Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27, "plop" Noise From Behind Dash When Cold

alan333

Hi,

Avensis saloon 1.8 Valvematic Multidrive S (the auto), 2012 year, low miles, still under mucho warranty.

Every time (maybe just most times, I'm not 100% sure yet) I start the car after it's been sitting overnight...after driving maybe a couple of hundred yards I hear a noise which seems to come from under/behind the drivers side of the dash. It sounds a bit like a vacuum operated solenoid or something, like a light plop sort of noise. It only does it once, then goes quiet til tomorrow. Anyone else get this, or can suggest what it might be?

That is probably the electric power steering system kicking in. I have MR2 and it makes the same noise. However mine makes a whoosh type sound but I only have to drive about 20 yards or so. Also it makes this noise most times I get in and drive off.

Thanks gazza1286 does your power steering work before the whoosh noise? Mine definately works whether or not it's done it's plop (driveway at home and car park at work involve turning out of a space, before the noise). Also mine is deffo not every time I drive, only the first time after it's been sitting a while.

my Ford has a similar thunk within a few seconds of starting - think that in it's case it's something to do with ABS.

An update...

This morning it clunked at about it's usual place, ie along the street a bit from home.

But then I had a thought today that the clunk might be the auto door locking, which IIRC activates at 10mph (but is disabled on my car). So when leaving work (ie engine and car cold) I drove at about 5mph out the car park until well after it would usually clunk. It didn't clunk until I sped up to about 10mph. Then I did the same at the supermarket stop (ie engine and car warm) and got the same result ie a clunk once at 10mph.

In the words of Scooby Doo...the pieces are beginning to fit together. I wouldn't think it should clunk tho. Any further input guys?

my Ford has a similar thunk within a few seconds of starting - think that in it's case it's something to do with ABS.

Thanks for the good idea mate, but there's an ABS light (and others) which all go off well before the clunk. It's definately related to road speed, and to the first drive after being started.

Abs self test it sounds like to me, my auris does this noise too.