Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.4 D4D 2007 Power And Torque Curves

Grippen

Hello guys,

It has been long time since I came to the forum.

Recently I had a problem with my Auris after 150 000 Kms and 6 years on the run the turbo starting making a whistle noise. Took it to Toyota and other shops anyway, making story short I decided to fix the problem at the Toyota shop where I do my maintenances.

This was done last week, however I think I'm feeling a lag of power until the 2000 rpm. Before I think I had more power kinda like the Turbo was always available and there was no kick. Right now I feel a kick after the 2000 rpm but before that the car is very low on power.

Just to be sure can someone provide me the official power and torque cruves. Maybe I will go the shop and ask them to show be the current curves of my car for comparasion. It's not even the case of adapting to a new car (while mine was being fixed they gave my a new Auris) since I had the service car for only 1 day. By the way on the new Auris I feel the kick but I also feel more power available in lower rpms.

And since we are discussing it let me know what you tink, if it can be a normal issue since cars and in this case turbos may not be 100% the same and some power differences can be noticeable from car to car.

Thanks

The 1.4D4D has a variable geometry turbo so you shouldn't get as sharp a turbo 'kick' as you do in fixed turbo vehicles, but more a strong progressive sense of increasing torque as you climb the revs.

The torque 'curve' is a pretty linear increase starting from ~600rpm climbing up to a flatline maximum at 1800-2000rpm, where it stays until you hit about 3-and-a-bit-thousand rpm where it begins to tail off.

It almost sounds like your variable turbo has stopped... varying?... as normally it closes its vanes at lower rpms to provide low boost, and opens them at higher rpm to provide maximum boost. If the vanes were stuck open, it would act like a normal turbo and provide no boost and lots more back-pressure at low rpm but suddenly kick in at high rpm when you hit the turbo threshold... :unsure:

I wonder if they forget to reconnect something to the turbo and it's just stuck open?

Did Toyota mention what the whine/whistle came from? What exactly did they repair? Was it just a leaky hose or something?

My old Yaris D4D (Only 3 doors!) had no audible turbo whine, but my new one (Same car,but with FIVE doors! :yahoo:) has much more noticeable turbo whine (And I made sure it wasn't gearbox whine, which both of them have at certain rpm+loads).

After some consulting here, the great and wise fishy informed me that his (also 5-door) D4D had the whine too and, given that the car was performing at least as well as my old (3-door) one, I figured this whine was normal and not indicative of an actual problem.

Hi, first of all thanks for the info. Judging from what you are saying maybe it would have been best just to keep the turbo as it was altought I went to several shops and even spoke with some people I know and they all said it would be best to fix it because the sound normally indicates that the Turbo fan/turbine lost balance. It can run several thousand Kms as it can just stop and in some cases it can affect the engine. As so I decided to fix it. If I knew that I wouldn't be at risk I would keep it as it was until it stopped.

The noise I reported made the car look literally like an ambulance and was quite annoying. I had people looking at me in the street. The diagnosis of Turbo problem was given my Toyota itself and also by a Bosch Car service shop.

As for the repair itself, they placed a new turbo or what they call reconstructed one. Basically they use the same Shell and everything else inside is new. Of course they didn't use the Shell of my car they ordered a reconstructed one and kept mine which will be used in the future on someone else's car.

Now what you are saying makes sence, I never noticed a big kick on my Auris the power output was much more linear than what it is now. I can clearly notice a kick after 2200 RPMs and as I said above it seems to have a power lag in low RPMs. Since I'm tired of Toyota parts quality and I will be changing my car next year I will not go to the dealer. If I make another 15000Kms before I change the car I will address this issue. I just don't have the patience to go there, lose time and gain some white hairs between the process.

Okaay, if the whistle was that loud, that is not normal so I'd say you made the right decision to get it fixed! :lol:

The whistle mine makes is barely audible even at normal speeds!

As for the lag, it does sound like there is some linkage or vacuum hose which controls the variable geometry that isn't doing its job; If you could get them to check that quickly, might sort you out, but I can appreciate the frustration of getting something back with what feels like a half-ubikd job :(

Do we have any dervheads here who have other suggestions??

• 10 months later...

Almost a year now. I got my new car not a Toyota because I wasn't happy with the quality of mine. I did however keep the Auris and I still use it quite often specially to work because I got a Gasoline one.

Anyway as if I wasn't disapointed enough with the Turbo he decided to maulfuction again this time the power steering ECU. The reparing cost could have been quite high but I was lucky to find an ECU from a crashed car with 90K at a very low cost. Summary more 300€. So in less then one year I spent well over 1000€ with it. The reparing was done a couple of months ago and it's running fine minus the turbo lag I mentioned before.

Since I kept the car and I managed to reduce the consumptions I may end up keeping it until it stalls completely. The car has now over 160K. Now you ask me how did I reduce the consumptions. Well I think it is related to the last maintenance I made.

This time I decided to make it outside Toyota. I had done a maintenance on my wife's car there and I liked the result and cost. They only used recommended oils and follow the brand's recomendations to the spot. I went a bit further and decided to buy all the parts myself. As so I bought oil, air filter, cabinet filter, cooling fluid and rear break pads myself. For the oil I used Castrol recomendation 5W30 when Toyota was using 5W40. Eventually changed the oil filter but this was provided by the store
because they forgot to tell me that the oil filter should be changed
also.

So I spent around 30€ in the shop for the labour and filter and around 100€ for the ramaining parts. Besides being cheap they still washed my car inside and out. If it wasn't for the scratches on the paint it looked like brand new. Last week I took it on my vacations. Made around 600 Kms with it all in normal road no highways which means I never kept a steady speed it ranged from 70 to 120 Km/h if not more at certain stages, lots of overtakes and reductions from 5th to 4th gear. While returning I even took around 40Kms of heavy curved road. Always with AC on the result was 5.5l/100 average I remember even seeing 5.4

Under such conditions I should have got something like 6l/100 or more. As so my conclusions are obvious either Toyota parts from the service shop I used in the past suck and in this we can include the air filter for example, the oil is making a difference or both. Fuel cannot be for sure because I put it always in the same place.

Let's see if it continues like this. This behavior even made me wanted to spend some money on him with some improvements :D

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links