Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Winter Tyres For A Rav4

MPGdave

With a probable bad winter ahead I have been thinking about fitting a set of winter tyres to my 2009 Rav4. D4D There are plenty threads about for 2 wheel drive tyres but not a lot for 4*4. Anyone out there that fits winter tyres and will only use them and not any other make of tyre. Tyres fitted are standard 225/65/17. I have picked up a set of steel wheel from a Rav4 and going to get the winter tyres fitted, at least I will have a spare wheel to help rotating the summer set and one to get to a tyre place if I have a flat in the morning.

Like most I think all I can do is tell you about the ones I have used on my car a 2006 T180 Rav4..

I went for a brand new set of wheels and fitted Vredestien Wintrac4 Extremes.. These have been superb in winter and give huge grip when the roads are cold and slippery.. They have been on my car all year and have done two winters and all 4 are still above 5Mill of tread remaining.. I was told they would do 40K miles in mixed conditions and that some keep them on all year round which is what I have done this year.. Nice and quiet as well !

Great tyres that give huge mileage and seem to refuse to wear out..

They cost £175 each ....

RavWinterwheels015.jpg

RavWinterwheels002.jpg

That's one for the list. Still got about the same (5mm) on the summer ones after 22K miles so a bit to go yet. Pic of wheels looks great and tyre tread looks not bad either.

i use Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 third winter at size -- no complains

Normally the tyre is always an individual choise

Hi Dave.

I fitted Continental Winter Contacts last year, they were outstanding. You will find several online comparisons, I've attached one.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/news/auto-express-puts-winter-tyres-to-the-test-14314.html

My winter wheels were wrappe switch Conti Winters and found them really good. I ran then for 2 winters and they had been used before that (by Marksy I think) and when I sold them on, they had oodles of tread left. Recommended by me.

PS. I have got Maxxis winters on my new Winter wheels, recommended by my tyre dealer as a good mid-range tyre popular around here, so fingers crossed on that :)

I've gone for these this time.

Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance 235-55/18 104 V XL

null_zpsde50fa91.jpg

A T180 wheel in full splendour there Charlie.

They are a great looking rim.

..........and those wans are copies, Paul, with a non standard Toyota optional extra........paint and top coat.........!!

I have Yokohama W-Drives which are superb. I travelled a few pretty hairy journeys up the A9 in heavy snow and I was the only car to sit comfortably in the outside lane.

An excellent tyre which not only gives good snow grip but outstanding water displacement too.

If you wangle you can get them for about £135 each.

And as they are not directional treads you can swap them back to front and left to right which is handy.

W_drive.jpg

..........and those wans are copies, Paul, with a non standard Toyota optional extra........paint and top coat.........!!

Really? A damn good one then.

Indeed they are copies.... They are a far superior wheel to the genuine T180 one !

And yes the standard T180 wheel is just ace... One of the best looking and easy to keep clean wheels on any car Ive had....

lINKY

http://shop.performance99.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=&product_id=4487&category_id=1799&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53〈=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

I have Yokohama W-Drives which are superb. I travelled a few pretty hairy journeys up the A9 in heavy snow and I was the only car to sit comfortably in the outside lane.

An excellent tyre which not only gives good snow grip but outstanding water displacement too.

If you wangle you can get them for about £135 each.

And as they are not directional treads you can swap them back to front and left to right which is handy.

W_drive.jpg

I've got the same on Toyota rims (from Merlin wheels).

I'm very pleased and they will be going back on very soon.

IMG_1264-1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys looks most will fit the bill but I like the sound of the yokohama w-drive as I have also had the pleasure (?) of doing the A9 without winter tyres. Just a pity that there was no (DON'T TOUCH) so that the wrong type was not selected.

Tell you what ...... I bet all the tyres above are just fantastic.... What I would do is go and get the very best deal on a premium brand and go with that...

Me too. I got the Yoko's as the dealer had them but I would have accepted any of the premium brands. I like Japanese stuff and applied my choice to the tyres, that's all.

Good advice Charlie/Don..all the differing opinions points to there being little to choose between any of the tyres in the same price bracket.

Thanks for the link Charlie I've saved it to favs.

• 1 month later...
Just an update on my winter tyres choice. The wife decieded we needed the house repapered before I started my wheels. I obeyed. Wheels now cleaned up and painted and I have gone for the Continental ContiCrossContact Winter which I got fitted at Kwik Fit for just under £150 with new valve and ballancing included. While other tyres took my fancy the C rating for Fuel Efficiency (MPGdave) gave the Continental the edge.

The temp. was 5c when I fitted the wheels on Saturday but Sundays run to my brothers in Moffat it was sitting at 11c (why did I bother). The car is a lot quieter (hope is lasts) and going through some flood

water the steering was still good. Not sure if I want it now to snow.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hi All,

I have a set of Winter Wheels and Tyres for sale on eBay at the moment. I would have put them on the Forum buy don't have the required minimum Bronz ststus :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131061149641

I had them on my 2009 T180, and then on my 2012 2.2 D4-D XTR. Only used for approx 4 month in total.

For any forum member I would accept £400 cash collected.

Best Regards.

Phil H

good deal for someone there GS7A.

just a quick question on the subject, is there a significant disadvantage to running winter tyres all year round?

i know they are designed for 7degs and below and there may be a bit of loss in the wet,braking etc in the summer..

..is there a penalty to pay ... increased wear for xample?

No problem with Yokahama tyres but if you buy Bridgestone Dueller (which was OE on some Ravs) in 225/65/17 check that it is H rated - for some reason the same tyre is available S rated (OE on Suzuki Vitara) and are a few pounds less than the H rated tyre. An S rated on a Rav wouldn't be legal.

I have seen somewhere that the soft winter tyres get harder over time and I think I will use them once the 5mm is gone on the original set. There was a lot of standing water on the motorway on the way down yesterday and I never felt like I had to slow down. What they will be like next summer (still in the rain) will have to be answered as and when they stay on.