Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Left Suspension Noise Over 130Km/h

brainii

Anytime I go over 130km/h on the highway, some weird sound comes from the left front of the car.

Since I recently replaced the stock suspension with KW coilover, I'm sure it's related but don't know exactly what is wrong.

Car is aligned, everything seems tight and properly installed, the noise is not clicking or knocking and doesn't sound like metal to metal contact. The steering wheel is smooth and not affected.

The car does pull to the left very slightly (always not only at high speed) and the sound only comes when doing over 130km/h and happens every time I'm doing over 130.

It sounds like there is something being pulled back and forth by the wind like a loose plastic part (but nothing is loose), or like the suspension metal is rubbing on the bump stops or something (the front of the car is mid way through the height adjustment though and nothing is heard when going over bumps or humps).

When I slow down to around 120km-110 the sound stops.

It's very weird and never happened untill I changed suspension..

Any ideas?

I have an idea for you to check - have a look at the inside of the wheelarch liner & see if there's any sign of rubbing. Wind pressure at high speed could be causing this, especially as the car is sitting at a different height now. I had this happen on my Skyline a few years ago.

Not saying it is this, but it's worth a look just in case ...........

yeah I checked with a flashlight, no evidence of rubbing. I called my mechanic, he'll have a look at some point, he said it shouldn't be anything serious.

weird though

I was checking youtube trying to find videos with similar sound.

videos that I think approach my sound refer to sway bar end link damage.

I'll tell my mechanic when I go, in the meantime no highway driving in this car!

• 2 weeks later...

I lifted the car up today at the mechanic.

Some plastic covers near the engine and the front left were semi-loose, probably they are the cause of the noise.

We tightened everything back up, should be fine now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links