Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Or All Advice On Sr180 Greatfully Recieved.

Motto

Hi all,

Boy am I glad I've found what looks to be a font of all knowledge for all things RAV4!

Technically I'm not a RAV4 owner yet, but I've heard great things about them and a local garage has sourced one for me (I've placed a deposit), but it's an SR180 and there seems to be precious little info on that spec on Parkers Guide which pretty much lumps all D4D's together.

It's a rather nice looking 09 plate SR180 with 27,000 miles on the clock, it looks in great condition and I'm told that it's worth £14k, but mine for £13k trade.

With my limited car knowledge, and with the bewildering range of versions of RAV, I'm struggling to see if this is a good deal. Parkers seems to suggest £12,500 is a 'good condition' value for a non-franchise dealership for metalic paint and protection pack, or less than £12,000 without!

Can anyone help me identify...

* Is the SR180 the model to go for

(Anything to make it less desirable than others)

* What the basic SR180 spec actually was?

(I can't tell what an extra is without a list of the basic spec.)

I'm not even sure what the protection pack is, and assuming that it's the black/aluminium plastic looking guard the covers the front bumper fro below the grill and wrap down and under the the car.

Sorry for asking such dullard questions, but I'm new to this and don't want to make an expensive mistake, but also don't want to miss out on a bargain.

I have some photos of the car and the console if that would help identify any features.
Any and All advice would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks all,
Tom

Would this be of any help? http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/bwaftersales/downloads/brochure/RAV4%20July%202009.pdf

Bear in mind it is a July 2009 brochure. Look under Option Packs for details of what the Protection Pack provides.

If you can, check the production date to see whether or not it may be affected by the 2AD diesel engine issues - see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/page-1. Rav4's with production dates after December 2008 should have modified engines. I would imagine a Toyota dealer can provide this if you can quote the VIN.

Big Kev is a regular on here. He is based in the same English county of scotland as you are and he will be on the forum after he has had his beauty sleep and 12 rounds of toast. He has run a SR180 for several years so will tell you everything you need to know. They are good cars and as they are later models, tend to be low in the risk associated with the earlier T180 (engines).

Hi Tom, The info the Chaps have posted above will tell you almost everything you need to know, and, Big Kev will be your new best friend if you buy a Rav.

Regarding price, with all due respect to your garage, it doesn't strike me as a bargain as such, Mr T in Manchester has a very similar car to the one you describe, also with 27k miles at a 'tad' over 12k (before thrashing out a deal) , it's a more basic spec SR without the leather and style but it gives you an idea of what you should be paying. Finally I would advise not to buy a Rav without FULL TOYOTA SERVICE HISTORY.

• Like 2

The black plastic bumper add on is part of the Style pack you should have side steps with it .. The protection pack I believe is the black rubber mouldings which run along the doors halfway up and some rubber mats one of which covers the rear load area floor...

The SR of that vintage did not come with Leather trim or keyless start and entry or roof bars nor Navigation so if you have these they are extras ....

Ya see that, Tom.....? Even spells scotland with a wee "s".........land stealer.

Will send you a PM (Personal Mail) with ma phone number rather than wear oot ma wee fat finger. On the face of it, if that mileage is true, worth anurra look.

Go check your inbox.

• Like 1

This is the fun bit though, Tom........has the indie dealer chap given you any indication of what mpg to expect? If it shows in the PDF brochure that Frostybits has sent ye as 40mpg, press delete.......

Wow, Thanks all, I did not expect that rapid a response!

HaHa Yes Big Kev, noticed the 'wee' 's' indeed, I'm looking out a dvd of my favourite Australian / Scottish actor to calm down.... 'Freedommm!' I'll call you later at a convenient time for you.

If I can get a list of things to check, I'll try and get to the garage tomorrow evening.

It seems a mixed bag. some bits extra other bits missing.

What's there and What's not.

