Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm Comtemplating Buying A Diesel Auris - Should I?

Onionbaby!

We bought a 57 plate brand new. Initially did not like it but its done 83k now without a single engine fault.

No intention of parting from it.

I purchased a new Auris 1.4 D4D and plugged in a USB stick to listen to some music, it was not detected, so I tried another one, still not detected , finally I tried a third one which worked with no problems, so it seems a bit hit and miss.

On the motorway I generally engage 6th gear at 60mph, unless I want to overtake or go up a steep hill then I drop down to 5th gear.

I am sure that some one on this forum stated the each gear represents 10MPH, so 5th gear at 50 and 6th gear at 60, and this seems OK unless you are going up a hill.

Just swapped from new 62 plate excel Auris hybrid, didn't like the whine, got the New Auris Excel 1.4D I like it better than the Hybrid, I had a 2.2 Avensis tourer on a 59 plate until jan this year, the 1.4 D is a good power to weight ratio in my eyes,

John

I purchased a new Auris 1.4 D4D and plugged in a USB stick to listen to some music, it was not detected, so I tried another one, still not detected , finally I tried a third one which worked with no problems, so it seems a bit hit and miss.

On the motorway I generally engage 6th gear at 60mph, unless I want to overtake or go up a steep hill then I drop down to 5th gear.

I am sure that some one on this forum stated the each gear represents 10MPH, so 5th gear at 50 and 6th gear at 60, and this seems OK unless you are going up a hill.

Regarding your USB stick issue, there may be a memory capacity/ format issue. I have experienced on my coonnects2 to Sony head unit, that 4gb seems to be the safe limit. This issue has occurred with various makes of head units or adapters.

Also some brands are not compatible.

It could just down to the folder structure or something on the USB stick stopping it from working.

Konrad

Just a courtesy note to let you know how I'm getting on with the new motor - with my mostly motorway driving I seem to be getting around 57.7 mpg for my 1.4 Diesel. All seems to be going well except I would be worried that the wee wiper for the back window won't last long with snow resting on it! had this problem on my first 2002 yaris.

It's not an awful lot of fun to drive but it's smooth and quiet - speak to you soon! and thanks to everyone else who contributes to keep this thread alive I'm sure it will be useful to someone.

Yeah, I found it didn't quite have the grunt to make it as fun as, say, my 1.4 D4D Yaris :naughty:; Really could have done with a 2.0D4D version IMHO, but the 1.4 does okay and it is very efficient for such a big car.

Still, the 1.4 D4D has one of the widest rev ranges I've seen in a modern diesel and won't blow up if you take it there (Although it will start to eat the oil!). If you do want to hoon about it's still pretty willing if you don't mind abusing the turbo :lol: It is a lot like trying to hoon about in an Aygo tho' and will get pretty noisy...

At least it doesn't have the same squishy whale-like handling of the Yaris D4D tho' :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh blow! My better half was driving today and someone has wrecked the driver side wing mirror anyone any idea how much this is likely to cost to replace? Naturally the errant driver drove on and the incident has been reported to the Police it happened on a country/mountain road not sure what can be done as no cctv will exist.

Depends what Auris you have (year and grade), whether it is electric or manual, heated or non-heated, whether it has the indicator repeater in the outer casing, etc. Can you give more detail? Also are you in Northern or Southern Ireland?

New model electric with indicator not sure about heated or not thanks oh Northern Ireland

oh it's an Auris Active D4-D and it's a light metallic blue.

Any of you parts guys got your ears on?

• 1 month later...

I appreciate that there is another thread detailing problems/concerns with the headlights - but so that it remains fresh for anyone who is 'Contemplating buting an Auris' the dipped headlights are poor, in my opinion very poor - I have been adjusting the beam using the internal switch and would appreciate any advice i.e. is it worth installing/upgrading to the optibright bulbs - no smart answers get on with you life - just state it plain thanks.

