Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm Comtemplating Buying A Diesel Auris - Should I?

Onionbaby!

Hi All

I've been a member since I bought my first yaris in 2002 (184444 (s)miles and still chugging) I have another Yaris (144444 (s)miles) am thinking of buying an Auris? any advice what should I look for in a pre-reg?

All advice gratefully received - I'm not a techy by the way .

Cheers!

I think they've worked out most of the kinks now so they're generally pretty solid. Still not as solid as the Corollas they replaced IMHO, but are a lot more modern in terms of equipment!

The diesel is very efficient and is a good engine unless it's only limping around town; It likes and needs to be pushed to stay healthy.

Thanks it's a pre-reg and we'll be putting 450 miles per week on her just to get to and from work - still looking at the best way to pay for it so it'll be next weekend before I confirm - if it's still available!

Thanks again for you advice.

was speaking to an acquaintance the other day who recently exchanged his old shape Auris for a new 1.4 D4D & says that the new one is a vastly improved car - he seemed very happy with his.

I would have traded up earlier this year, but the lack of the 2.0 D4D really shot it down. Why have it in the Avensis and not the Auris?!

Yeah, never understood that. The 1.4 D4D is a good engine but the Auris is a good bit heavier than my ickle Yaris! I know the 2.0 D4D Corolla is waaaay more fun to drive than the 1.4 D4D version :naughty:

(Although it does give you really bad leg ache due to the insane clutch pressure! :lol:)

• Like 1

Well bought the car last night will pick it up on Saturday morning - thanks for your help! I'll try and keep her between the dithces! Now I have to decide what to do with the original 'Siver Bllet' 2002 Yaris - she is running good other than probably needing a manifold soon - should I take out the Battery and the four 'goodish' tyres/steel wheels and scrap it - it probably isn't worth that much in monetary terms now anyway?

As always any advice will be appreciated - thanks in advance!

Scrap the Yaris?! :eek: Nooooooooo! :crybaby:

"Not much to worry about if you like the car - it will have toyotas 5year warranty"

Yes if it is Northern Ireland and sold by Toyota GB.

No if it is Eire and sold by Toyota Ireland - when it will be covered by the 3 year/100,000km Toyota new car warranty.

Cyker - Yeah I know, I've had it from new it'll be like losing a member of the family! we've had some adventures together! It might sit at the back of the hous on blocks for the kids to play in1

Frostyballs - Yeah I'm a Nordie so I'll have he 5 year option - but does it not expire when you hit 100,000km anyway?

This is possibly a wild stupid question - but I believe the Auris doesn't have a spare/spacesaver wheel could I use the space saver from my old Yaris for emergencies?

Hmm, I think the studs are in the right place but I have a feeling the wheel's diameter on an Auris is larger than on a Yaris Mk1 so unless they make higher profile rubber for space savers I have a feeling it'll be too small :unsure:

Cheers will have a look over the weekend!

The Toyota GB warranty is five years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Another stupid question any general rules for driving in 6th - should I get it into 6th up around 65-70 or is this too low?

Regarding 6th, I think about 65 is about right, unless you're going uphill.

The "Shift" indicator hardly ever tells me to shift up to 6th from 5th.

Cheers I took it to work today aprox.45 miles had it up (as far as I would usually go on the motorway anyway) but it never indicated that I should shift to 6th - hence my daft question

The problem with the ratio they picked for the 6th is the 1.4 really doesn't have the torque to push the car in 6th at UK legal speeds so you can only really use it as a cruising gear.

It'll keep the car rolling on a flat or slight decline, but slight inclines may have the engine struggle a bit and overtaking would probably be quite painful!

If you don't mind swapping between 5th and 6th now and then, it's fine to drop it into 6th when you're flat cruising at 65-70, but be ready to drop back to 5th for overtaking and hills if you feel the car doesn't like it!

I would have loved a 6th gear in my Yaris tho' - At 60mph it's at about 2200rpm in 5th, but if it had a 6th gear so 60mph was 1900rpm it would still have enough poke but would save a load of fuel since the turbo wouldn't be as active!

Sorry if i'm being a pain - feel free to correct me about etiquette - I want to ask can you connect say an MP3 player through the USB port - I have tried but couldn't seem to find anything that indicated that an external device/source was available/detected - should I start another thread? Apologies if I'm sticking everything into this one thread but please forgive me i've a new car and i'm enthusiatic - remem ber how that feels! :euro:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the USB may only work with ipods. When I connect my Android phone via the USB, not a lot happens! But it works fine with my ipod.

If the MP3 thingy can pretend to be a USB stick then it might; I plugged my phone into the USB socket to charge in the rental 107/C1/Aygo I had a while back and it automatically found all the MP3s on the memory chip!

Bought a 16GB USB for £10 have about 50 albumns on it so far - using 4GB - working very well - can't help feeling that when they digitised music they got it wrong - although it's great not to have 30/40 cds jammed in every nook and cranny!

I fairly miss the storage space under the passenger seat and under the steering wheel - another thing that's missing is the pocket on the back of the passenger seat - which we used to hold the DVD Player for the weans! Not sure what I'm going to do with it - I hesitate to source a 'hang over caddy' type thingy but I'll probably have to anyone got any suggestions?

Sorry everyone - again I know this is a stupid question - but do you not have to wait for a diesel engine to warm up before you start one anymore?

Well on mine I do wait for the glow light to go out before going from II to III and actually starting the car, but my mate had a diesel fiesta and that didn't have glowplug lights - It just started right off!

In summer I usually just start it straight away and don't bother waiting for the glowplugs, but in winter I find my 1.4 D4D struggles a bit if I don't let the glowplugs to their work first.