Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Parking Sensor

ShyamG

I have a 2013 Rav4. I am a resident of Saudi arabia. Last week, I fitted extra protective metal bumbers

in the front and rear. Had no problems for a day...But now, whenever I shift the gear into reverse mode, the sensor beeps continuously eventhough there are no obstructions . Can anyone explain this ?? also pls tell me, where I could find the sensor and the switch.. Thanks.

post-135083-0-45028400-1382005848_thumb.

post-135083-0-07903700-1382005915_thumb.

post-135083-0-80643700-1382005975_thumb.

Can you post up photos of what you have added, Shyam? Welcome to the Club.

Welcome to the club Shyam. My guess would be that a sensor has moved very slightly and now picks up the additional bumper in it's field.

Kev will probably be better to advise as he has special advanced wheelie bin sensors fitted to his RAV................

• Like 1

The sensors for the UK market are switchable as far as i'm aware so I imagine yours will be (Read following posts). I suspect the sensors are picking up the aftermarket bumper protectors as an obstruction, if the 'beep' is constant then this is very likely the problem as a constant beep indicates an obstuction with 35cm. The sensors are the four circular discs mounted in the rear bumper.

Welcome to the Club.

Post Edited by novice 4.4 Owner, previous information duff !

My 180 has an aftermarket on/off switch for the reversing sensors,to disable them when towing.

Only discovered this t'other day courtesy of our esteemed Anchorman -;)

My XTR came new with the switch. Salesman had no idea what it was.............

Our last 4.3 was switchless but the previous one has a switch in the left-hand trim of the boot area.

Actually, if this is a 2013, 4.4 Rav, then the reverse sensors ARE switchable.

There is a indicator on the dashboard, above the sat-nav, showing a little symbol of the car with lights that flash when the sensors pick up an obstacle.

There are 3 lights indicating the leftside, directly behind and the rightside. To the right of this symbol is a switch that activates/deactivates the reverse sensors.

Mine is the Invincible model, don't know if is the same for other models in the range

HTH

There is a indicator on the dashboard, above the sat-nav, showing a little symbol of the car with lights that flash when the sensors pick up an obstacle.

There are 3 lights indicating the leftside, directly behind and the rightside. To the right of this symbol is a switch that activates/deactivates the reverse sensors.

Mine is the Invincible model, don't know if is the same for other models in the range

HTH

You're right ! I must put a week aside to read the drivers manual......... :bookworm:

HTH

You're right ! I must put a week aside to read the drivers manual......... :bookworm:

I'm usually very religious about reading the manual with a new car. However the T&G/Media manual that came with the 4.3 is actually bigger than the main car manual. I have to confess that I fell asleep on page 4 and haven't had the will to go back to it - life's too short.

In my humble, luddite opinion if any given system is so complicated that it needs that level of explanation then it's failed as a "convenience" design.

• Like 1

Our last 4.3 was switchless but the previous one has a switch in the left-hand trim of the boot area.

Yes, mine has the switch in the left hand trim of the boot area.

Maybe it depends on the year of manufacture?

When bought as an after market add on, the reversing sensor kit isolator switch is an optional extra.

Hi Big Kev

Thnx for the immediate response...photos of the rear bumber guard is uploaded...awaiting your expert advise....rgds ShyamG

Hi Big Kev

Thnx for the immediate response...photos of the rear bumber guard is uploaded...awaiting your expert advise....rgds ShyamG

Not sure about expert advice on my part Shyam, however, looking at your photos, I'm confident in saying the bumper guards will interfere with the parking sensors.

• Like 1

Oops matey........you can have one or the other.......that rear bumpery thing (are you planning reverse gear ram-raids.......?)

is definitely setting off your reversey beep beeps (Scottish Technical Term). I presume you have a constant tone as opposed to intermittent beeps......? Too close, sorry, but look inside back door on left......is there an isolator switch.......?

• 7 years later...

Anyone got photo of switch in boot or where bleeper is located for reversing mine stopped bleeping