Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mild Concern Re Tyre Wear

Big Kev

Funnerburd Wan's first birthday today, and coindicentally was in for its first 10k service (at 7291 miles).

I was really quite surprised that all 4 tyres are reading pretty even.......at 6mm tread depth. I presume these Bridgestones started life at the normal 8mm. Is 25% worn at this low mileage not a wee bit excessive....? Never allowed to run soft or overinflated.

Is that tread depth as measured by your good self or by the dealer?

And, is that 6mm across the full width?

Measured by dealer David......me check am tomorrow.

I'm sure some Rav owners will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think that's overly excessive. Not all tyres come with 8mm to begin with (I've had several that started with 7mm), plus Funnerbird must weigh nearly a ton & 3/4 surely so not a light vehicle. Every tyre has different wear rates too .....

If they're wearing evenly then that's a good sign too.

I've never had Bridgestones on a Rav until the new one arrived this week Kev so I'm of no real help, the Yokos on the previous two 4.3's lasted very well, the fronts understandably wearing faster than the rears, I have always rotated them at 10k intervals. I don't think the wear on your car is excessive to be honest......Especially with the additional weight of your wallet onboard.

Regards Skint McFlint.

I don't think Kevs "mild" concerns are unfounded.. If we assume he has 6 mill left of eight the current tyres would give 30K miles... But am I the only one who thinks that when tyres drop below around 3 to 4 mill they seem to wear out very fast ? Tread seems to dissapear overnight almost.. Plus we ..Well I change them at 2 to 3 mill as I hate the thought of going below that level of tread on my tyres.

Wear rates on tyres differ from vehicle to vehicle and different brands vary hugely so its a bit hard to put a figure on how long they should last..

Tyres that do long motorway trips will give far more miles than those doing urban miles which I think your car does Kev ?

At least with your low annual mileage mate tyres will last another couple of years at least..

I think we need some bigger photos of that new RAV Paul - can't get the full benefit from the Avatar...........

I don't think Kevs "mild" concerns are unfounded.. If we assume he has 6 mill left of eight the current tyres would give 30K miles... But am I the only one who thinks that when tyres drop below around 3 to 4 mill they seem to wear out very fast ? Tread seems to dissapear overnight almost.. Plus we ..Well I change them at 2 to 3 mill as I hate the thought of going below that level of tread on my tyres.Wear rates on tyres differ from vehicle to vehicle and different brands vary hugely so its a bit hard to put a figure on how long they should last..Tyres that do long motorway trips will give far more miles than those doing urban miles which I think your car does Kev ?At least with your low annual mileage mate tyres will last another couple of years at least..

Yeah......mainly shortish journeys these days, Charlie, and as most of youz on here know, I am not Bridgestone's best advert due to Runflats, but they certainly seemed to yield better than 2mm for 7.3k miles.......and like yourself, I tend to bin them around 3mm.

I think we need some bigger photos of that new RAV Paul - can't get the full benefit from the Avatar...........

I took this one when it arrived home David, it's been in the garage all day undergoing collinite wheel seal surgery, mudflaps fitting etc, will take some more pics tomorrow weather depending. Wasn't sure about the pearl white in the showroom but think we made the right choice now. Keeping to BK's thread, note Bridgestone tyres.

34b8314e-a749-478f-92ab-1f42b551f59e_zps

• Like 1

Mmmm Yes but Kev those run flats are made or forged from Bakelite ?

I agree with all of Charlie's comments but as David implied you need to measure them yourself.

My dealer has incorrectly measured mine and then measured them again months later and recorded an increase in depth on all tyres!

David

• Like 1

That very nice indeed Paul... The lack of very late low mileage 4.3 SRs is making me consider the new shape cars.. White is awesome !

Only trouble is is as I fund my own cars and refuse to take finance it will mean waiting a while....

Be interested to hear your comments on the car...

The Contis I had on my old Yaris wore down at about 1mm a year, Conti Premium 5's on this one seem to be wearing down faster, maybe 2mm/yr.

Bizarrely, the wear rate seems to be even front and back, whereas you expect the fronts to wear down faster! :eek::unsure:

That very nice indeed Paul... The lack of very late low mileage 4.3 SRs is making me consider the new shape cars.. White is awesome !

Only trouble is is as I fund my own cars and refuse to take finance it will mean waiting a while....

Be interested to hear your comments on the car...

Thanks Charlie. I will get a couple of weeks running about done and let you know.

I took this one when it arrived home David, it's been in the garage all day undergoing collinite wheel seal surgery, mudflaps fitting etc, will take some more pics tomorrow weather depending. Wasn't sure about the pearl white in the showroom but think we made the right choice now. Keeping to BK's thread, note Bridgestone tyres.

34b8314e-a749-478f-92ab-1f42b551f59e_zps

Well, keeping on topic, not much wear on those tyres ;)

Car looks very sharp too Paul. The combination of the pearly white, black and chrome sits really well.

