Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Anti-Roll Bar Bushes. Ease Of Access.

Konrad C

Waqar asked me if how difficult it is, to change anti-roll bar bushes. Having not done it myself, I gave a general response, and took some of the info from the Haynes manual.

I went out and examined my anti-roll bar bush location, and think it could be done if you have the right access and the spanners to get at the bolts.

post-76861-0-16612200-1380367684_thumb.jpost-76861-0-30863700-1380367791_thumb.jpost-76861-0-64465800-1380367868_thumb.jpost-76861-0-92693100-1380368742_thumb.j

After viewing the area and taking photos, I now think that the bushes can be changed without removing the sub-frame. The spanners and sockets that can reach the bolts will be a great help.

If I had to change my anti-roll bar bushes, I would give it a go, given that I have a lot of spanners and long extension socket sets. Plus I have ramps and axle stands.

This is something for me to think about for the future and I hope this helps.

Konrad

They look pretty easy to get to compared to some motors,i have found that the ratchet type ring spanners are the easiest to use.

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for this and sorry for the late reply I have been away. I have to say, you are making this look easy.:), My question about these is how to get new ones on as I am thinking they dont come with a slit in the middle of them or do they?

Regards,

Waqar

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for this and sorry for the late reply I have been away. I have to say, you are making this look easy. :), My question about these is how to get new ones on as I am thinking they dont come with a slit in the middle of them or do they?

Regards,

Waqar

Yes waqer they do come with a split which fits inside the bridle.

• Like 1

Thanks Exvec,

That helps a lot.

Regards,

Waqar

I don't like knocking the Haynes manual, but I when I first looked into the anti-roll bar bushes, they (Haynes) stated the removal of sub-frame. That is a lot of work!

When I went out the next day to examine my anti-roll bar bush access, I was surprised how much easier it actually is.

Haynes is a general reference guide and there are a few of things which are not covered. They have to produce a manual within a strict time.

The photos I provided show that with the correct spanner, the bushes can be changed quickly on a Mk1 Avensis.

I have learnt another lesson.

Konrad

The photos I provided show that with the correct spanner, the bushes can be changed quickly on a Mk1 Avensis.

I have learnt another lesson.

Konrad

Yep certainly can be done without dropping subframe mate,Haynes are doing the stripdown and they have removed the engine and done the photos and jobs as they go along which means that they did remove the subframe in any case in a sequence ,which in turn makes it quicker and economically more viable doing it that way.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A quick update.

I helped Waqar change the front anti roll bar bushes. It was a little awkward, but we did them.

It is best to remove both front wheels for access, and use 14mm 1/4" sockets or 1/2" long reach sockets. We were going to disconnect the drop links but didn't. The nut is easy to undo, but the inner part turned. I had to use a 5mm allen key to stop the centre from turning when tightening.

Waqar told me the knocking in the steering and noise has stopped.

I might do the same for my car.

Konrad

• Like 1

I salute Konrad for his help. I must say the ride is so much better. This car is still a work in progress.

Regards,

Waqar

• Like 1