Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Rear Coil Spring - Bumper Stop

LeeADAB

Noticed a knocking noise on rear right spring. Only happens when going over larger bumps in road.

Looked earlier and can see that the rubber at the bottom of the spring is cracked/deteriorated. Is it just a matter of jacking up and swapping for a new one. Will change both as they've never been done before.Does anyone know a part number for it? Where to buy? Alternatives?

Thanks in advance, Lee

post-105906-0-63572800-1381081004_thumb.

Its easier to fit the spring assisters you can buy from shops (spring assister shops) and fit one to each side. The bump stop getting bumped kinda tells me the springs are either getting worn/weaker or you're carrying loads. The assister solution is cheaper and easier.

Thanks Ian,

I will have a look at the assisters option but to be honest if that's a sign of them getting weaker I will probably look to replace both coils and bump stops. I sometimes take five adults loaded with baggage and roof box but otherwise its normally just two adults a baby and a dog.

Would you recommend any brands of coils or should I go direct to my local toyota parts and get genuine? I have always loved the ride and handling of my RAV and don't really want to risk changing brands if non-genuine parts may feel very different?

I would definitely change both rear but would it be recommended to change the fronts too. It's done 80K miles and is in it's 10th year!! :)

Ok so after some further investigation I have found the part.....

post-105906-0-68527700-1381158988_thumb.

As the left side doesn't knock at all with the rubber stopper is intact then wouldn't replacing just the stopper solve the noise? I imagine both the coils would wear evenly? I went over a few speed bumps earlier and it didn't even make a noise. It really is just the odd extreme bump. Other than that it handles perfectly. Maybe the left one also contacts regularly though as the rubber isnt perished I would never have known anything was wrong with the coils?

Is the rubber stopper part of the used suspension or literaly as last resort protection?

I am happy to replace the coils too if that is what's needed but if it's just the rubber then that's even better.

I will jack the car up and try to see if the coil has broken at the top which I have read that can happen. Other than that the car handles perfectly and has a great ride as always.

All a bit clearer now. The bumpstop is "the last resort" and comes into play only when the spring is almost fully compressed - big bump, or excessive load.

The rubber cushion around the end of the spring could have become split and/or displaced. I've also seen a write-up somewhere about a spring breaking very near one end of itself (where the tempering supposedly transitions), which isn't always easy to see at first glance. jack up the vehicle and let the suspension arm dangle to get a good look at all the spring parts.

For clonks, check also shock absorber ends (bushing, nuts), and rear anti-roll-bar bushes (front ones wear out, but rears do seem to survive).

Chris

Thanks Chris - Will look at those too while I investigate the coil. As the bushes will never have been done either I'm thinking it would be a good time to refresh them. Can they be replaced with a coloured Poly type bush? That way I can visually see what has been changed? Or do people just leave them until they fail?

I did have a quick look at the ones at the top of the shocks (inside the car) and they were showing a few crack lines but still intact.

Cheers,
Lee

Springs:

The bump stops seem to last pretty well, so you may as well replace them with standard Toyota parts, if they need it. Same goes for the cushion at the end of the spring, if split. Probably no choice on this bit.

Shocker bushes and ARB bushes:

On the shockers, it's the top bush on the underside that takes the pounding, rather than the one visible inside the boot area.

Polyurethane after-market bushes are available for this and the ARB.

I went through two sets of FRONT ARB bushes on our 4.2 (rough roads), and wasn't impressed by the durability of the front bushes at all (they ovalled out, causing the bar to make a dull clonk, when ONE front wheel went over a bump - i.e. when the ARB had to do something). Toyota replacements lasted less than 1 year! Oddly, the rear ARB bushes are originals, and show no signs of wear at all.

Got my polyurethane bushes from

PRI Racing Ltd., Cheadle, Cheshire www.priracing.com

who stock the Superpro range of bushes - www.superpro.com Just measure the old ones, and look for a match.

The front poly bushes have now done three years work, with no problems. Grease them with silicone grease (which is included in a bush kit).

Chris

springs are springs. not a lot of difference between toyota and after-market.

yes - the springs do break. as said above, worth checking for a break. its not noticeable due to where they break.

I have tried getting polybushes but failed to find some for the 4.1 RAV, but they are worth fitting if you can get them. Something to do with japanese rubber being radioactive perhaps ?

and break they do!!

post-105906-0-96914600-1381253586_thumb.

Checked all the bushes and from what I can visually see and feel they all look in good condition.
Will look to replace them with poly ones if I can obtain some. The hardest thing really is to remove to measure. It would be nicer to be able to just buy and replace.
So coils and bumper stops needed And maybe cushions too?
Thanks for all the helpful replies as always!! Lee

Ouch! - I have just had quotes ranging from £518 (Factor Coils - Local Garage) - £572 (Genuine Toyota Coils - Main Dealer ) to get both coils and bumper stops replaced. :(

If I buy two KYB Coils for £80 Delivered and the two Rubber stops for another £80 from the parts counter i'm only at £160.

From what I have seen/read I think that I could try myself? Will I need a coil compressor tool. Just that one post I read said that they couldn't get the spring in with them attached? A Youtube video of a 2wd coil replacement looked possible without compressing??

