the D4D's more punchy torque delivery.

I will say the petrol engine can get a bit noisy if you accelerate hard as the engine doesn't climb the revs like in a normal car - It jumps straight to the top of the power band and sits there while the HSD gearbox does the climbing. I found it took some getting used to, but some people don't even notice. This is what test drives are for! :D :naughty:

(Or you could just accelerate gently and not floor the accelerator every time you go for an overtake :lol:)

As for the choice of car, I think I'd lean more toward the Auris HSD for motorway work. I love my Yaris D4D to bits but my god it's an uncomfortable bugger for long and boring motorway runs and I doubt the Mk3 is much different in that regard! :lol:

The Auris is a much nicer place to be for extended periods, and the stronger ICE and Battery capacity will make overtaking that much easier. It also transmits less road noise than the Yaris since you mentioned music :)

If you're leaning more towards economy than comfort tho', IIRC Yolina is regularly getting low-mid 70's on town and A-roads and mid-high 60's for the motorway in her Yaris HSD without trying especially hard. IIRC typical figures for the Auris HSD are about 5-10 mpg down on those from what others have said.

Just try not to keep staring at the power flow diagrams on the centre console when you start driving one :P :lol:

The traction control in the HSDs is superb so they do pretty well in the snow as long as there is at least some grip to be had; I don't think I've ever seen one wheelspin! If you live in heavy snow places then snow tyres are still recommended tho'.

• 9 months later...

Any chance we can revive this thread ?

Does anyone know what TonnaSteve got at the end - is it Auris and Yaris ?

We are faced with the same dilemma as my wife wants a good car to replace her Automatic Micra. Having driven a Prius Gen3 for the past 4+ years, I suggested we go for a Hybrid as she does approx 50+50 Motoroway/Town commute daily 25miles each way.

We were narrowing-in on a Yaris HSD (1yr old) until we heard it has the Gen 2 engine and then we came across an Auris HSD (3 yrs old) but same mileage and very similar sticker price. Various posts here also seem to say the Yaris might not be as Motorway friendly as the Auris with its bigger Gen 3 engine.

Any experts here who can share some words of wisdom ?

Yaris is perfectly motorway friendly, in fact, Im not even sure where that nonsense came from!

The problem is not Motorways, it's the speed you drive on them. The Yaris is perfectly capable of giving you average high 50's without trying, but if you take it to 70 and above, you are going to end up with higher MPG, just like ANY OTHER car on the motorway

As already stated your best bet is to get an extended test drive so you can check them out for yourself. Having driven the Yaris twice as a courtesy car I wouldn't want to drive it for 50 miles on the motorway, it is fine around town and short trips though. Have had two tests in an Auris Hybrid and found them OK. Easy to drive and plenty of power for motorway overtakes etc. I found the Auris much quieter than the Yaris but not as quiet on the motorway as my Avensis though it was almost as comfortable.

Each to their own, yes you need to test drive one, BUT I drove one for 6 months or so and found it fine on my 20 mile commute, and trips out and about, no less comfortable than the Auris I currently run

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links