Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suggested Tyres For 18 X 7.5 Wheels

Qu1ckn1ck

Have just bought a new set of Team dynamic "Visage" forged alloys for the GT86. I now need to buy 225 40 R18 tyres for them - has anyone any recommendations for best performing tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is likely to have their own favourite brand of tyre, but IMO, the size of tyre is just as important. I'd be looking for 215/40, so as not to be adversely affecting the handling and acceleration too much.

I used to run 225/40/18 on a Celica Gen 7, but replaced them after just two weeks!.

I see from mx5driver, you had tyres fitted a few days before my reply.

Yes, thanks for your response but unfortunately I seem to get very little immediate reaction to queries on this forum. The new wheels and tyres were fitted to the GT today and taken for a short run to check them out. I am very happy with the handling so far.

Do you drive an MX5 too ?

Everyone is likely to have their own favourite brand of tyre, but IMO, the size of tyre is just as important. I'd be looking for 215/40, so as not to be adversely affecting the handling and acceleration too much.

I used to run 225/40/18 on a Celica Gen 7, but replaced them after just two weeks!.

Should be negligible effect on acceleration as only 1.9% difference against oem wheels/tyres at 20 mph for the same gear/revs.

OEM 215 45 R17 wheels/tyres 20 mph

My new 225 40 R18 wheels/tyres 20.38 mph

My Legacy spacesaver T135 70 D17 19.86 mph

Quite happy that the my new wheels and my spacesaver closely match the oem wheels for revs to mph ratio.

Do you drive an MX5 too ?

No, Nick..insufficient leg room for me unfortunately. I bought an MG TF for the other 'arf instead.

I found your post on the MX5 forum, by searching for the "Visage" alloys :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

18" rims will rob your car of power. My celica gains another 12 HP by running 15" Volks with Toyo T1R,s and can beat Skylines and wrx,s. Read my post on wheels on pg 1 of the Celica Forum to see how..

No noticeable difference in road performance. The forged 18 inch wheels are lighter than the OEM 17 inch ones and as explained with the lower profile tyres fitted the difference is only 1.9% greater in circumference.