Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluespark Chip For Sr180

Beags

I know theres an old thread about chips floating around on here, but it got so massive and cumbersome to wade through. Today I have purchased the CR Tech 2 chip as per here, which claims 204Bhp and 460Nm of torque: http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/carspecs2?carid=5525

It retails for 150 quid, but they're doing a deal on eBay right now and I got the thing for £80.

When I get it, I will plug it in and let you guys know how I get on!

Must admit, I'd never heard of these guys before so it'll be interesting to hear your findings after a week or two of testing. If you only bought it for economy, then try driving absolutely normally - it's only that way you can compare MPG before & after. If you bought it for more power, then the chances are you'll use more of what's available anyway. Either way, I hope you find it worthwhile :)

I'll let you know. I wont drive it any differently to how I drive it...and I do a lot of urban driving around London and average around 320miles on a tank....

I was fiddling with my RaceChipPro today, turned it right up to a point where I get a bigger grin but the fuel economy is unaffected... I'll be interested to see what kind of adjustments you have and how you get on when it is in your hand.

A write up with pics would be awesome!

Ok...bad news already! They sent me the wrong connectors. I have a 6 pin set up, not the 3...so its another 40quid! :( Its on its way back, replacement next week!

Oops ! Hope it's turned around quickly ......

Ok, the 6 pin version arrived and Ive spun it around....what a difference. Faster pick up, less turbo lag from rest and it screams up with power all the way to around 4600ish revs....whereas around 4200, there was nothing. You dont have to put your foot down so hard from rest to get the thing going. Its much improved. Will let you know re MPG as soon as I get data! But on performance.....its definitely great! Ive already got a K & N panel filter fitted - but no noticeable smoke issues either... SR200?....Im guessing so now!

What setting do you have the box on ? It must be pretty high if you're noticing that much of a difference ?

Standard setting....dont want overfuelling issues...the highest setting they claim 207BHP... Im happy with nearer 200. Not completed a tank of fuel yet to detirmine if its more economic....it has to get past 320miles on a tank to prove the claim... Its definitely a lot smoother, and quicker too...torque claims of 460nm now...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...no improvement to economy noticed, its exactly the same. I guess the throttle needs less squeezing now in everyday motoring as the pick up is much better. But my love of the extra power compensates this now! The power band has expanded...Before it was Boom! At 2000-4000rpm and not much either side....now it surges in around 1700 nice n smoothly and carries on pulling to 4500. Its SO much better, and 1st and 2nd gears are far quicker.

I've been thinking of getting a tuning box for my SR180 but didn't want to spend £400 odd on one, £150 is much more like it :)

What's the difference with there £200 one over the £150?

How come these tuning boxes don't have incar adjustable settings? so you can change the map while driving, then you could have it set for MPG most the time, flicking to higher power when you need it.

• Like 1

I've been thinking of getting a tuning box for my SR180 but didn't want to spend £400 odd on one, £150 is much more like it :)

How come these tuning boxes don't have incar adjustable settings? so you can change the map while driving, then you could have it set for MPG most the time, flicking to higher power when you need it.

Because people faff around changing the settings whilst driving, for one it is dangerous and two, the T180 engine is tricky to map and flicking between economy and power whilst driving WILL bring on an EML light

How many connections are there on this kit?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Because people faff around changing the settings whilst driving, for one it is dangerous and two, the T180 engine is tricky to map and flicking between economy and power whilst driving WILL bring on an EML light

How many connections are there on this kit?

I understand the switching on the fly idea wont work if ecu will moan about it, but not the danger.

No more danger than adjusting heating controls, wipers etc.

Says it connects to each injector and the ecu.

Or making a phone call or faffing around looking for a CD in the glove box.......Yep no more dangerous than turning the wipers on I can see that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kingo - Bluespark can come in 3 pin, or 6 pin. 6 pins are £150. Sadly I had to upgrade....but for £150 I now have a car that I have dynoed this weekend at 204Bhp and 460nm of torque. My car is standard, apart from the K&N panel filter, which might account for 1-2bhp possibly.

