Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Nuts

chrispr

Hello,

I've invested in a set of winter tyres which are fitted to steel wheels. My Yaris currently has alloy wheels. I've just been out to check the new steel ones fit (they do), but the wheel nuts stick out a long way and don't fit fully into the recess on the wheel. They seem to be on tight but it just looks odd.

I've been scouring the internet and my question is - do I need to buy some new wheel nuts for the steel wheels or can I just use the ones that are on there? As my space saver spare is steel and appears not to come with any special bolts I'm tempted to just reuse my alloy bolts, but the last thing I want is a wheel flying off! If I do need some new ones can anyone recommend a good place?

Not sure, but won't the nuts for steel wheels have flat seats rather than tapered? Have a look at these McGard locking wheel nuts for Yaris steel wheels - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McGard-locking-wheel-nuts-24195su-Toyota-Yaris-all-models-steel-wheels-/150905406242

Done a bit of digging. Apparently the nuts on my alloys are M12 x 1.5 thread, 21mm head, with a "mag" washer built on. Most steel wheels have tapered holes rather than "mag" ones, so I imagine I should just order the same size nuts with a different (tapered) end on them? The only ones I can find are apparently for a Ford but seem to be the correct dimensions.

As my space saver spare is steel and appears not to come with any special bolts I'm tempted to just reuse my alloy bolts, but the last thing I want is a wheel flying off!

Probably another reason that space savers are restricted to 50 mph.

Done a bit of digging. Apparently the nuts on my alloys are M12 x 1.5 thread, 21mm head, with a "mag" washer built on. Most steel wheels have tapered holes rather than "mag" ones, so I imagine I should just order the same size nuts with a different (tapered) end on them? The only ones I can find are apparently for a Ford but seem to be the correct dimensions.

It's probable that most cars use the same M12 thread for wheel fasteners but tapers may vary, so getting the nuts for whatever make of wheel you have acquired would seem like a good starting point.

That's the issue, the wheel seems to be a generic steel wheel with no particular markings to say which company made it. I've emailed the website I bought them from to see if they can shed any light on it.

When I got some random steel wheels, the breakers put on some pretty generic looking flat-face hex nuts like you'd get from B&Q or something to hold the wheels on. The bolts did stick out pretty far :lol:

My alloy wheel nuts were totally the wrong fitment and would have damaged the steel wheels I think; The space saver has holes similar to the alloy so doesn't have that problem.

Hi Chris

I think I have some new tapered chromed wheel nuts kicking about somewhere, if you've still not been able toy source any then get in touch and I'll send you some out if you cover the postage.

Thanks. I managed to find some on eBay that I think will fit, but if not I'll certainly take you up on that kind offer!

Well I *think* I've found the right ones - fitted them today and they tightened up nicely on the steel wheels. The only concern is that the tapered end only goes about half way in to the hole on the wheel but they seem to be tight (I don't know if this is normal as I haven't had a car with steel wheels for some time). Or do I need to find some with a shallower tapered end?

I guess the only way to be sure is to go out and do a nice slow road test and check they stay on! If I'd known it was this complicated I certainly wouldn't have bothered buying the steel wheels :no:

I took the alloys off my other car (not Toyota) yesterday to replace the brake pads and noticed they have tapered holes/nuts and the witness marks on the nuts only went about half way up the tapered part. (I believe they are OEM parts.)

Probably more important that the taper angles on the nut and wheel match and that they are torqued correctly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links