Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Service History

Rattymr2

I pick up my T180 next week having bought it without knowing the issues the engines have. As it appears to affect about 8% approximately ish the odds are on my side that it's ok.

However, is the dealer I'm buying off obliged to tell me if it's had any engine work done?

The car has full tsh at the same dealer I'm buying it off. It has done 73k miles and was first reg'd Jan 08.

Once I've run it a couple of weeks I will be put a chip on it of course.

tia

If it's a Toyota dealer they should have the full service/repair history of the car and I can't see why they would want to conceal the fact that the engine has been replaced. Indeed, for many that would be a reassuring selling point.

If it's a 2008 it is still covered under the 7 year/ 111k miles goodwill warranty until it's registration birthday in 2015 at which point you can purchase an extended warranty for another year.

My advice would be, get back to the dealer and ask the question.

Where do you get the 8% figure from by the way?

Not obliged to tell you but its a good selling point if it has had an engine change.

you going for a lindop tuning box as these seem to be one of the most common?

Alex

Simple rough guesstimate. Might be way out though. Reckon about 100k diesel Toyota's sold and about 8k engines replaced/repaired from the 3yr period.

I will be speaking to the service mgr when we pick the car up and I have already looked at the extended warranty but am not happy at feeling obliged to spend £900 for it. I agree it would be a bonus if the engine has been done but another source has told me it doesn't look like it has had major work.

Simple rough guesstimate. Might be way out though. Reckon about 100k diesel Toyota's sold and about 8k engines replaced/repaired from the 3yr period.

I will be speaking to the service mgr when we pick the car up and I have already looked at the extended warranty but am not happy at feeling obliged to spend £900 for it. I agree it would be a bonus if the engine has been done but another source has told me it doesn't look like it has had major work.

Have you tried to contact the previous owner just to see if they will give you some history, especially re the engine?

No, haven't got their details but they had the car from new and traded it in for a new rav.

No, haven't got their details but they had the car from new and traded it in for a new rav.

If you can ask the dealer for a look at the V5 (just to check chassis/engine nos, doncha know) then you can eyeball the previous owner's details in passing.

See me.......see withoot subterfuge or underhandication........"Haw heh Mr Dealer......has this brief had a new mill pit in, min.....?"

If not willing to tell ye, he has something to hide, so cancel deal in your rightful cooling off period.....then suddenly he will reveal chapter and verse.......

See me.......see withoot subterfuge or underhandication........"Haw heh Mr Dealer......has this brief had a new mill pit in, min.....?"

If not willing to tell ye, he has something to hide, so cancel deal in your rightful cooling off period.....then suddenly he will reveal chapter and verse.......

Very true, Oh Venerable Sage of the North (whoops! Almost spelled the V-word wrong!!)

However checking out the previous owner is alway good due diligence when buying a used car. The dealer can tell you the facts but the previous owner can fill in the sometimes very valuable details that aren't in the service history; like, for example, "yes, it's had a new engine from Mr. T but we off-loaded it because it's starting to use oil again". In this example I agree that the new owner would be covered under the goodwill deal for another engine but would he want the hassle or the nagging little fear that it might do it again?

Belt & braces, if you like.

• Like 1

It's got a 12mth warranty on it, isn't 7yrs old till Jan 2015 so am well covered if it does use oil. Just need to rag it into submission.

Ooh, my first post from Kev. I feel honoured. Unless he's trying to post !Removed! up to 5000 posts :)

• Like 1

Oh, yes it will be a lindorp chip. While I've never had a problem with other chip boxes it looks like the lindorp one use the one to go for. Do we get a forum discount on it?

"Ooh, my first post from Kev. I feel honoured. Unless he's trying to post !Removed! up to 5000 posts"

Perish the thought, Fella. BK just naturally suffers from verbal diorrhea of the keyboard. Think of it a bit like the trots that machine-gun the bowl after a bad curry.

I gathered that was the case but didn't expect bk to post on my first full day on the forum.

Never even noticed your extreme lowliness and newness t'forum there, Martin......welcome abroad, and I take no offence at the diarrhoea, spelleded correctly on this occasion........he be a crumber nuncher....

From personal experience of ma auld SR 180, Lindop chip is way to go.