There are 3 settings on the box, econ, power/econ and power. It comes supplied on the middle setting, and I have no desire to squeeze another 4-5bhp more and cause issues. It runs so much better. As said before, its more smooth, the turbo picks up around 1700rpm and it keeps going to around 4500ish ( as opposed to 2000-4000 of huge surge). The other great thing now is that in 6th gear at 70-80 there is now power there to surge past things. Before at this speed it seemed to be revving just below the sweet spot, now its wonderful!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

False statement, that it's not as good....buy it for more power, you get more power, buy it for £150 rather than £400 it's cheaper, these are true statements!

204 BHP against 210 BHP, true statement, mine works better

460 NM of torque against 470 Nm true statement, mine works better

£150 plays £400, false statement, mine is £375

I can actually prove by way of a Dyno graph what my box is capable of, fact ,)

Doesn't take anything away from the fact that the Lindop kit is more than twice the asking price though ........ for some people that's more than enough justification to buy the Bluespark unit.

Yep I get that Uncle Buck, but people should be aware of what they are buying. Bluespark actually make reference to NOT being TUV approved, just to save money, what that means is the cheapest possible components can be used, which often means the longevity of the product will be poor. You pays yer money I suppose.....................

Prospective purchasers will possibly not be concerned re supposed cheaper components.

They will no doubt be questioning as to whether an extra potential 6 BHP and 10Nm of torque is worth £175?

Plus a higher insurance premium (probably unlikely though) because of the extra power and torque comparing one to the other.

204 BHP against 210 BHP, true statement, mine works better

460 NM of torque against 470 Nm true statement, mine works better

£150 plays £400, false statement, mine is £375

I can actually prove by way of a Dyno graph what my box is capable of, fact ,)

Kingo - Bluespark can come in 3 pin, or 6 pin. 6 pins are £150. Sadly I had to upgrade....but for £150 I now have a car that I have dynoed this weekend at 204Bhp and 460nm of torque. My car is standard, apart from the K&N panel filter, which might account for 1-2bhp possibly.

There are 3 settings on the box, econ, power/econ and power. It comes supplied on the middle setting, and I have no desire to squeeze another 4-5bhp more and cause issues. It runs so much better. As said before, its more smooth, the turbo picks up around 1700rpm and it keeps going to around 4500ish ( as opposed to 2000-4000 of huge surge). The other great thing now is that in 6th gear at 70-80 there is now power there to surge past things. Before at this speed it seemed to be revving just below the sweet spot, now its wonderful!

I just want to add my 5p of experiance with car modification, longevity and cheapness.

Car modification is a big market, when purchasing a product or a part you need to understand what the product offers versus the cost.

Reliability and components installed in the product can and will show a superior product. Secondary how does the component interact with the ECU and if its EU / TUV approved.

Its not all horsepower and torque but you need to consider the AFR , EGT, BOOST, fuel comsumption and ignition timing versus detination / pinging. I have to agree with Kingos remark that the 2AD-FTV engine is very very picky when it comes to tuning and you shouldnt be changing the parameters on the fly especially whilst driving.

Just becase the chip costs 200£ does not make it superior, they are cheap for a reason. I am not saying all cheap things are bad, but a dead engine is 1500£ to replace, a broken turbo is 300 to 500£ and a blocked DPF and cat can run into the thosands and lets leave the injectors out of the equivalent for now ;)

Once you have looked at all the above you need to look at the way the power is being delivered, is it thrown in all at once? is it gradually pushed in? whats better a longer lasting clutch and transmition/gearbox/driveshafts or do you want them snapping off lol

Further to that.. some of these products just increase the BOOST and drop tons of duel in, its like crossing your legs and not going to the toilet. The superior box will be one that will put less BOOST and fuel in and makes equal or more /less power for its efforts.

Gents show me your Dynos, AFRs EGTs and what BOOST the product is running. Put the money where the mouth is ;)

• Like 1