Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Footwells

bradburyss

I was replacing the pollen filter a couple of days ago and found that both sides of the carpet area in the foot wells were soaked.  I took the insulation out and it was dripping with water.  2 days later of using a fan heater I had dried out the car (it was so bad).  I looked underneath at the air con drain and sure enough the seal were the drain pipe pokes through was soaked.  It looked as thought the pipe (it's shaped like a scoop with the long side at the top) was just not long enough to allow the water to run out clear of the bulkhead.  Have tried the idea of placing a new piece of pipe over the drain to make sure it rains clear of the bulkhead when running.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next week but so far has cost a fortune in electricity in drying the carpets and insulation out.  Hope that the pipe trick has fixed the problem.

Hi 

its a known problem to some people

its been traced to the seal that seals the A/C  unit to the bilkjead. Most people are living with it (me included) The cost from Toyota  is extreemly costly to re-seal it. 

Its really your chiice if you want to pursue it. 

David

• 10 months later...

I have a 2012 iQ that recently started getting wet on both sides, only in the front. I am not good at working on my car, but I have to fix this. The last time it was wet, I assumed my daughter spilled her drinks. It took a great deal of time and effort to dry the floorboards out. Now it’s soaking wet again. Would it be a huge waste of money to take it to a shop or Toyota dealership to have it fixed? I love my car, and don’t want to get rid of it, but I can’t deal with this problem forever. 

Suzie Q

Hi

I am sorry to say this is a known problem. It was first thought to be that the drain pipe was too short under the car and water was blowing back into the car. People were fitting extra piping onto the existing one in an attempt to cure it. It was later discovered the water ingress is where the A/C unit goes through the bulkhead of the car and the seal is leaking.There was someone on the forum who had theirs re-sealed but was over £700!! Mine does it intermittantly but has been ok for some while now. 

David

Yep, sounds exactly what I had (see my earlier post).  A crack in the plastic frame/compact unit of the AC unit which hides behind the centre console (virtually impossible to access without professional help).  When the AC is running, instead of the AC condensed water flowing down and through the outlet pipe, it flowed out through the crack on the AC unit itself into both footwells of the car.  Toyota glued the crack up and for the past 10 months, no more issues!  Cost me 374 euro, about 430 USD.  If it´s not fixed it may lead to further damage/smell.

Hi Stargazy.

I had this problem on 2009 MY IQ2.

It was fixed by putting a 2-3 inch length of garden hose over the plastic AC outlet pipe and my car ran dry for the next 2 years prior to me selling it.

I suspect some of the worse water ingress cases could be due to cracked AC unit but my water ingress was quite significant in the driver's footwell and was fixed simply by the garden hose! It is worth a try, it does need to be tackled from underneath the car. Afterwards just remove the carpets or roll them under the seat and drive with a newspaper in the footwell for a few weeks with AC on and check that the leak has stopped.

Hope it works out for you.

interesting mine was regular but suddenly stopped a few years back without any intervention!!

David

• 1 year later...

Hi to you all,

I have an IQ from 2009, I live in Malta Europe. All of a sudden I also have both sides getting wet, I mean soaking wet. In Malta its hot and humid this time of the year. if I put anything down on the floor over the carpets, they get soaked. I do quite a bit of running around, although Malta is small, some 90 kilometers a day some in traffic. anyone can shed a light what it could be?? shall I try the rubber hose method?? or could it be a more serious and sinister affair?? Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Tony

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, Tony Cassar said:

Hi to you all,

I have an IQ from 2009, I live in Malta Europe. All of a sudden I also have both sides getting wet, I mean soaking wet. In Malta its hot and humid this time of the year. if I put anything down on the floor over the carpets, they get soaked. I do quite a bit of running around, although Malta is small, some 90 kilometers a day some in traffic. anyone can shed a light what it could be?? shall I try the rubber hose method?? or could it be a more serious and sinister affair?? Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

my 2009 IQ had water in the passenger side foot well couldn't find were it was coming from then found water in the boot have to day managed to get it sorted the water in the boot was when the car had brakes applied causing a wave and water was drifting up to front of car ... why was it leaking??  well behind the back bumper there are 2 oblong vents theplastic clips had become brittle with age and broken causing the vents to allow water from the drainage channels of the roof and back doors to drain all the water in to the wheel /tool area of the boot 

approx 3" of water  at its worst have had the vents re fitted and sealed with windscreen sealant HAPPY DAYS no more leaks hope this helps someone who is suffering the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all , 

I am an owner of IQ3 CVT (2009)

I have recently noticed driver's footwell soaking wet.Only drivers! 

We have looked doors sealing, as well as we have cleaned water tubes we have also soaked it with a gardern -hose but we are not able to locate water's route. 

Its like it is there in a magic way.. in the center of the footwell

We have also removed footwells and doors plastics but in vain...

