Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Y-Plate (2001) Avensis Engine Management Light Conundrum

Deadbloke

Hello fellow Toyotists,

I've had this problem with the car (it's a 130k-odd mile D4D diesel) since I bought it in early 2012. It starts just fine (a bit of initial squeaking from the alternator belt if cold) but after about 20-30 minutes driving the engine management light comes on and it cuts to the limp-home low power mode. If you pull over and turn the ignition on and off again it starts up OK without the EML and at full power, only to repeat the trick after another 20-30 minutes.

I'm getting kinda bored of this.

I'd like to know what's wrong with my car but I'm too poor to afford Toyota dealer diagnostics. Is there a fault code reader compatible with a 2001 Toyota diesel (all the code readers I've found mention OBD2 and post 2004 diesels only)?

Thanks for the tip avensisd4d786, but cleaning the EGR valve didn't do the trick. I tried it this morning but the EML came on again as usual after around five miles when I took it for a test run after lunch. Are there any other failures which might cause the above symptoms, or a way to get the car to tell me what's wrong?

As an aside, the EGR valve looked nothing like the pne in the photographs, no coolant pipes in and out, and mine had a sort of flying-saucer shaped thing on top. Earlier model, perhaps?

Ideally you need read the code to see what code the ecu is putting out. plus it comes handy in the future. you could email one of the sellers on eBay asking if it would be compatible with your car.

I would check all hoses and pipes.

you could clean the maf sensor (electrical contact cleaner Halfords 3.99 or something along those lines)

when was the fuel filter last changed? could try changing that

could be scv valves (not cheap) you could measure their resistance.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87986-42-d4d-scv-valve-replacement/

my car has been into limp mode twice.

first egr second fuel filter (used a genuine one this time)

Righto, I cleaned the MAF sensor this afternoon and have a suite of filters on order (oil, fuel and air) as I've decided to take a day to get up to my elbows in it. I'll let y'all know if any of it works...

• 2 weeks later...

So far air and fuel filters are changed with no joy, oil and filter tomorrow (plus engine flush). The symptoms seem to point to something getting progressively more clagged up somewhere as the intervals between the EML coming on are getting shorter...