I appreciate that there is another thread detailing problems/concerns with the headlights - but so that it remains fresh for anyone who is 'Contemplating buting an Auris' the dipped headlights are poor, in my opinion very poor - I have been adjusting the beam using the internal switch and would appreciate any advice i.e. is it worth installing/upgrading to the optibright bulbs - no smart answers get on with you life - just state it plain thanks.

I have nothing but positive experience of the headlights. Are they set correctly and level in the first place?

In what way are they poor?

I am using bog standard bulbs that came in the car from new!

As you can see from the other thread, the 2013 Auris uses HIR2 bulbs for which there is only one manufacturer - Philips. No HIR2 upgrades are available.

If you were more pleasant in phrasing your questions (as per post 35), you wouldn't receive smart answers.

Doesn't "dipped headlights" in the new Auris just run the LED DRLs? At half power even.

Not sure why it matters, you wouldn't use dipped lights to see in the dark would you?

Are you confusing dipped headlights with sidelights? Because yeah, you would used dipped lights to see in the dark! The only time you'd use the main beams is if you're on your own on a totally unlit road, which I'm guessing isn't a situation the OP is in too often (I know I'm very rarely on an unlit road deserted enough to use my main beam!)

I think Toyota dipped lights tend to be of a saner brightness than these insane super-bright ones you tend to see on, e.g. Audis and BMWs (Which I hate intensely as they are almost as blinding as a full beam in the face, esp. on SUV and 4x4-sized vehicles!), and if a street is well lit they are barely noticeable over the ambient light, although if you flick them off for a sec you can see the difference. (Mainly illuminating the sides since the road is lit by the street lights.)

On an unlit road they are more noticeable tho' and should be adequate for lighting up the road enough; My Yaris lamps are probably dimmer but still light up the unlit bits of the M1 more than well enough. Certainly well enough that I don't have to resort to my full beams like so many scumbag idiot drivers on that road...

• Like 1

The 'insane super bright' lights you see in Audis, BMW's etc are probably the factory-fit HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights, which produce more visible light than halogen or xenon bulbs.

'More visible light' is meant by the fact that HID lights produce light across a broader spectrum that is more visible to the eye.

Here in Birmingham, street lighting across the whole City is being converted to LED units. Although these appear brighter, they're actually not any brighter - they produce light across a broader spectrum which is more visible to the eye, and the light produced is a lot whiter (giving the impression of being brighter). As an example, our cul-de-sac had the lighting changed to LED in January 2012. The number of street lights were reduced from 7 to 4.

Aside from using less electricity, the street is better lit, with a different type of white light to the previous (yellow'ish) halogen lighting, and the number of street lights were reduced by 42%.

The 2013 Auris uses Philips HIR2 (Halogen Infra-red Reflective) bulbs, which produce approx 75% of the light of HID lights, and appear whiter than OE halogen bulbs.

WHOOOOPS dementia is setting in early. You are of course correct.

Oh blow! My better half was driving today and someone has wrecked the driver side wing mirror anyone any idea how much this is likely to cost to replace? Naturally the errant driver drove on and the incident has been reported to the Police it happened on a country/mountain road not sure what can be done as no cctv will exist.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AURIS-WING-MIRROR-UNIT-DRIVERS-SIDE-HEATED-NEW-SHAPE-ASSEMBALY-COMPLETE-/390643172891?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2013%7CModel%3AAuris&hash=item5af425c61b

edit: bleh, just noticed how old that post was.

Thanks timboo the seller can't supply the cover I had noticed this at the time.

Dear Administrator

Please disable my account, and remove this thread in it's entirety. I'm afraid I'm quite appalled that one of the moderators has seen fit to publicly scold me over my use of language, which let's be quite clear was neither offensive nor unpleasant, in post no. 34 in this topic.

Many thanks to all who responded in a positive manner.

I expect 72 hours would be sufficient to allow you to comply with my request.

Regards

Onionbaby

For clarity, the post in question was post 35 - which was unnecessarily rude and quite derogatory.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links