I do not know what to do..

Please note that footwell gone wet while  the car was stoped-parked.

Please help me

Hi Guys 

I have a 2009 Toyota IQ  with the same problem water in the passenger and driver side foot wells dry it out and it returns its a nightmare any one found the reason and how to cure the problem any help appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Had a similar problem on a IQ that came in with a wet Passenger footwell and we discovered it was the AC drip pipe that wasn't long enough and so with AC on and driving round was blowing any water draining out back through the hole. Easy fix is it too buy some tubing and extend it out further so that can't blow back in. Sorry for the p@ss poor description but it's easy enough to see once you look under the car at the bulkhead. 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the diameter of the pipe needs to be to fit over the outlet? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Monkeyboy2283 said:

Does anyone know what the diameter of the pipe needs to be to fit over the outlet? 

i just extended it with a small bit of hose pipe with a jubliee clip

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm seeing the dreaded water in the driver's footwell. It's appearing from a seam on the centre tunnel (just to the left of the clutch pedal) as others have observed.

Now here's the thing. Around a month ago I had the aircon recharged (it had stopped blowing cold air).

Could that recharge have somehow damaged the housing of the aircon/heater unit to cause condensate to flow into the car? Overpressurised?

I assume it's condensate and not refrigerant that's appearing in the footwell. How would I know if it was refrigerant? 

There's plenty of water appearing beneath the car when the aircon is running (suggesting at least some of the condensate is taking the correct route) and the sponge around the drain pipe is dry (so I can't see it being the drain pipe at fault).

Any ideas/suggestions? I really don't want to have to strip out the dash to deal with this 😟

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello.
I live in Portugal and I own a Toyota IQ2, since 2010.
In July / 2020, for the first time, I recharged the air conditioning of my IQ, at Toyota, as it no longer produced cold air. I went to Toyota because I didn't want any surprises.
Last week, water started to enter the passenger compartment, under the driver's feet, and passenger, when the air conditioning was turned on. Strange, because Dave's post on July 19 makes reference to the same - water inside after recharging the air conditioner.
Next week, I will be leaving IQ at Toyota. What will they say ?? !!
I'll tell you later.
Nelson, 19/08/2020

• Thanks 1

Hi Nélson

Very interesting that you are seeing the same as me after the recharge.

I look forward to the result of the investigation by Toyota.

Hello.
I'm coming back to tell the outcome of my problem.

Yesterday (August 24), my Toyota went to the workshop. Four days earlier (August 20), following the suggestion presented in previous posts, I placed about 6 cm of garden hose in the water outlet pipe of the AC. From 20 to 23 August I did 500km, with the AC on and I had no problem (I never saw water inside the IQ). With this solution, I realized that there was no problem inside the IQ console.
On Sunday night (August 23), before taking the IQ to Toyota, I removed that addition.

On August 24, the Toyota IQ enters the Toyota workshop in Faro. The IQ was completely “naked”: I removed the bottom (carpet, soundproofing sponges, styrofoam,…). I did this to reduce the number of hours worked with IQ. I explained the problem again, what I had done and the result obtained. The receptionist (impeccable) explained to me that it was the first time that an IQ with this problem came into the workshop. I do not doubt it, as there are very few IQs circulating here (maybe less than 10).

Today (August 25) I went to get my IQ. The receptionist explained to me that they did several tests stopped and on the road and that the solution presented (adding the sewage pipe outside) solved the problem. That's what they did with their pipe - they increased the size of the sewer pipe outside.

In the end, the happiest moment. The receptionist handed me the key and told me that since IQ does all maintenance services at Toyota, this intervention was offered by the workshop manager. Charmed. I felt that thank you was little to thank you for your consideration.

Based on the experience I had, I think the following: with the recharging of the air conditioning, it becomes colder when it is turned on. If it gets colder, there is more condensation, then more water is going out. The sponge that exists around the sewer pipe, may have aged and no longer have the same characteristics. Therefore, it does not retain water, as it did and it enters the car. The tube addition solution is an airy solution to eliminate water contact with an aged sponge. There being no other damage, the problem seems to be solved.
It is inevitable that we have to recharge the AC. If I had known about these episodes before recharging the AC I would have done what I will suggest. Before having the AC recharged, increase the drain pipe outside. It may not be necessary, but by the yes, by the no ... It is better to prevent 🙂 You can even ask them to do this service when recharging the AC.
If you choose to do it at home, be careful that the tube does not touch the gear cables. At idle, with the vibration, can make noise (like tac, tac, tac,). Although it's nothing special, if you can help it, great.

To finish this episode, I still need to “dress” the interior of my Toyota IQ.

Two thanks. First, thank you very much for your posts, as they helped a lot. Second, thank you very much for the kindness and professionalism of Toyota, in Faro (Portugal).
Well there.

