Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Permanent Four Wheel Drive?

tutster

Hello.

Can anyone help out with this.

Ive got an 07 plate Rav4 2.0 vvti-xtr auto. Does anyone know if its permanent four wheel drive or if its electronic and kicks in when the front wheels slip?

Ive asked the dealer and the guy said it was permanent but when he said it, he didnt seem too sure!!!

Many thanks again!!!!

What I was told;

Always pulls away in four wheel drive then steps back to front wheel drive. Unless it feels slipperageness then it's four wheel drive again. It varies the percentage between front only and 50/50 I believe.

Dave

If you pull away hard the 4WD stays engaged for longer... I knows co I read it ere....... Tis a brilliant system !

Hi, Can I ask a question here please ? On my car (read signature) when would you use the 4wd button ? When I first start up the car the 4wd light comes on then goes off. when I have used the button, it only stays on until the car goes over 20 MPH. I have also heard that you shouldn't use the button at all. So I am confused. Does anyone have a definitive answer please ?

Sorry to hijack the original post :blushing:

Dave

Not using the button is nensonsical, Dave.......your caravan towing-ness is probably one of the best applications for locking up the 4WD system, for say, leaving wet grass on a campsite. It cancels itself as you probably know at 20/25 mph.

I stand to be corrected..........

Its not that the 4WD button shouldn't be used but there isn't much benefit in having the switch until the post 2009 models which allow you to turn off the traction control.

For 99% of the time the system is automatic and make no mistake, the actuating mechanism which sits on the input to the rear axle is working like a fiddlers elbow. It constantly and steplessly varies the input or demand on the rear axle depending on the conditions and the load - all controlled by one of several very clever RAV computers. If you could justify having the switch it would be for only if you get stuck in snow or mud and that is when then 4WD can get into a bit of a battle with the TRC (traction control). That is exactly when you don't want the TRC getting brought into play. It does brake a spinning wheel which would transfer the drive to a stationary wheel but on low friction surfaces where the potential for spin on both sides is detected it will also hold back the engine power - right down to idle in some cases. At that stage you might as well be in something as sophisticated as a Morris 1000 as you are equally stuffed. Now if you get stuck in a post 2009 model you can get about as serious as any other "soft roader" and press the 4WD AND the TRC button. The 4WD button will drop out at 25mph to protect the transmission and the tyres but the TRC should be reinstated ASAP. If you press the TRC button once it will deactivate the TRC. If you press it and hold it the VSC will drop out too with a warning on the display. You can have some real good fun in an empty car park with a foot of snow - not that I've ever done it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links