Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Good Tyres?

shazzy81

Glesga Kiss shall be posted to any Inglishmin abusing a 3 door Rav aff road........hear me........?

• Like 1

My Geolandars are GO12's ! Does anyone know how these compare with the previous generation Geolandars ?

I've had two sets of Geolandar G91's. They were great in the snow and never slipped once.

This time round I've gone for the G012 as they're slightly more aggressive (although NO noisier) and come with greater tread depth (only drawback I found on G91 is they wear too quick)

Both tyres are "all weather" and perfectly suitable for wet, mud and snow in all seasons.

"Winter" tyres are softer compound so don't harden up in winter therefore give better grip- especially cornering or stopping on wet roads. But that doesn't mean all other tyres are rubbish in winter!

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, really pleased with them so far , sure they'll be up to the winter task anyway !

My Geolandars are GO12's ! Does anyone know how these compare with the previous generation Geolandars ?

I've had two sets of Geolandar G91's. They were great in the snow and never slipped once.

This time round I've gone for the G012 as they're slightly more aggressive (although NO noisier) and come with greater tread depth (only drawback I found on G91 is they wear too quick)

Both tyres are "all weather" and perfectly suitable for wet, mud and snow in all seasons.

"Winter" tyres are softer compound so don't harden up in winter therefore give better grip- especially cornering or stopping on wet roads. But that doesn't mean all other tyres are rubbish in winter!

Dave

Spoken well from The Rolling Hills.......will be in Medstead for two hours on Sat. via That Gatwick.......I have driven through 35 winters up here flogging cardboard boxes totally devoid of tyres with wee mountains and snowflakes embossed on them.

Then last year I fitted such tyres to wife's 3 door, and am now converted, but.....

The Rav in 3 previous winters, again devoid of these new fangled tyres, behaved utterly impeccably.

Point.....winter tyres improve things, but are not the be all and end all of careful driving

Dave

Spoken well from The Rolling Hills.......will be in Medstead for two hours on Sat. via That Gatwick.......I have driven through 35 winters up here flogging cardboard boxes totally devoid of tyres with wee mountains and snowflakes embossed on them.

Then last year I fitted such tyres to wife's 3 door, and am now converted, but.....

The Rav in 3 previous winters, again devoid of these new fangled tyres, behaved utterly impeccably.

Point.....winter tyres improve things, but are not the be all and end all of careful driving

Wise words indeed Kev, off topic, heading somewhere a little warmer ?

Nah Paul.......collecting Auris from Medstead driving back to This Scotland unfortunefully.......all in wan day ffs.......

Nah Paul.......collecting Auris from Medstead driving back to This Scotland unfortunefully.......all in wan day ffs.......

A brew (or similar) is waiting for you after a little detour from J16 M6 if wan is passing in the afternoon? :pepsi:

Cheers John min, but gonnae just burst up that road as fastful as possible.......stuff on on Sundae.

One shall give thee a two finger salute then from the top of my hill as you pass by :D: :D: :D: safe trip matey....................

One shall give thee a two finger salute then from the top of my hill as you pass by :D: :D: :D: safe trip matey....................

Anyway......gotta stop and get some parts at Macclesfield en route....Right Ruddy Good prices......

Whatevva................................

I don't know why you bother talking to him John…. -_-

I know Den.........I talk to him but he just mutters back in a foreign language :lol: You know how it is

Yeez are aw fu' a keich, mins.....

(Forsooth, you chaps really do contain great quantities of bowel waste.)

• Like 1

When I bought my Rav it had four brand new shiny Goodride 307s on it. This is without doubt the worst tyre I have ever had. After only a few weeks of drifting around roundabouts I ditched them in favour of General Grabber A/Ts all round. These have now done 20k miles and don't seem to have worn at all. I kept the good rides to sell on eBay, but on closer inspection, the rubber was full of cracks. I took all four of them to the tip, I might have missed out on a few quid, but they just didn't look safe to me.

The Grabbers are an excellent tyre, but they're a bit noisy and my mpg average has dropped from 32 to 30.

http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_eu_en/themes/summertires/suv-offroad_summer/fd_grabber_at/grabber-at.html

On the plus side, they've coped with muddy fields, farm tracks and snow. At a hundred pound a corner, they're an absolute bargain.

• Like 1

When I bought my Rav it had four brand new shiny Goodride 307s on it. This is without doubt the worst tyre I have ever had. After only a few weeks of drifting around roundabouts I ditched them in favour of General Grabber A/Ts all round. These have now done 20k miles and don't seem to have worn at all. I kept the good rides to sell on ebay, but on closer inspection, the rubber was full of cracks. I took all four of them to the tip, I might have missed out on a few quid, but they just didn't look safe to me.

The Grabbers are an excellent tyre, but they're a bit noisy and my mpg average has dropped from 32 to 30.

http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_eu_en/themes/summertires/suv-offroad_summer/fd_grabber_at/grabber-at.html

On the plus side, they've coped with muddy fields, farm tracks and snow. At a hundred pound a corner, they're an absolute bargain.

This reminds me of the first time I came across Vrederstein radials back in the 70's when they first made an appearance in the UK. I put a set on a 1600E Cortina which promptly turned it into a death trap whenever it rained. In the dry initially I got a niggling feeling that the tyres weren't completely adhering to the tarmac but, come the first drop of rain, that fear was frighteningly confirmed - it was difficult even to get around a roundabout at anything above walking speed. And when the first snwo & ice arrived, the tyres were rendered totally useless. I persevered for a couple of months as I was a relatively poverty-stricken student at the time and couldn't afford to just sling them. However eventually the fear of writing the car off or killing its occupants (plus the ignomy of being labelled "Reginald Molehusband" in view of my reluctance to engage in my previous admittedly somewhat reckless driving "style" due the tyres' inability to grip) overcame the economics constraints and I managed to persuade the dealer I'd bought them from to take them in trade-in for a set of Goodyears - he was OK with it as the V's were hardly worn and he wasn't personally aware at that time of their utter uselessness.

How times have changed. Vrederstein now produces some excellent tyres.

• Like 1

Our 3 dr has Maxxis MAP1s on, I'm impressed at the car-like grip on road and the more than passable soft road grip. Snow I'll comment on soon! Already had a wee bit, but was using Freelander (nankang sp5, REALLY GOOD everywhere, and at £82 a corner cheap enough too)

I'd like General AT's but I've got to save up for them!

• Like 1

Decent tyres certainly make a big difference to the overall driving experience. I think the grabbers are probably overkill for the rav4, they suit proper off roaders better. Next time I might go for something a little more road biased, there's certainly no shortage of advice around these forums!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links