Nélson Brito

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2013 at 12:18 PM, bradburyss said:

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker on here for quite some time, had my 2009 iQ3 for over a year now and love it! Unfortunately in the past couple of weeks it's decided to add an extra feature that I'm not keen on. I noticed the passenger mat was wet, didn't think too much of it initially, but pulled that up to find the carpet underneath was wetter. I pulled the carpet up and the soundproofing underneath was totally drenched with water. It was the same on the driver's side but not to the same extent. I took the carpets up, removed the sound proofing and dried everything out. Tried googling to see if anyone else has had the same problem but couldn't find anything.

I sat in the car with the majority of the lower dash off, with a hose pointed at the front all over and couldn't see anything coming in (that's not to say it isn't just from the amount I would expect it to be flowing in reasonably quickly). Have checked to see if any drain points are blocked, pollen filter etc. but can't see anything obvious.

So a week after drying it out the water is back again...

I'm wondering if the air con drain pipe is blocked but can't seem to find a reference or diagram showing where it is. Have taken the dash off again this morning but can't see anything obvious. Would any of you lovely people know where it is or have any other suggestions to where it could be coming in?

I'm reluctant to take it to a garage initially as I know how notoriously difficult it is to trace a water leak so want to rule out anything obvious myself first.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve

We are having the same problem. What was your problem? Just bought the car and found out that in both sides its full of water. Note though that when we bought it, the ac was not working and they replaced the board. I don't know if fhis is related...

• 3 months later...

I fixed it!!!!

I have a 2009 toyota iq that leaked water on both sides of the doormats. And it felt like it got wetter when I drove with the AC on.

I started by rinsing the car to see if it leaked in without results. On this forum I also read that many had problems with the AC hose being too short and that water leaked in this way. I lengthened the hose without result.

After that, I started tearing out the entire interior of the car to access the heating package and see if it might have cracked and to see if there was any condensation around the heating package, without results.

After doing everything I could, I finally handed it in at an authorized Toyota workshop to explain the problem and showed them pictures and videos of what I had found.

When I tore down the interior and the floor of the car, I saw that the yellow "joint" on the floor leaked water and that it was damp around the joint, and there was more water if I had the AC on even though the water ran out on the underside through the drainage hose .

I felt powerless and finally left the car with all the information and kept my fingers crossed that this would not be too expensive.

The fault was that water / condensation had formed under the car and leaked under the floor tiles that sit together with the yellow joints and made the joints start to drop. The workshop sanded down all the joints, blasted all the tiles and then glued everything back so it was nice and tight. After that, no water has flowed in and apparently this is a "Known" problem with Toyota IQ which usually shows up 8-10 years after production. For this job i paid 1900:- Swedish Cronas witch is 190£ or 230$. 

https://ibb.co/ZHzpmcR
https://ibb.co/vzCLMCH
https://ibb.co/t4r2Lwm
https://ibb.co/8Xhqk5X
https://ibb.co/zHWbktV

I throw in some pictures and hope this can help someone. Best of luck!

(sorry for typo, written with google translate) 

My water in footwell problem. Lifted carpets and insulation in passenger footwell. While car was static on a dry day with engine running and aircon on the water seeped down the side of the tunnel from below the centre consul. With air con off no water flowed.  By adding a pipe extension over the bulkhead outlet the water seepage in the footwell has stopped. I don't understand why but this worked (for now). See photo of underside.

IMG-20210204-WA0000.jpg

Remember to clean the air filter annually as lots of leaves gather on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still following this?? 

I've been having this problem for a while now, water in BOTH footwells! Read all 4 pages of this thread, and was thinking must be the aircon drain pipe as well, as that was the most popular problem here by the looks of it 🙂

But today there was a huge development, and we discovered something! So i thought I'd share, because I've not seen this mentioned here at all! Apart from both footwells completely soaking, I've noticed the back seat is quite wet too, which was veeeery weird, as i couldn't figure out why and how it gets wet being completely covered by the roof! Even if it was leaking through the back window seals somehow, it wouldn't drip onto the back seat. 

We lifted the back seat, and it was water there! So the seats were soaking from the bottom. So then we took out the storage compartment, that is just behind the back seats, and surprise, it was a flood there, so much water! Thankfully my partner discovered that there are 2 plugs right under the backseat under the car, so he took them out and all the water drained out. We then took the carpets off the footwells, there were plugs there too, so we were able to drain the footwell water at least as well. So now we're sure the problem is at the back of the car, and the water was coming into the footwells from the back, because there was so much water. Thankfully the water will at least be drained out now as we removed those 4 plugs. Unfortunately still no clue how water got there, but taking the car to the garage in few days, we'll see what the guy says!