Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Rough Idle

voodoocars

1997 2.0 16v ( mother in laws) has just started getting a rough idle. It stutters as you rev it and seems to be miss firing at revs from idle to about 1500rpm. After that is seems to smooth out. I have checked the plugs and they seem ok. One of the plug leads doesnt click into the head like the others but i held it in and the engine ran the same. Cant find any air leaks although it doesnt have a MAF so i dont know much about it..

Is there anything obvious i should be looking for? They dont have a load of money to throw at it.

Air filter is ok. The last time I had a problem like this was on a Vectra which turned out to be an air leak from a very small rubber pipe.

1997 2.0 16v ( mother in laws) has just started getting a rough idle. It stutters as you rev it and seems to be miss firing at revs from idle to about 1500rpm. After that is seems to smooth out. I have checked the plugs and they seem ok. One of the plug leads doesnt click into the head like the others but i held it in and the engine ran the same. Cant find any air leaks although it doesnt have a MAF so i dont know much about it..

Is there anything obvious i should be looking for? They dont have a load of money to throw at it.

MAF + sparks

It doesnt have a MAF as far as i can tell. Not like a MAF i have seen before anyway.. It doesnt have a ditributor either just coil packs. Going to try and source some cheap ht leads tomorrow and try that.

How does the engine measure air/ fuel? Does it have a MAF on it?

I've got the early symptoms of the same fault. When idling cold it sometimes feels a little lumpy, as though one of the cylinders isn't quite firing right. Maybe I'll be looking to change the coil packs sometime soon too. This is the first car I've owned with separate coils for each spark plug and it seems like an expensive fix! Has anybody else changed ignition coils on their 2.0? Do I stick with Toyota parts or are spurious parts ok. Plenty on eBay, but the quality is an unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just trying to find the cheapest part for the in laws car...

Personally I would stick with the Toyota Denso parts. Regarding eBay....I bought a set of four used coils as spares and for testing for £25. 3 out of the four worked. I keep a spare in the car now just in case. Didn't like it when one failed a few years ago and had to drive to garage carefully on three cylinders.

Got a set of leads and two coils from an Avensis on fleacebay for £23. Fingers crossed it should work. Toyota wanted £100. +vat each. No way. The cheapest single coil I found was still £55. Just not worth it for the old banger. Car, not the in law....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links