Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cv Joint Or Some Thing Else?

roks

Hi All,

For a while I've been hearing this 'clicking' noise when turning right, more so when the right turn is slightly uphill. Every now and then I also hear a lighter clicking when turning left.

After some searching this forum and the web and diagnosed it as cv joint and been planning on changing the joints but never got to it until now.

During the MOT test in July, I told the guy about the clicking and he said the cv boots looks fine, not damaged. He put the wheel in full lock and turned it and no clicking.

I had a 2nd thought just before buying the joints as some peoples issues did not get fixed after replacing the joints.

Someone on the web suggested I put the steering in full lock and drive in revers. Well I was in a Sainsbury's car park and I tried driving in reverse in both direction, in full lock. I also tried 1st and 2nd in full lock, both direction, no clicking what's so ever.

I am now doubting the cv joints and think it could be something else as the right turn click sometimes happens even when not in full lock. Maybe I'm mistaken the clicking, could it be a light clunking?

Also, I cant exactly confirm that the clicking is coming from the front. It sounds more like the rear /behind me.

So I need some opinions from you guys, thanks in advance.

It may be the power steering?

Please elaborate, mine has electric pas.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, only seems to happen (ticking) when turning from a stop position or low speed and steering is not actually in full lock, rather halfway.

CV joint, check the rubber boots for splits and grease everywhere. I have exact same problem. However I have left it too long to getaway with just a new boot :(

thanks.

Is it worth buying whole drive shaft 2nd hand (60k miles) £120 for both.

Or New joints only, from Euro Car Parts ~£115

I think it will be easier to replace the entire drive shaft as splitting the joint will be a !Removed!.

I just replaced the drive shaft a few days ago on my rolla. Remember gearbox oil will drain out when you do this.

Remember gearbox oil will drain out when you do this.

Thats a shame, cos I replaced the gear oil only couple of months ago.

I think it will be easier to replace the entire drive shaft as splitting the joint will be a !Removed!.

I just replaced the drive shaft a few days ago on my rolla. Remember gearbox oil will drain out when you do this.

so was it the drive shaft that was causing the knock

• 3 months later...

OK, I know its been a while but this ticking noise there. Only when turning (right mostly) with bit of throttle.

No clicking during a full lock turning a car park and not clicking when the car was off the ground in garage.

• 3 weeks later...

exactly the same thing

got mine sorted for £55 supplied and fitted,

new cv joint not just the gaither

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links