Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Re-Programming Key

Tony Woollacott

Hope someone can help with this seemingly confusing topic.

I have recently acquired a 2002 three door with only one good key. The spare key was just a blade, the fob having broken off at some point. So I found a 2 button key complete with fob on eBay, which I have now fitted with the blade for my car. The fob now needs re-programming as it was for another vehicle.

I have tried the recommended method to program, but when I get to step 6 where you hold both buttons for 1.5 seconds and then immediately press lock button for 2 seconds, nothing happens.

Could this be because the fob needs to be formatted first to remove the existing program? and if so how is this done?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar problem when I bought my Rav4, and found my answer to reprogramming the transponder on youtube.

I followed the instructions shown in a short video clip that someone had posted, and it worked like a charm.

I will send you a link tomorrow when I can get to my computer. I'm using an iPhone just now and it's hopeless.

Make sure that your replacement transponder is compatible with your original one. The first one I bought could not be programmed regardless of which method I followed, so I tracked one down with the same ID (series of numbers and letters) stamped on the side of

the transponder casing and this one worked fine.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

here is the link to the video clip. It is for a Toyota 4runner 2003-2006 but worked for my 2004 Rav4.

Check again that your replacement transponder is compatible with your existing master key transponder by opening them up and comparing the ID (numbers and letters) printed on the plastic case of the transponders.

I tried a few of the other procedures (opening and closing doors, pressing accelerator and brake pedals etc) without any luck then tried this method.

Hope it helps.

Thanks very much, I had a go last night, but no joy. My master key was glued closed so I had to destroy it to get to the codes inside. Once I got there I found that they did not match my new key. I will have to source another compatible one, any ideas where to find one?

Hi Tony,

I got mine on eBay, plenty for sale.

The number on my original transponder is 50171. This is stamped on the one that I got from eBay as well, and my RAV is a 2004 model.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links