Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 Dangerous Flat Spot

markyc100

Hi members. I hope someone on here can help me. I have a 2006 verso t180 which has a massive flat spot until about 2300 rpm at which point it goes well like the turbo is kicking in full force. The car has had a 3/4 engine replacement in February this year and has been fine as far as water/oil consumption goes. The car is dangerous setting off as there is no power at all. I have had the Egr valve off and given it a clean including the surrounding areas. Could the valve be sticking ? Any other ideas?

When was the fuel/air/MAF changed or cleaned last? What fuel are you using? Have you tried giving it a good hard razz and keeping the revs high?

You need to plug in a fault code reader! Starting to sound like a turbo problem maybe? 🙈💨

Hi, no faults recorded or lights on. Fuel filter not changed since I've had it unless Toyota changed it when they did the engine. The MAF sensor has not been changed to my knowledge. Fuel wise I either use she'll or Bp standard fuel

Toyota would not have changed the fuel filter when the engine changed happens. MAF can be cleaned with electrical contact spray. 1st think I'd do is change to fuel filter...

I personally think you haven't got how a turbo can work on high power diesels , im pretty sure until you get used to driving these freight trains you get a very jerky drive until probable a 3 month wait of getting it smooth. what you got to realise is that on a 180 your probably getting a extra 80bhp on full boost and silly amounts of torque on boost you will get massive surges in power in boost where as out of boost you will get quite a bit of lag!

Thanks Gug, I am quite used to how turbo's work on diesels, and the lag etc. I don't feel that the turbo is the problem as it boosts well when it should, albeit a little higher in the rev range than it normally would. The problem is before the turbo kicks in from standing starts and pulling away until the turbo kicks in, it's like the engine is being starved of fuel. Like mistermena said I will try and replace the fuel filter and see if this helps. About a month ago I did have the management light on and the car went into limp home mode until I stopped and started it again, I can't remember the code but it said something like large/major fuel leak, his has happened a few times over owning the car, it only happens within the first mile of the journey and from when the car is cold. I have taken the car to Toyota and they have said there is no leak and they would be unsure as to where to start with the problem as it's not specific. I am wondering if it could all be linked and it just needs a filter change?

Toyota tune the D4Ds to have a nice progressive torque curve so it shouldn't have such a hard change when the turbo kicks in unlike e.g. BMW ones.

Diesel has a naturally strong pull at low RPM, esp. compared to petrols, but it drops off quite quickly, but this is nicely offset by the turbo which is why almost all modern diesel are turbocharged.

It will be a bit weaker at low RPM but not to the point where it would feel 'dangerous'.

My first three hunches are the EGR or throttle body are clogged or jammed, the variable geometry turbo isn't varying, or there is a leaky air hose somewhere?

Are there any posts on how to clean the throttle body? I can remember the mechanic saying that they freed the variable vanes on the turbo as some where seized when they did the 3/4 engine rebuild, I will look at the pipes round the turbo and give the erg a good clean, is the manifold which the erg bolts to easy to remove to also clean ? Sorry for all the questions

Take a look on the powerenhancer web site and feed one of the Archoil products through it 1st mate. BG244 is good stuff! Not quite what you're looking for. 🚙💨

Happy days! 😀🙏👀👏👏👏

Just make you're using C2 spec(Low ash) oil. 0w-30 is the preferred grade for the T-180 lump. But you can use 5w-30 if you want to. I use Motul 100%full synth in my rocket ship 🚀 and change the oil and filter every 6,000mls...

Happy days! 😀🙏👀👏👏👏

Just make you're using C2 spec(Low ash) oil. 0w-30 is the preferred grade for the T-180 lump. But you can use 5w-30 if you want to. I use Motul 100%full synth in my rocket ship 🚀 and change the oil and filter every 6,000mls...

Thanks for the Advice mistermena, I will use the oil suggested. Is your t180 standard or have you had it modified?

Mine is running with a K&N air filter and a Tunit box🚕💨

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links