• There's a big 'Toyota SR180' Badge onit an a 'Toyota DCAT' on the side. No other indication of styles.
  • I didn't notice the rubber bits on doors, (See photo), but the side steps are there and the front protection
  • The car was clean inside but no mats
  • I've been told that it has electric folding mirrors, which I can't see anywhere in any of the stuff I've been reading as part of the spec for the range.
  • I don't think the doors 'double lock' unless there is a trick to pressing the button on the manual key, but I've seen some adverts that mention it as standard. (how can I check)
  • The stereo looks like the 6 disc change mp3 cd type, I can't see where the aux port is
  • There's a NAVI button on the console but that ain't no satnav screen, but the handbooks I've downloaded don't mention what it does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_f_macfarlane/10153625676/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_f_macfarlane/10153632506/in/photostream/

The Cost!

I admit that I don't see where the £14000 number comes from and even the £13000 trade seems steep. Parkers guide says that metallic paint + protection pack makes the 'indie' price £12,252 or a private price £11,722.

I'm getting it down to £12000 via a trade with a 7 year old Scenic with 'issues' and no service history.

I want dump my current car while it has any worth, and it's not worth much as it is!!!

TBH, RAV sounds more expensive to run than a Scenic, but as a munro bagger, I'm not viewing this as an off-road vehicle, but some of the country roads up here can be rutted, muddy, and bad in the snow.

The scenic had loads more space, but was built with plastic, wire, and glue and prone to big bills part failure.

The "2.2 D-4D SR180 5d" seems ideal for the 'rough roading', but the comparing mileage with an experienced SR180 owner would be interesting.

Anybody else notice that the Cruise Control Stalk seems to be Retro-Fit, and fitted upside down???

With regards to the Stereo, I have the same unit in my XT-R. There is a NAVI button, but no Sat Nav on there, and no Aux port in the car, however 6 CD Changer, which will read MP3/WMA CDs so if you're clever you can get about 40 odd albums loaded up in there at any one time.

For how to improve MPG do a search for the Lindop tuning box.. It has been talked about very often... Your engine exactly the same as the T 180.. Your car would have a 7 inch screen right in the middle of the dash panel if it had nav which it looks like it doesent..

The ninglish south if the border will likely not know what a munro is.... Kev will though cod he spend most weekends walking up them !

The Protection Pack should have rear parking sensors, bodyside mouldings and corner protectors on the bumpers.

The double locking should operate when the remote button is pressed twice.

The cruise control stalk should be on the right of the steering column - the photo shows it on the left, and as 'uniquestar' says, is upside down.

Does it have a separate button by the door mirror control, for folding the mirrors?

The double locking should operate when the remote button is pressed twice.

On the 4.2 (not sure about 4.3 perhaps someone could look) there is a sticker on the glass of both front doors about the double locking.

Earwig O, Tom min.....

1. These are not sidesteps, but side TUBES, which only serve to take the blank look off the side view and give the impression of the Rav sitting slightly lower. These have therefore very much been retrofitted, more than likely second hand Manufactured by Bembro in Italy, they are not cheap, as are not the wee plastic bungs in the ends which fall aff when the pop rivet rusts. side steps can act as big big mud flaps on the sides full length, so could be handier for Munro baggers.

2. There is no protection pack fitted due to the absence of the side plastics as stated by Charlie. It should at minimum have standard carpet mats.....these have been wheeched. Is there a rear bumper protector fitted....?

3. There is no AUX port on the SR180, and also no bluetooth phone facility.....this requires to be fitted at extra cost to you for the Toyota module.

4. One must press the lock button twice times to double lock.....seemples.

5. There is no Nav on this car, just standard commonalised stereo buttons.

6. Cannae see much leaway on price when you take into account the sheep of hite you are trading in against it......LOL.

7. Cannot recall having lekky foldy mirrors on my SR180 only last year, but the switch would be in the centre ahent the handbrake lever.

8. In the looming winter temperatures, do not expect more than 32ish MPG. They are not the most enocomical cars oot there, sorry, but they are brill. You may also find if you go mob handed on yer walkies that the term "compact SUV" really does become relevant.....they are not big loaders until rear seats folded down.

8. Also bear in mind the term "soft Roader" as opposed to off roader. IN MY OPINION, FAR TOO MUCH IS EXPECTED OF WHAT IS A TRULY BRILL ROAD CAR by a minority of people......they should buy Landrovers with magnets on the back bumper.....saves ye getting oot to pick up the bits that drop off.

