Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Do You Fit Your Winter Tyres

Hoovie

Tried to do this as a little Poll for fun, but not working , so just a general (RAV4 ;) ) post instead.....

So, when do YOU fit your winter tyres?

1) when the clocks go back

2) first official day of Winter

3) when the snow first falls

4) when others say they have

5) other (please specific)

One option maybe missing, which is when the temp drops below say 8c, but that depends on when you use your car I guess. If you drive mainly at nighttime, you may fit them over a month before someone who only drives during the day using temp as a criteria.

My answer this year is probably 1) as I am curious to see the difference between current summer ones and the new Winters and see how the change in tyre, tread and wheel size changes the car ride and handling.

Of course last year, the first snow arrived long before Winter did (remember clearing the snow off the car at the end of October last year? I do, and that was down south in Herts!). And the last snow of the winter fell in April this year - so snowfall in 7 separate months :(

I start watching the weather towards the end of November. When I can see averages falling below 7C so usually by the last week. I may even dig out the ones for my Sirion today. The weather is nice so why not!?

I just keep an eye on ambient temperatures and when early morning ones drop to average 8 per day then time to change. Varies every year. Although if my TPMS valves come into the garage soon then I'll just do all the changes as soon as they can fit me in. I'm very interested this year in seeing how the mpg settles with the new car and rubber. Average for the winter last two years was 34 mpg with the 4.3.5 and Pirelli Scorpions. Expect the 4.4 with Goodyears to be better.

I just keep an eye on ambient temperatures and when early morning ones drop to average 8 per day then time to change. Varies every year. Although if my TPMS valves come into the garage soon then I'll just do all the changes as soon as they can fit me in. I'm very interested this year in seeing how the mpg settles with the new car and rubber. Average for the winter last two years was 34 mpg with the 4.3.5 and Pirelli Scorpions. Expect the 4.4 with Goodyears to be better.

Quick question Grey Racer David........did you find those Pirelli Scorpions REALLY noisy.....?

I start watching the weather towards the end of November. When I can see averages falling below 7C so usually by the last week. I may even dig out the ones for my Sirion today. The weather is nice so why not!?

Should read "end of October"!

Hi Kev, yes the noise was intrusive hence I would never use them or recommend them to anyone who spends a lot of time on A and M roads. Snow climbing abilities though and they were awesome so if not concerned about noise or comfort they are very good. One other small disappointment with them was when pushing hard they under steered quicker.

• Like 1

Around about November depending on weather, whether or not I have the time and am at home. Think about taking them off at Easter, just like weather forecasting - not an absolute science ;)

When the temperatures drop, it's forecast 11 to 14 degrees here this week, too warm yet.

14 degrees in that England.....? Nae wonder skin cancer is more prevalent noo........

14 degrees in that England.....? Nae wonder skin cancer is more prevalent noo........

Half dressed floozies wandering around in October, such debauchery, when does the winter kilt come out Kev ?

I've never actually bothered with winter tyres.

For the two or three weeks a year we have snow the geolanders that came as standard have always worked a treat for me.

Last Jan we had to drive into the heart of the Langdales from Ambleside after 12 hrs of continuous snow,the geolanders never put a foot wrong.

Might be a different case living in the the frozen wastes of that Scotlandshire.;-)

Half dressed floozies wandering around in October, such debauchery, when does the winter kilt come out Kev ?

Just you leave them debaucherizers alone, Paul......same witnessed in Glasow CC last night.........smashin'..........

• Like 1

My local dealer says that he gets two rushes to fit winter tyres. One when the clocks change and another when the first flake of snow falls - in whichever order they occur. As we can get 12 or 13 degC here in December and 7-8 in May and June it is an art rather than a science.

• Like 3

Mine are going on next week, needed or not, 'cos that's when I'll have time................

And, having driven through monsoonical rain that created massive puddles on the A43/A34/A40 this afternoon, it won't be a moment too soon as they are great at pumping the water away and preventing aquaplaning.

• Like 1

i use to change summer's by the end of October/ now +7 C is here in the night

Better to change before needed strictly speaking as be more inclined to properly clean the regular wheels prior to putting them away, I reckon (no fun cleaning and changing wheels at -5c like I was doing throughout last winter! Brrrrr).

Like most folks, I keep an eye on the average temps before changing to 'winters'. If it's 7 deg C or below consistently (as it usually is by the end of October), then I'll change them over. The tyre manufacturers say that's when you'll benefit most from the quicker warm-up time & different compounds. I've used them for the last 4 years now & they've got me up hills other cars were sliding down sideways !

Have my Yokahama geolander A/T on all year round.They are a bit noisey but they grip well,wherever i go............

P1010612.jpg?t=1382355058

Local Mr.T has my TPMS valves in now so fitting and winters on Wednesday next week.

Gave my winter alloys 4 coats of Finish Kare 1000 last weekend. ( water was still beading after last years application) Now ready to go on as soon as I find someone to change over at reasonable cost.