Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Sat Nav Hifi Unit For Rav4 T180

CharlieFarlie

Looking to change the Sat nav unit in my car as the old one has gone AWOL....

There seems very few options as its a dedicated shaped unit and as I intend to change cars soon I don't want to spend a huge amount (Didn't want to spend a penny but its knackered) ..

Best I can find is this one on eBay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190811419515?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But I know absolutely nothing about these things and don't want to spend 300 quid on a heap of rubbish ! No point in fitting something that a dealer looks at or a private buyer looks at and thinks "cheap crap" and deducts money....Mmmmm

Any suggestions on an alternative appreciated.

Cheers.

What a bummer, Charlie, the unit packing it in. The advert for that unit kinda gives away its provenance, showing Mahatma Gandhi Ring Road on the screen !!!! Used to be interested in car stuff for sounds, and have waxed lyrical re NOT buying Far Eastern mince as it turns oot to be just that......mince. Some also had the reputation for dashboard meltdown......

Let's all search for scrappers with working units and report back......I will look at Scotlandshire and let ye know.

• Like 1

Cheers Kev.. Problem is is that there doesn't seem to be any alternatives ? A Sony or something like that ? Anything really that is not utter carp will do....

Sony XNV 77LBT . . . Great Unit . . .BUT EXPENSIVE . . . and difficult to get hold of now . . . If you are happy with Garmin sat nav, then there are lots more alternatives

Nice Tony but as Im looking to out the car soon a wee bit expensive..

Bear in mind I am clueless at this game but the OE unit is part of the dashboard ? Thats why all I can find is the Chinese stuff maybe ? I will spend £500 quid or so but thats about it to be honest.. Flaming cars !!

Thanks,,, Will that connect to the existing connections in the T180 ? I take it its the same as the one Kev has ?

If its a simple installation it could be the one !

Just looked at sellers feedback.... Seems he sold one of these and buyer was not a happy bunny ! Wonder if its the same one ?

No probs,

I would have thought it would be a straight swap. If you have any doubts Charlie give SHCM a quick PM.

Had a reply from SHCM (Will reply later as I have to dive out now. Thanks !

It seems the TNS will fit but the only thing stopping me from hitting the "Buy it now" is the sellers feedback !! But he has several of the TNS units including the latest one at 525 quid.......

Kev what are they like these units ? I could try and arrange to go and pick one up from the seller as he is about 80 miles from where I live.. At least that way I wont end up with a marked or damaged / scratched unit........

Until I get an SR I'm using this car as my daily run around and I really depend on the sat nav.. I have no sense of direction at all so the sat nav is my best mate....

If your swapping your 180 Charlie, why not just buy a cheapo Garmin unit @ £90 to tide you over.

I use one all the time and tbh its much simpler to use than the in car unit,which I've never totally been able to get my head round,

no doubt if I persevered with it I'd eventually get the hang of it.

If your swapping your 180 Charlie, why not just buy a cheapo Garmin unit @ £90 to tide you over.

I use one all the time and tbh its much simpler to use than the in car unit,which I've never totally been able to get my head round,

Paul I do need the phone kit... It essential to me as is the navigation. Also come time to either PX the car or sell it it will need at least a decent set up in it or it will devalue the car.. Personally if I were looking at a car I would expect everything to work.

I have a Tom Tom XL but its a royal pain in the arris...

Why not just download nav programme onto your mobile,

Keith

Kieth.. I travel across the Midlands visiting sites .. Up to some days 5 or 6 and rely on the sat nav on the dash to get me there.. I have no sense of direction. Part of being dyslexic I'm told.

I also and this is something I hate doing but I also answer calls on the move. I do not make calls until I am stationary but answering is part of customer back up... It may be possible to operate without these aids I have become used to. After all its not that long since we had maps.. But how I struggled..

My phone has sat nav on it but its no use when driving. I realise some mount their phones on the dash and use them nut that is just not for me....

Paul I do need the phone kit... It essential to me as is the navigation. Also come time to either PX the car or sell it it will need at least a decent set up in it or it will devalue the car.. Personally if I were looking at a car I would expect everything to work.

True Charlie..when selling a car if it has a satnav you'd expect it to be working.

Jumping threads a bit, did you ever locate your engine number?

I'm hoping what I think is mine might confirm an engine replacement.

• Like 1

I have a B9017 which your welcome to try... it's just gathering dust here. Been meaning to sell it for ages.

I think I have read before that the connections could be different though..

Any idea which loom connectors you have plugged into your B9004 ?

I can take a pic of the connections on the B9017 if that helps ?

• Like 1

As far as sat Nav and bluetooth for phone goes, I have a Garmin unit which I use in my van and works great on both functions and was around £100. Something as a stopgap maybe?

Whether to get one of these Chinese units or try and source an original one is a tricky one .... Wonder if there is some kind of part-ex on a repaired unit possible?

