Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 D-Cat Tr Auto Spirit - Poor Mpg-2012

alb353

just bought this car and altough it has all the " bells and whistles " it is very poor on mpg.

Is there anything I can do - would fitting a tuning box help or should I drive in manual and change gear earlier ?

How bad is the mpg? Has the fuel/air filter been changed? MAF cleaned with electrical contact spray and clean the EGR valve.

I find V-Power helps a lot with either some BG244 in the tank or Archoil juice...

Piggy-back box will make a difference! But has to be a good one and not just one that fools the ecu into thinking the engine cool!🙏🚙💨

It's very unlikely you'll get more than low 40's average MPG wise with that engine & an auto 'box. Depends on lots of things as usual - service history, how it's driven, tyre pressures, average load on board, etc.

At this time of year, the fuel economy always slips a bit with cold starts, air-con use for demisting or heating.

How bad is it ?

Even the official figures for the manual version are not great for this engine at 44mpg. The real world figures suggest only around 35 mpg and you should expect a little less for the Auto version.

Hi Taff

Thanks for your reply , The car was an ex demonstrator and has only done 14500 miles and had its 10k service .I was told that I should be getting 45mpg but in fact I struggle to get 35mpg . I have now found out that with a d-cat it needs to have an occasional blast to clear out the carbon ( this also uses extra diesel ) . I am not sure if this blasting has been done and the auto gearbox usually changes at about 2500 rpm . Should I now put it in sport mode periodically and give it a blast - if so, for how long and how frequently . When this has been done will it increase my mpg.

The mpg will always suffer this time of year on any diesel, with the cold dense air the performance is up but miles in the tank is down.

I would try and give the car a good long run once a week to get the exhaust gasses nice and hot which will help clean the EGR and CAT. If you can't do that then I would keep the car car in low gear and once upto "Normal engine temp" take it up some nice steep hills keeping the revs above 3000rpm. Doing this at least once a week(Italian tune up) will help get rid of carbon build up 🚗💨👀😀

for reasons that I don't know Toyota UK sell the Avensis 2.2. Auto in the UK with the D-CAT version (i.e. it has a 5th injector to dump fuel into the DPNR system to burn off soot) of the engine whereas the manual gets the non D-CAT version :g:...

I'm currently looking at getting back into an Avensis & I can tell you that there are lots of T4 2.2 D-CAT Autos going cheap around the country - the fuel economy & the £285 road tax must be a millstone around their necks. The 1.8 petrol CVT probably matches or even beats it.

• Like 1