Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Front Brakes Requried

big al your pal

i have to replace my front brakes pads and discs .how much or can i do this my self what tools would i require how long should this take

If it is anything like my 1998 Avensis, very easy.

You need a good socket set. Star drive bits if they are used in place of bolts. If your caliper has allen bolts, then a standard brake allen key. Big screwdrivers, pliers, and a torque wrench so similar - something with an long handle for leverage. Axle stands for safety. Cable or similar to support the caliper so as not to strain the brake pipe. Brake cleaning spray or a similar spirit to remove the package grease off the new disc surface. WD40 for stuck nut and bolts. Emery cloth to clean hub mating surface.

It is best to push the piston back in the caliper by using a big screw driver to lever the caliper out against the old pads and disc.

On some cars you may need to remove the caliper bracket. This is where you need the torque wrench or similar.

The next depends on whether the discs are loose or tight on the hub.

If tight the following applies.

You may need a couple of 13mm bolts to screw into the old disc, if it anything like a Corolla I worked on a few years back. It was stuck on the hub and the bolts which came from a Maestro brake fitting kit, had the same thread and did the job.

Clean the hub mating surface. Clean the new disc to remove grease.

If the disc are a tight fit, use the wheel nuts to pull the new disc on.

Then reverse for the rest of the parts.

Very important!!! Don't drive until you do the following.

When completely finished pump the brake pedal until it comes up to level. The first press or two will go to the floor.

Gentle braking for 200 miles or as stated in document that came with the discs.

Whole job if no problems should take about an hour or so.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links