Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diy Compress Springs

brainii

So I want to compress my rear springs so that I can adjust the height using the perch on top (which spins freely otherwise).

I'm thinking to use 2 heavy duty ratchet straps to compress the spring, adjust, then use a car jack to keep spring compressed, remove ratchets and then uncompress using jack.

This way I won't have to unbolt the control arms and drop the spring and save time doing it too.

Even in the unlikely case that both ratchets snap at the same time, the spring will not have anywhere to go, but to back in it's place on the frame on the car.

You think this is a good idea?

There's a video on youtube with a guy doing this with 4 straps but I wanna use only 2.

Pretty dodgy and potentially dangerous, but by the same token, I ended up using a couple of ratchet straps and a hydraulic press to change the struts on my Jeep Cherokee and these springs were heavy duty. May be worthwhile checking out some tool suppliers jus to be on sake side.

Yeah, I know, I also felt unsure, so I went to my local mechanic just now and he was kind enough to lend me proper spring compressor tools for free.

What a nice guy!

Post his info on here, maybe someone else will be looking for a kind mechanic some time. It will help the forum and also bring new customers to the mechanic which I think he deserves :)

I don't think many people will prefer him as he is in cyprus:)

Lol ah okay I see :D Sorry forgot you were located there :)