9. Try to get the VIN and I will try to ascertain its engine build date and/or engine replacement history from some folks on here who owe me money.......

10. Foaniz aboot 6.43 this evening, print all this guff out, and I will come to garage with you as "Uncle Kev from Springburn".....now, where's ma flicknife.....?

Just read Jon's note re the cruise control stalk fing.....strangeful......? To be checked.....

The cruise stalk is attached to the steering wheel and the steering wheel is on half rotation so the stalk has followed it. Ergo it appears to be upside down and on the wrong side.................

• Like 1

Just been speaking to new member Tom on t'phone, and even he realised that the wheel had been turned, and he is an IT person FFS......SHAME ON US ALL, except partysmants in Glowks as usual......

CANNOT BELIEVE nobody has picked me up on this after all the drivel I have so far gone into.........THIS CAR WILL BE FITTED WITH A CERTAIN KIND OF TYRE YOU ALL KNOW I LOVE TO WAX LYRICAL ABOUT.........

Tom........we need to talk again......sorry.

My apologies, my Rav doesn't have one, so thought they were fixed....

• Like 1

First press of the locking button locks the car.. Second operates the deadlocks. Third disarms the interior ultrasonic s if have say a dog inside..... Run Flats ? What are they ?.....................

• Like 1

How do Tom.

Wish I'd done some research as you have,then I would now have an SR instead of a T180.

General opinion on here rates the SR very highly.

The one you have in mind looks a good one and not a bad price.

With probably a bit of leeway for squeezing out some 'extras'.

I'd go for it... BK's your man for all things SR.

How do Tom.

Wish I'd done some research as you have,then I would now have an SR instead of a T180.

General opinion on here rates the SR very highly.

The one you have in mind looks a good one and not a bad price.

With probably a bit of leeway for squeezing out some 'extras'.

I'd go for it... BK's your man for all things SR.

Paul are you confusing early SR with later SR ?

T180 has more equipment as standard than the early SR.. Keyless entry and go.. Sat nav... Full leather... Sunroof. Powerfold mirrors.. Voice activation.. the list is endless.....

I as you know am looking for an SR but it has to be the later shape with the revised front. My main reason for letting go of the T180 is I would like a white car (Easier to keep looking clean) And as I do a lot of urban driving now an automatic gearbox ....

Whilst I see a late SR as a positive upgrade I will mourn the loss of my sunroof and full leather which I really like....

All the top end Ravs are awesome cars but if I'm absolutely honest I think the T180 is the best. I will miss my one when its gone..

Doesn't take much to confuse me Charlie..and don't get me wrong, as I've said many times I rate my T180 very highly.

Its big downside is possible future engine failure for those out of warranty.

But there's no point worrying about things that may never happen -;)

• Like 1

Doesn't take much to confuse me Charlie..and don't get me wrong, as I've said many times I rate my T180 very highly.

Its big downside is possible future engine failure for those out of warranty.

But there's no point worrying about things that may never happen - ;)

Think of an early SR180 as a T180 with a lot of kit missing.... Your car will likely never develop a fault mate so why worry ... If it does then that is the time to either trade in or send it to auction...

Doesn't take much to confuse me Charlie..and don't get me wrong, as I've said many times I rate my T180 very highly.Its big downside is possible future engine failure for those out of warranty.But there's no point worrying about things that may never happen - ;)

Think of an early SR180 as a T180 with a lot of kit missing.... Your car will likely never develop a fault mate so why worry ... If it does then that is the time to either trade in or send it to auction...
Tbh Charlie I like my T180 so much that IF? my engine ever turned up its toes I would seriously consider replacing it.

And call it Karma but I wouldn't knowingly offload a failed engine onto someone else.

• Like 1

ANYWAYS, BACK ON BLOODY TOPIC......you don't see me ever drift aff topic.....or snickers even......

METHINKS WE HAVE A NEW DRIVER OF A MIDNICHT BLUE RAV COMING ALONG..........

• Like 1

Nice looking Rav, but might have to bring forward my visit to specsavers next month as I thought the

Colour was carbon quartz (best Rav colour IMHO). And welcome to the club as we'll, if we get any

More Lanarkshire members we will have to start tyre kicking meets.