On these Chinese ones n eBay, you could buy the optional SquareTrade warranty for around £30 which at least should mean you'll get your money back if it is a pile of rubbish?

• Like 1

True Charlie..when selling a car if it has a satnav you'd expect it to be working.

Jumping threads a bit, did you ever locate your engine number?

I'm hoping what I think is mine might confirm an engine replacement.

No mate never found it.... I just used the info given to me by the dealer.. Why not ask your dealer for the low down on your car ? That said some of my info is missing or should I say not showing on the dealers computer.....

I have a B9017 which your welcome to try... it's just gathering dust here. Been meaning to sell it for ages.

Very kind offer thank you ! But to tell the truth I have no idea what a B9017 is and I also would not know which plugs I have..

I am looking at picking up a Touch and Go from an eBay seller in Bristol as its not more than 70 miles from where I live so that may come up trumps.. I would hit the buy it now button but sellers feedback is pretty awful..

Thing is driving me nuts now ....

Very kind offer thank you ! But to tell the truth I have no idea what a B9017 is and I also would not know which plugs I have..

I am looking at picking up a Touch and Go from an eBay seller in Bristol as its not more than 70 miles from where I live so that may come up trumps.. I would hit the buy it now button but sellers feedback is pretty awful..

No problem...

Pics of

B9017 back

gallery_56959_1575_21910.jpg

B9017 front

gallery_56959_1575_37147.jpg

B9004 back

gallery_56959_1575_20950.jpg

If your T180 uses the large ivory connector then I guess it's no good...

Hopefully someone else with a T180 might know..

No problem...

Pics of

B9017 back

gallery_56959_1575_21910.jpg

B9017 front

gallery_56959_1575_37147.jpg

B9004 back

gallery_56959_1575_20950.jpg

If your T180 uses the large ivory connector then I guess it's no good...

Hopefully someone else with a T180 might know..

Corrrr That looks perfect ! It looks the same as the one I have except that one seems to have DAB ? I would love to give that a try !

It will work in so much as it will almost certainly power up and the Speakers will be connected. The main power connectors and speaker connectors are usually common across Toyota units.

You'll need an adapter lead for the FM antenna. It doesn't have DAB, it's just "DAB ready" to connect the optional DAB adapter.

Unfortunately between the B9004 and the B9017, some of the connector pinout has changed. Thinks like the microphone pinout for the hands free phone has moved pins. So hand-free won't work.

You'll run into similar problems (not impossible to solve) with both the TNS510 and the touch and go.

The TNS510 was intended to be dealer fit and for example, the phone microphone is shown placed on the steering column cowl. Does the eBay unit come with all the accessories? Phone mic? There is also a ipod/usb harness if you want to use that function on it.

Likewise, the touch and go will work up to a point (power up and Speakers connected), but to get it fully working it will need some harness modifications. Antenna adapter again and some other fiddling. The usb/ipod harness doesn't have to be connected, but again, you'll need it if you want those functions.

All three are going to be easier than an aftermarket unit, but perhaps not that much easier.

Having said that, I personally don't think it's too difficult. I've got a fully functional T&G plus (inc steering controls, usb, handsfree phone and voice command) that I installed in an Urban Cruiser. It really depends how much fiddling you want to do, how confident you are and how easy you find reading wiring diagrams.

It really depends how much fiddling you want to do, how confident you are and how easy you find reading wiring diagrams.

Better start the planning for a visit to Charlie to fit his new system schm :)

Gus

MMmmmm there was me thinking it was going to be easy as the units appear the same.......

The unit that looks best is Lizs one as it looks to all intents and purposes the same as the one in the car... Should I take my one out and check the connectors ? Andy indicates this is not necessary ?

Liz I will send you a PM and a number but please send me a number and I will call you....

Andy would you be able to advise me which connections need changing ? So long as I can understand I will have no problems cutting and soldering wires.. Or if I was given instructions I could take the car to an audio center and get them to do the wiring.. But as said if its relatively simple stuff Im more than willing to give it a bash...

Thanks !!!

Right here are the pictures.. Top one is the B90I7 Bottom is the 9004 out of my car... To me the set up is different but Im so confused anyway...

B9017

gallery_56959_1575_21910_zps053b4738.jpg

B9004

radiorav4020_zps333372d6.jpg

MMmmmm there was me thinking it was going to be easy as the units appear the same.......

The unit that looks best is Lizs one as it looks to all intents and purposes the same as the one in the car... Should I take my one out and check the connectors ? Andy indicates this is not necessary ?

Liz I will send you a PM and a number but please send me a number and I will call you....

Andy would you be able to advise me which connections need changing ? So long as I can understand I will have no problems cutting and soldering wires.. Or if I was given instructions I could take the car to an audio center and get them to do the wiring.. But as said if its relatively simple stuff Im more than willing to give it a bash...

Thanks !!!

PM sent... :)