Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvti Throttle Response

Markph

I think you will have to use lower gears. I used to have a mk2 vw golf with a 90hp 1.8l before I bought my avensis, and I have had to learn to use lower gears when I need to accelerate. My experience with toyota engines is that they, with the possible exception of the 3Y in an old HiAce, need quite a lot of rpm to work, compared to, for instance, vw engines for instance.

I would partly agree with the previous poster, but I think the 2.0l vvti has a good torque. Actually VW 8 valve engines in light bodies during the 80's and 90's were more flexible than 16 valve engines of the time, and in heavier cars. Note that even VW own 16 valve engines were a classic case. No bottom end, all top end.

Back on the subject, I think that Mark actually thinks there is a fault and the car hesitates. This may indicate a fault.

Mark, can you give more specifics like rpm, speed, gear and the situation when the car displayed issue.

The vvti supposed to help with the low speed response.

May be owners of similar engine model may have ideas.

Konrad

Mine is exactly the same low end is garbage get it above 3500rpm and it goes like stink also 2.0vvti

I would partly agree with the previous poster, but I think the 2.0l vvti has a good torque. Actually VW 8 valve engines in light bodies during the 80's and 90's were more flexible than 16 valve engines of the time, and in heavier cars. Note that even VW own 16 valve engines were a classic case. No bottom end, all top end.

Back on the subject, I think that Mark actually thinks there is a fault and the car hesitates. This may indicate a fault.

Mark, can you give more specifics like rpm, speed, gear and the situation when the car displayed issue.

The vvti supposed to help with the low speed response.

May be owners of similar engine model may have ideas.

Konrad

I have never driven a vw 16v, but I have read that the 139PS KR engine was criticised for having too little low end torque. The 129PS PL engine have some differences among other a smaller diameter intake manifold (the larger intake manifold from the KR is sought after by tuners in the US where that engine was never sold) that is supposed to give more low end torque. I have driven a '00 audi a4 with a more modern 20v 125PS 1.8, and even though that car was heavier than my avensis, it felt like it had more low end torque. My mothers '99 corolla with a 4a-fe (non-vvti) has even less low end torque than my avensis, so I think that the vvti does work, I just wished that it would work better and give more low end torque than it does. AFAIK the vvti just varies the timing of the intake valves, not the duration or the lift height, so we shouldn't expect any miracles.

• Like 1