Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water In Footwells

bradburyss

Interesting. Looking forward to your feedback. I think there are a couple of rubber flaps behind the rear bumper which allow for airflow through the car. If one/both of these is jammed open (or missing), perhaps water is getting in that way.

15 hours ago, dash said:

Interesting. Looking forward to your feedback. I think there are a couple of rubber flaps behind the rear bumper which allow for airflow through the car. If one/both of these is jammed open (or missing), perhaps water is getting in that way.

By rubber flaps i believe you mean the mentioned plugs? They were not missing, in fact we removed them which let all the water drain out thankfully! You must have missed me talking about this 🙂 So they're not the reason. I didn't even know what they're for. We removed the flaps under the footwells as well to drain the water. But literally, there must have been at least 3-4 leters of water under the back seats, wth...  

No, I don't mean the drainage plugs, I mean plastic flaps which are probably around 150mm wide x 30mm and which pivot from their top edge. They pivot open to allow airflow from the cabin to outside. If either is jammed open, or missing, they could let water into the cavity beneath the storage box. I think they are located in the panel in front of the rear bumper (but have never looked for them myself).

• Thanks 1

You were right Dave! They took of the rear bumper, and flaps were leaking! But also the rubber seal on both sides by the footwells was deteriotated a bit and they found water going through, so wasn't just one problem, was a few! :) just hoping those were the only things and its solved now! Paid £50, and quite happy, good lads in that garage. They said they vacumed out like 5 liters of water from the sound insulation mats and carpets, crazy..  

Sounds like you got a good price for the time spent by the guys at the garage. Hopefully now resolved. Fingers crossed ... 🤞

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

i have an iq with water coming in do you know what it is and how to cure it ?

9 minutes ago, sue welch said:

i have an iq with water coming in do you know what it is and how to cure it ?

Whereabouts is the car getting wet on the inside?

Front footwells? Rear footwells? Boot?

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2014 at 10:01 PM, big bad al said:

well good news i've found out where our cars are leaking from and its a very quick fix , after looking at it and following all the suggestions from the previous replies you are all wrong ( not the pollen filter ), the water from the drain hose on the engine bay is designed wrong and is to short and has a chamfer that does not disperse the water away from the body enough. look on the bulk head from the battery side and you will see a white tube sticking out 3/4 of the way down ( to get to this jack the car up and go in from the front of the car), the water is running out of the pipe and back in to the body ( as my insulator was completely sodden at the bottom of the pipe and not the top ), the fix solution is to put a small amount of rubber pipe on the hose so that it drains away from the body more and lower. the reason you get it more when your driving is that the wind from under the car is blowing it back in to the body causing it to got back in to the car, that's why you will not find the leak with it sat on the drive and the a/c on !

Thank you so much for posting this, I had the sam issue and have been attempting to diagnose for a month or so before finding this thread.  Lengthened the pipe, issue resolved.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links