Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 D4D Wont Start

willied

hello

having a problem trying to start 2004 D4D T2,going to work this morning in heavy rain, a lot of water on the roads,car seemed to be running not as smooth as usual,this was after i went through quite a bit of water but it cleared up on the way.

however this evening when I went to start the car it ran very rough at initial startup, as if it wasent running on all cylinders and quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust it then cleared ,driving the car home it ran smoothly on the motorway ,I parked the car and stopped the engine,I then tried to start the car but it wouldent start.

question does anyone know of any sensors, electrical items prone to water ingestion,or any other possible problem.

all help very welcome.

regards

Willie

To help out,

Is the starter turning the engine over but its failing to run?

Is the starter turning the engine nice and fast or slower than usual?

can you describe what is happening in a bit more detail please?

hello druidboy

the starter is turning the engine over and everything seems normal except no start ,it seems to be turning fast enough,I have put the Battery on charge and will try again this morning ,i have checked for stored faults using a code reader and it is clear,I have a reconditioned starter motor on hand and will install it along with the charged Battery,however due to the problem beginning after the heavy rain I am not sure if this will help.

Hmmm, its a weird one for sure. If it was petrol then I'd be thinking about your leads but as its a diesel I'm thinking glow plug wiring - but that doesn't explain what happened originally (ie when it was running and got wet). Very weird. But there are soooo many sensors and stuff on a diesel now its a nightmare.

If you have no fault codes then I suspect the main dealer won't know where to start. You could perhaps call them and ask if they have ever come across this before. If they have then maybe they can help you out. If they haven't then they will probably just cost you money. Do you have a local bloke you trust?

hello druid boy

thanks for your reply,the problem has being solved,a very basic problem the car was fueled with petrol on tuesday night,I dident drive the car until wednesday morning which just happened to occur at the same time as heavy rain.

thankfully no,

just drain the tank fill with diesel and add some redex or equivalent for a while,

thankfully no,

just drain the tank fill with diesel and add some redex or equivalent for a while,

If i were you Willied,i'd add half a litre of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of Diesel,just for a bit of extra lube as the petrol strips the lubrication.

thankfully no,

If i were you Willied,i'd add half a litre of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of Diesel,just for a bit of extra lube as the petrol strips the lubrication.

I used to add 2 stroke to every tankful of diesel in my ford transit, used to run like a dream.

thankfully no,

I used to add 2 stroke to every tankful of diesel in my ford transit, used to run like a dream.

sounds like a good idea,however the car is running very well at the moment