Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member - Drl's

152bobby

Hello,

I have just joined today.

I have deserted the Lexus Owners Club after 10 years in the RX section. I had a Toyota Rav4 prior to that, so Ravs are not new to me.

I have just bought (last week) a 2011 Toyota Rav4 2.2 TD SR Auto, it seems to have all the toys on it that my Lexus RX had (except for the power tailgate and the exceptionally smooth ride) :no: , but I certainly don't miss the Lexus's poor MPG and higher running costs :clap: I knew that the Rav was going to be a step down in regards to comfort, especially with the run flat tyres, which for safety reasons are great, but are totally awful when it comes to road noise and comfort.

Anyway, I have a simple question. Has anyone got (as standard) DRL's on their 2011 Rav ? and if not, have they had them fitted ?

I am not really interested in the after market ones, which look like they have just been bolted on, I am only interested in proper Toyota DRL's, otherwise, I will do without.

Thanks

Bobby

Hi Bob and welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Forgive my diminess but what are Drls :huh:

...........aye, Boab, welcome abroad......and if you've got runflats, take car back.......they had dropped them by time your SR was launcheded.

Daylight Running Lights I think?

I don't think Toyota introduced DRLs to the RAV4 until this year with the 4.4, so I believe aftermarket fitments are your only option for a 2011 4.3.5.

And as Kev says Toyota fitted runflats to the T180 and SR180 only (I think) so you really shouldn't have them. Note however that the 'standard' Bridgestone Dueller 687 H/T tyres come on both runflat and normal versions - the only visible difference being the BSR 'runflat' logo on the sidewall. If you look hard, you shouldn't be able to find one! :)

support-ring-76391852.jpg

Hi Bobby,

Your questions answered already ! Welcome to the forum, i'm sure you will find it very useful ! We're a friendly bunch, just don't mention the Wars of Scottish Independence or Land Rover and You will be fine.....

...........so the road noise and comfort will now improve without them, Boab...........?

Hello,

I have just joined today.

I have deserted the Lexus Owners Club after 10 years in the RX section. I had a Toyota Rav4 prior to that, so Ravs are not new to me.

I have just bought (last week) a 2011 Toyota Rav4 2.2 TD SR Auto, it seems to have all the toys on it that my Lexus RX had (except for the power tailgate and the exceptionally smooth ride) :no: , but I certainly don't miss the Lexus's poor MPG and higher running costs :clap: I knew that the Rav was going to be a step down in regards to comfort, especially with the run flat tyres, which for safety reasons are great, but are totally awful when it comes to road noise and comfort.

Anyway, I have a simple question. Has anyone got (as standard) DRL's on their 2011 Rav ? and if not, have they had them fitted ?

I am not really interested in the after market ones, which look like they have just been bolted on, I am only interested in proper Toyota DRL's, otherwise, I will do without.

Thanks

Bobby

No, no, no, no, Bobby!!

Why do you want to make life evn more difficult for us bikers??! Please do without.

Oh, welcome aboard, by the way.

Hi there and welcome. When my Lexus IS was in the garage getting front end repaired after colliding with a deer. Lexus loaned us a RX for a fortnight. Pity they did not loan us the petrol tanker to go with it. My wife did like the white Axminster carpets though.

Hi there and welcome. When my Lexus IS was in the garage getting front end repaired after colliding with a deer. Lexus loaned us a RX for a fortnight. Pity they did not loan us the petrol tanker to go with it. My wife did like the white Axminster carpets though.

No fluffy dice?

Ive seen them on some European Rav4.3's..... they do exist.

Id probably paint them to match body first, buts looks smart.

DRL-STKMSRAV4_zps7654722b.jpg

I'm sure Jolly Friar Liz came up with a price for these.........cost me a week in coronary care.

I'm sure Jolly Friar Liz came up with a price for these.........cost me a week in coronary care.

I'm sure Hoovie fitted something like those on his Rav before it got nicked.

Covered in this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148714-rav43-led-daytime-lights-instead-of-parkign-lights/

Hoovie's were good, Dave, but kinda developed a life of their own as to when they switched THEMSELVES on.......Hoovie will explain, but I thought it was a poltergheist.......