Don't know if this helps BK but our 5dr 4.2 always ran on BS's. It went through 10 (including the original spare) in about 82K miles. i.e. 2 full sets of 4 plus two more rears; for some reason the second set on the rear didn't last as long as the originals at that end nor the fronts. When we traded the car in, it still had 4-5mm all round.

I agree with all of Charlie's comments but as David implied you need to measure them yourself.

My dealer has incorrectly measured mine and then measured them again months later and recorded an increase in depth on all tyres!

David

Much apprecified, David........measuriser out tomorrow, and if they have read wrongly, I shall report......both here and at Dealer.

Funnerburd Wan's first birthday today, and coindicentally was in for its first 10k service (at 7291 miles).

I was really quite surprised that all 4 tyres are reading pretty even.......at 6mm tread depth. I presume these Bridgestones started life at the normal 8mm. Is 25% worn at this low mileage not a wee bit excessive....? Never allowed to run soft or overinflated.

I estimated that the Bridgestones started with 7.5mm. My SR180 used 1mm per 10,000 miles on the front and about 70% of that on the rear. So that does seem a wee bit excessive to me. As others have said, you'll need to measure them yourself ... :)

The old 4.3 standard Yokohama Geolandars G91 I bought in aug2011 measured 8mm as new. I recorded them in May2012 (about 8 months later, estimating 10k miles, as I did about 15k that year) they were 5.5mm on the fronts and 6.5mm on the rears. Great tyres but Not brilliant wear!

Just replaced the fronts with Yokohama Geolandar G-012 ATS which come with 9mm tread, so hopefully will last longer.

I would expect yours to have had 8mm from new and 6mm now isn't great but not surprising. Def double check them though as 6mm ALL around seems like lazy measuring!!

Dave

The old 4.3 standard Yokohama Geolandars G91 I bought in aug2011 measured 8mm as new. I recorded them in May2012 (about 8 months later, estimating 10k miles, as I did about 15k that year) they were 5.5mm on the fronts and 6.5mm on the rears. Great tyres but Not brilliant wear!

Just replaced the fronts with Yokohama Geolandar G-012 ATS which come with 9mm tread, so hopefully will last longer.

I would expect yours to have had 8mm from new and 6mm now isn't great but not surprising. Def double check them though as 6mm ALL around seems like lazy measuring!!

Dave

What a stonker of a euphamism, Dave....."lazy measurement".......check one, write up 4 tyres........

Dave

What a stonker of a euphamism, Dave....."lazy measurement".......check one, write up 4 tyres........

It sounds more of a medical terminology than a technical /automotive one, I've heard it before somewhere, possibly in a one to one, but exactly where I was escapes me

Flacid............

I wore out the first set of Bridgestones on my red RAV in less than 20k (16 rings a bell) and that was partly due to shoulder wear. The Duellers on this SR are noisy (more so from the rear) and will be replaced with Yokos when they are worn out. Yokos were much quieter on my later RAVs and gave a more compliant ride. I can't wait to bin the BSs but it will take me years at the current annual mileage. Even my Yoko winter tyres are quieter and they have a supposed higher noise rating.

If these bloody tyres only last "20k or less", Mrs. Bridgestone herself better phone ma wife and explain/apologise........I will be the chubby chap in the background with noise cancelling headphones on..........

Concur with noise remarks....last few thousand miles on my SR180 were spent on Hokoyama Advan ST80 summer tyres.....almost silent compared to these and brilliant wet or dry grip.

EDIT........CONFIRMATION.......ALL 4 tyres have 6mm tread, measured at 3 different sites each tyre.

The word pish does not even cover it......7300 miles....? 2mm of wear......?

haw haw (English for haha)

Bridgestones are a waste professionals biggest nightmare to process, altho BK seems to be doing a good job of it. Wheres all the rubber being left big man ? So I can avoid the rubber pebbles left lying aboot the streets o Glesgae?!

Its the weight o the car + 5 doors an aw they hinges. Remove the rear doors and replace wi plastic sheet; throw out the plastic trim that weighs 0.7 tons in a 5 door RAV; an fill yersel wi helium afore drivn tae the shops.....

When oan the road, ah use Falkens, n a set of Falken like tyres (cannae remember the name) which don't leave rubber tyre marks oan landing. An being a 3 door, ah don't waste rubber scrubbing when turnin roon corners. Nummer wan ony has 50% o the dashboard replaced wi all other plastic removed. Even the sun visors hae bin binned cos we don't get an awfy lot o sun up here. An cos I use good tyres, ah dinna carry a spare wi aw that weight. (Ah'd touch wood but theres nane o that neither.) Even the steering wheel is smaller and removeable. Well, whits the point o haeing a steerin wheel if the front wheels spend maist o their time aff the grun?

Right enough the rear tyres wear first but thats cos the fronts spend most of the time aff the grun.

• Like 1