Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.1 - Latest Problem - Washer Bottle

Worlds End Stu

Hi Gang,

Getting the RAV ready for winter and I noticed no screen wash coming out of the nozzles (pump sounded like it was working) so assumed it had just run out of fluid.

Started filling up the bottle last night and it was immediately ****** out onto the floor.

The filler top is the only part visible on the 4.1. The tube then disappears through a hole into the wheel arch area and until I remove the wheel arch liner i've got no idea what's going on in there.

Checked the Haynes book of lies and apart from telling you where to locate it to fill it up it doesn't seem to get another mention.

Is this another known rot area where I will discover more expensive pipes have reduced to dust? Or could it just be something simple and easy to fix like a plastic pipe has worked loose?

I'd just like to know what horror to expect before I start digging around.

Cheers!

Stu.

Cheers! I can't see eBay at work, but i'll have a look when i get home.

The only problem I have had with the washer system in 19 years was the pipes from front to back freezing and then splitting. Its still the original washer tank so maybe its a hose joint? Odd.

Having looked at the picture of the washer unit on eBay i'm hoping the hose joint has just come adrift and can be put back on.

Worst case I guess i'm looking at a cracked plastic bottle which'll need replacing.

More work this weekend....... :-(

Having looked at the picture of the washer unit on ebay i'm hoping the hose joint has just come adrift and can be put back on.

Worst case I guess i'm looking at a cracked plastic bottle which'll need replacing.

More work this weekend....... :-(

Just a thought, but If the bottle is cracked, is there a possibility of feeding one of those bladders out of a wine box into the original bottle? I reckon the biggest problem would be sealing it to the neck of the bottle but I'm sure there must be a way to do it.

Gotta be cheaper than trying to source a new bottle or paying main dealer prices, assuming that they still do them.

If the jet gets blocked it will blow the pipe off so don't push it back on the refit the bumper without testing it!

The bumper has to come off?????

Oh bugger.

You might be able to find it but it has to come off for many car and certainly the 4.2 and the 4.3.

post-30983-0-87929600-1381468059_thumb.j

post-30983-0-64312100-1381468079_thumb.j

Taking the front bumper off a 1995 RAV I guess would be a task resulting in new fastenings perhaps. Of course, Ancs is an expert at removing bumpers and does it in his sleep so it has been said. Not many people know it, but he can do it blindfolded, with one hand tied behind his back, and the other hand holding a cup of hot bovril.

Mind you, if you were to remove the bumper, then leave it off, it would save some petrol from having lost weight from the car..... now theres an idea for number 1 !! All the rest of the plastic inside the car has been removed.

Its just a pig to wash with the bumper off bothy.

Ah meant tae ask...see yer daihatswee - waur dae the Yaris mechanics sleep? Are they male oar female? Sorry tae be aff topic.....

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got the time to work on the RAV last weekend.

I started off removing the wheel arch liner in an attempt to actually locate the washer bottle.

I only had to remove 4 bolts/self tapping screws and was able to pull the front of the liner away to reveal the washer bottle enough to investigate what was going on.

I got lucky.

Turns out that somehow the rubber pipe from the pump had worked loose. Pushed it back on again and job done!

That makes a refreshing change.

There is nothing but nothing more satisfying than a good job done cheap (as my old boss used to say) :clap:

I finally got the time to work on the RAV last weekend.

I started off removing the wheel arch liner in an attempt to actually locate the washer bottle.

I only had to remove 4 bolts/self tapping screws and was able to pull the front of the liner away to reveal the washer bottle enough to investigate what was going on.

I got lucky.

Turns out that somehow the rubber pipe from the pump had worked loose. Pushed it back on again and job done!

That makes a refreshing change.

[/q

Great to hear you managed to fix your problem.

Reminded me to check my washer mix. always do a 50/50 mix with a sample

in the freezer to check it out after problems with freezing pipes in the

past.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links