Hoovie's were good, Dave, but kinda developed a life of their own as to when they switched THEMSELVES on.......Hoovie will explain, but I thought it was a poltergheist.......

Mine worked via a very clever relay that was connected to the Battery, an earth, and to the DRLs and the headlights and I presume used the voltage of the Battery to determine if the engine was running and when running, would turn the DRLs on or off based on the headlight function.

That was the theory, but when I locked up the car, the DRLs used to flash on for a second every few seconds. Don't know if it was a fault with the relay, or something about the RAV (Ring told me some cars acted up and to wire into a different circuit to try but never got round to trying that)

Apart from that, they did look good and as near to OEM I have seen without replacing headlights or cutting sections out of bumpers

First of all, thanks very much for the warm welcome from everyone :D

This Forum knocks the spots off the Lexus RX Forum :clap:

In regards to the RFT's, I have checked them again and there is no indication at all that they are run flats, so I guess I have normal tyres, but why is the ride so bumpy and rough ? (ok, before anyone says anything, coming from the RX to the good old Rav IS going to be different !!). When the tyres run out, I am going to put on Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, which where great on the RX.

I am still going to research the DRL option, (sorry to you bikers), but to be honest, unless I can find something that looks like a factory fit, I am not going to get it done.

I have various other questions in regards to "autolock" and how to use the AM/DAB button, but like all forums, I will use the search facility first and THEN ask for advice, should I not find the answers !!... and I need to get used to phrases like 2001 4.3.5, what happened to MK1, MK2 etc or Generation 2 or 3 for Lexus !!....what do I call my model ?

Am I correct in saying that Big Kev is Scottish :thumbsup: as the only time I get called Boab is when I talk to my brothers in Glasgow or when I get the Oor Wullie book at Christmas from my English wife !!

So, again, thanks for the welcome.

Bobby

Gus, best mind your Ps and Qs - looks like Kev's got an ally in your neck of the woods................

Bobby, I've found the quickest way to find anything on here is to Google it :thumbsup:

In regards to the RFT's, I have checked them again and there is no indication at all that they are run flats, so I guess I have normal tyres, but why is the ride so bumpy and rough ? (ok, before anyone says anything, coming from the RX to the good old Rav IS going to be different !!). When the tyres run out, I am going to put on Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, which where great on the RX.

I am still going to research the DRL option, (sorry to you bikers), but to be honest, unless I can find something that looks like a factory fit, I am not going to get it done.

I have various other questions in regards to "autolock" and how to use the AM/DAB button, but like all forums, I will use the search facility first and THEN ask for advice, should I not find the answers !!... and I need to get used to phrases like 2001 4.3.5, what happened to MK1, MK2 etc or Generation 2 or 3 for Lexus !!....what do I call my model ?

Am I correct in saying that Big Kev is Scottish :thumbsup: as the only time I get called Boab is when I talk to my brothers in Glasgow or when I get the Oor Wullie book at Christmas from my English wife !!

Bobby

And another welcome from me! I am a nubie as well, they are a good crowd aren't they! Oor Wullie, now that brings back memories of when I lived in Dundee as a kid, many, many years ago.

Bobby

Bob.. Your car would be a 4.3.5... A third generation Rav4 and with the facelift so hence the ,5 over the poverty struck members like me who have a 4.3.........

I must be bad boy mentioned landrover twice already oops three times lol

I'm sorry Sir Kevin... I will issue a BK warning next time... :blush:

Hi & welcome to TOC from one of the girls on here... :thumbsup:

The only other option I have thought of is to replace the fog lights with DRL's aka Volvo, Skoda etc..

HTH..

Hello Liz,

Thanks for your input.

I have heard of that, but how does that work with the MOT, as all UK cars must have front fog lights (I think) !!

Bobby

TBH... I'm not totally sure.

But, if they were proper DRL light unit, with specific 'E' numbers, & wired correctly, I can't see a problem..

Only problems might be, either people will flash you thinking you have fog lights on, or be stopped by the cops ?

Have you seen the picture of the brown rav fitted with simular DRL's to the white one above... they have been colour coded.