Hi Lee,

According to Haynes, compression isn't necessary: simply detach the lower end of the shock absorber, and lower the trailing arm. I haven't personally done a rear spring replacement, so can't help you with more details of spring removal. I'm sure someone here can help you though.

At least you've found the fault.

Keep us posted!

Ouch! - I have just had quotes ranging from £518 (Factor Coils - Local Garage) - £572 (Genuine Toyota Coils - Main Dealer ) to get both coils and bumper stops replaced. :(

If I buy two KYB Coils for £80 Delivered and the two Rubber stops for another £80 from the parts counter i'm only at £160.

From what I have seen/read I think that I could try myself? Will I need a coil compressor tool. Just that one post I read said that they couldn't get the spring in with them attached? A Youtube video of a 2wd coil replacement looked possible without compressing??

Hi Lee,

I've not done a RAV spring but have done several others in my time.I've never come across one where a spring compressor didn't make a big difference. I once used leather belts when a steel compressor wasn't available!

I have seen some threads here that indicate that the RAV spring replacement is very space dependent but I'm sure there must be a way and as Chris says, one of the members wil, l I'm sure, come forward with some advice.

Cheers Chris & Jim,

Two NEW KYB "RD6508" Coils Ordered and one Bump Stop from Toyota Parts counter. Decided that at over £40 each why replace the one that hasn't been damaged and still looks in very good condition. That's some beer money saved!

Once I have the parts....."I will be able to do it myself" (he says confidently!!).....and report back.

I've changed a rear spring/complete leg on a corolla estate and didn't have a spring compressor, just had two jacks, one holding the leg itself and the other to jack the car body as high as I could.removed top nut and bottom fixing bolt, then keeping body work high lowerered the leg down. jack leg back up when refitting and lower body to fit rear nut.

Worked ok for me.

I've changed a rear spring/complete leg on a corolla estate and didn't have a spring compressor, just had two jacks, one holding the leg itself and the other to jack the car body as high as I could.removed top nut and bottom fixing bolt, then keeping body work high lowerered the leg down. Jack leg back up when refitting and lower body to fit rear nut.

Worked ok for me.

Forget the nonsense I've posted above as after looking at the rav it's totally different to the whole shock/ spring unit which was on the corolla, the rear springs were like the FRONT shock and spring arrangement on the rav. Hopefully you can get it sorted easily and let us know how it was done please.

You can do it yourself by dropping the trailing arms but pay attention to the attached pdf. It makes a meal out of it by suggesting you need the drive shafts off etc when you don't BUT be sure to wire brush the anchor positions of the arms as they each have a vernier scale imprinted on them. They are eccentric mountings that allow adjustment through an offset bush and if you turn them you will have the rear geometry all over the place. Toyota is one of only a few manufacturers to do this so even if you sent it in to a garage the chances are they would ***** it up. Simply clean them up first and put a spot of touch up paint to the vernier so you can put it back where it came from. One further word of warning, they sometimes won't come out and then you are into a messy job with possibly oxy-acetaline to heat them and then new rubber bushes etc. You might well find it all falls apart no problem so at least have a go!

• Like 1

I've replaced the rear shocks and done the front springs and shocks myself. The front needs a spring compressor. the rear doesn't/didn't from memory. Its a quick job so how the garage is quoting that daft money..... well actually in real life they will be replacing springs on cars daily so its a good money spinner.

The early 4.1 RAVs had a recall due to poor springs.

Did I say I use rear caravan spring assisters to reduce the height the front rises on take-off - ie to stop the rear sitting down begging. They do work and the front wheels are only off the ground for a short time.

Interesting info on the Eccentric mountings. Always learning!! Hopefully though I can follow Bob's example on the linked posting......"which was to disconnect the anti-roll bar drop link and the shock absorber, which allows the suspension to drop far enough to replace the spring (just!), while leaving all of the bits that impact the geometry untouched."

Let's just hope that it all undoes nicely when I get started......

For interest/info, I have had the wheel alignment checked by laser equipment on both RAVs and both needed the wheels alignment adjusted.

KYB coils fitted!!

All went to plan. Anti roll bar drop link disconnected and removed shock absorber from top end.

post-105906-0-77531300-1382135285_thumb.

The side that had the broken coil still sits a little lower (5mm ish) which I believe is the shock absorber. Probably worn more since having to dampen more to compensate for the knackered coil.

Time to replace those too then. Does anyone recommend either the monroe adventure or kyb ultra sr?

I just want them to replicate the original oems!

Am leaning towards the KYB ultra sr 243033 at the mo.

Any advice always appreciated!!

...good job! Wouldn't have thought that the condition of a shock absorber would affect ride height, unless its actually partly seized. Disconnect it to check, or just bounce the car a few times, and then check again. 5mm is not a lot, and could be an error of measurement.

And please give that underside a Waxoyl (or similar) treatment!

Chris

Likewise - nice work. I agree with Chris and in any case I would run it for a day or two before measuring. Don't forget the fuel is not dead centre and could effect the ride height and even then I wouldn't fall out over 5mm.

Is that copaslip on the spring? It isn't really necessary to grease the spring seats but if you do, good quality bearing grease will last much longer. That copaslip will congeal to a dried out clay in 6 months time.