Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Overfill ?

forevered

went down to my local toyota dealer yesterday, as my dipstick oil level was showing about halfway between the low and full markers(did the same last winter) had to push them a bit to top it up as they were busy and i didnt have an appoitment.gave me my keys back without telling me what they had done(as usual) i asked how much they put in and was told about half a litre. didnt check it until last night but the level appears to be a bit above the top dot full mark ? its not a clear defined line like normal, its a bit like theres odd blobs of oil above the full mark on the underside of the dipstick which is the side you check isnt it ? do you think its ok ?

I'm not sure why you took the car to your dealer just to put a bit of oil in, when it's so easily done yourself ? But anyway, take the dipstick out & clean it with a clean tissue/rag & replace it for a few seconds. Then remove it & inspect again - if it's on the full mark then all is well. If it's slightly over I wouldn't worry about it. I very much doubt your dealer would overfill the engine as that places excess pressure on the gaskets, etc.

i took it to the dealer to top up as they dont charge, saves me buying oil. checked it this morning and it looks just about ok, i think because i was checking it too quickly in the rain and wind yesterday didnt do it properly. thanks for the reply

forevered, Do you do a lot of miles? I don't need to top up between annual service.

I agree they can be a complete nightmare to read! Half a litre is nothing on the grand old scheme of things, but you were right to keep it topped up! The full mark is there for a reason, but if its a wee bit over, i wouldnt worry - if its halfway up the dipstick then id be concerned. In my experience, most dealers overfill a little after a service!

forevered, Do you do a lot of miles? I don't need to top up between annual service.

i do about 10k a year. its happened between the last two services needing about half a litre.they kept an eye on it the first time it happened and when it went in for the service about two months after they filled it up, it hadnt used any and they supposedly did the compresion test (think thats what they call it) and it was ok. they couldnt see any leaks the first time, and i cant see any this time.

I find mine doesn't display any noticeable oil consumption under normal use, but if I start pushing the RPMs then it tends to burn a bit...