Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Light

Mike169

Hi all.

My Rav4 is a '12' plate, 2nd hand and low mileage. When i bought it the interior light over your head was switched 'off' so the lights wouldn't come on if the doors were opened, fair enough i thought but thought it strange why people turn them off at all. I pushed both lenses and yes both sides work properly anyway i decided to turn the switch to the 'on' position as it's getting darker now and thought it would be a good idea to have some light in the car getting inside it in the dark. Well all seemed ok with the switch in the 'on' position, the lights were off, so i exited the car, looked through the window and watched the 2 lights dim down after a few seconds and of course they went out.

Now the 'aarrrrr' bit, when i went to the car in the morning both the drivers and passenger lights were on as if they had switched themselves on and this is before i had even got close to the car or opened the doors. I am wondering if there is a fault with say the switches/dimmer relay and they came on sometime overnight, does the car sense i am approaching the car and turn themselves on (Push button start) or ????

Any advise or answers would be appreciated.

Regards Mike169

Aye Mikey........if you have the push button start falicity, the clever wee gubber picks up the sensor in yer pocket, and welcomes you with interior light on.....I say good evening Kit to mine, but wish it would stop calling me Michael........this lights on should only happen in poor light or darkness picked up by dashboard sensor I would guess though......?

• Like 1

Good morning Kevin and thanks for you reply. I half sorta guessed this might be the reason but i'm sure you can appreciate i just wanted to hear it from someone else. Of course now i'm gonna test it, poor light, good light, key fob not in pocket, key fob in pocket and sneaking up on my Rav 4 to check it's range, and ohhhhhhhhhhh i don't mind mine calling me Michael, haha!

Your knowledge on Toyota's is admirable do you work for them?

Regards Mike 169

Aye Mikey........if you have the push button start falicity, the clever wee gubber picks up the sensor in yer pocket, and welcomes you with interior light on.....I say good evening Kit to mine, but wish it would stop calling me Michael........this lights on should only happen in poor light or darkness picked up by dashboard sensor I would guess though......?

You certainly seem to know your stuff.......Michael.

I'm gonna get me 'andbook out before i take the easy option next time....................i do 'ave a question but gonna look it up first just incase it's in there, don't want egg on my face, lol.....thanks Kev (Aka Michael), Don & Paul.

Good morning Kevin and thanks for you reply. I half sorta guessed this might be the reason but i'm sure you can appreciate i just wanted to hear it from someone else. Of course now i'm gonna test it, poor light, good light, key fob not in pocket, key fob in pocket and sneaking up on my Rav 4 to check it's range, and ohhhhhhhhhhh i don't mind mine calling me Michael, haha!

Your knowledge on Toyota's is admirable do you work for them?

Regards Mike 169

Absolutely, Mike.......know these Toyotas inside oot mate, just find it difficult to change the plugs and points on these diesels.......anybody know the dwell angle for mine......?

And imagine Anchorhim accusing me of reading ma Owner's Handbook........nuts min.

Ego. Ask him about wheelie bins and side repeater lenses.

I do try with my Grasshopper.

I can now be found on the detailing forum, along with Charlie, and other transferees........never been so consulted in ma life.

Points n dwell angles Kev?

None of your diagnostic jiggerypokery.

Those were the days.

I know what you mean Paul, points, dwell angle or feeler blades, at least you could mend it if it broke, none of this plug in a laptop magic stuff, in some ways it's taken some of the fun out of motoring.

Wish ah had a pound for the amounts of times I forgot about the VAT, Paul.......Vacuum Advance Tube, whilst using ma xenon Timing Light.........ran like a pig until the penny dropped......and then finding this lump in ma trousers when car wouldnae start........rotor arm.

• Like 1

I loved doing Mini's with the distributer in the front of the engine using me short magic screwdriver which held the screw 'cos the middle bit of the screwdriver twisted independently. Just for fun i have thought of buying a pre 25 year old car just so i can get all me ole tools out and get 'em working again..........there's plenty of places that sell old classics, moggy minors and the like..... don't get me wrong i luv me Rav4, reliable and all that but it ain't got the charisma of some of the oldies. Incidently i get 29-30 mpg from my D cat diesel driving it reasonably carefully, is that normal, i was expecting better?

• Like 1

Memories Hey ! WD40 on damp mornings, repairing cracked distributor caps with your Mothers nail varnish, cardboard in front of the radiator in winter, 30 pence a piece for N9Y Champion spark plugs and not forgetting manual chokes ! Then in 1987 I bought my first Toyota, a Twin-Cam Corolla with one of the finest engines ever, the 4A-GE, no more damp problems, misfires or breakdowns.

Oh well.......back to the interior light thread !

Nail varnish? You must a bin one of those rich kids Paul -;)

Nail varnish? You must a bin one of those rich kids Paul - ;)

Ha, it worked a treat !

Ha, it worked a treat !

What caused them to crack as regularly as they seemed to......?

Ha, it worked a treat !

What caused them to crack as regularly as they seemed to......?

Old age, prolonged exposure to heat and damp at a guess Kev, like my knees, wonder if nail varnish would help ? :bored:

Cooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................Listen to all you old boys..........

Ok if the cap fits then wear it, i u'stand, haha!

Yikes my first car was a Ford Popular 100E, mine was a posh one with adjustable tappets, even if it did only have 3 forward gears and vacuum wipers with a reserve tank which still meant they stopped as you booted it past another vehicle and went like the clappers as you throttled off....those were the days my friends, i thought they'd never end.................