Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge?

lacuna83

Hi All

I seem to have a rather odd issue with my fuel gauge on my Auris. The other day I went to refill my car as it told me that I had 2 miles left until the tank was empty.

I filled the car to the brim with 43 litres which leaves approx 6-7 litres left in the tank (based on a 50 litre tank)

I know fuel gauges have some fluctuation, but this seems rather excessive?

My car model and engine type are:

Toyota Auris Touring Sports 2013

1.6 Valvematic Petrol

Any ideas what this could be or do you think a trip to the dealer is in order?

I'm assuming the gauge in your Auris works in the same way as in the later Avensis models. From information gleaned from other posts and the way my gauge works it would seem the miles left indicator refers to when the low fuel warning light comes on, this means you will still have 7 to 10 litres of fuel left in the tank, better than running out.

I understand that there would be some fuel left in the tank to stop you running out completely, but for the trip computer to say "Range - 2 miles" and have that much fuel left is quite a bit out. I was expecting there to be around 1-1.5 litres left.

My instrument panel layout is similar to this with the fuel gauge on the right

026-2014-toyota-corolla.jpg

Or either the petrol station pump was faulty?, but probably unlikely as these are regularly calibrated I believe.

I've checked mine on refuelling to the brim numerous times now and that is how it works out each time. That is the distance left on the range coincides with the warning light coming on and there is still 7litres or so left on the tank. Personally I don't mind that as I never like to run it that low in any case.

Maybe you were on a slope/camber?

The gauge in my Yaris gets hilariously vague when it gets below half; I can make it show anything between 4 blocks to a single-flashing block on a certain road depending on which side of the road I park on and which way the car is facing :lol:

Aah - that explains it. I couldn't work out why I couldn't fill up more that about 45 - 50 litres on a 55 litre tank on my T180.

I know that fuel gauges aren't linear - but wasn't sure how this worked when the fuel light came on.

So how much driving is there?

There is about 1-1.5 gallon left in the tank when it hits 0 on the range

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lacuna.

Is it possible that your car has been fitted with the 45 l. tank used on the Hybrid model by mistake ?

Cheers

Ratho 1

That would make sense. What sort of range are the owners of 1.6 litre petrol engines on the 2013 auris? The max I get is 410 miles (avg 43.6mpg).

43 m.p.g. sounds about right to me. I usually find that the EU urban figure + 1 m.p.g. is about average. If you look at the Honest John website for real m.p.g. (www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg ) he collects drivers real figures and generally finds that 80% of the EU combined figure is what people get. I am finding the Toyota computer readings to be about 10% optimistic ( not unusual ) . If you run your tank down to a safe low level then fill up to the automatic cut off point, then reset your trip mileometer to zero then next time you fill up to the same cut off point you can easily calculate your accurate consumption. I do this automatically every fill up to check that the engine is running to it's optimum settings. It's a good way to check for clogged filters etc.

I can never understand people getting hung up on what the "range" says. Just like the fuel gauge, it is an indicator, a guage of how much is left in the tank. If it reads a bit inaccuratly, like there is more in the tank than you think, then why meither about it? If the gauge is low, just go and put more fuel in it and be glad when the pump clicks off and you cannot get any more in, you will then be glad because you put less in than you thought you would, simples

Kingo :thumbsup:

What's the point of having a gauge when it isn't accurate then? - It's a bit like having a speedo that says 30mph but you're doing 40mph, you'd be pretty annoyed wouldn't you?!?

It's not even a bit inaccurate, it's way of the mark in my opinion!

What's the point of having a gauge when it isn't accurate then? - It's a bit like having a speedo that says 30mph but you're doing 40mph, you'd be pretty annoyed wouldn't you?!?

It's not even a bit inaccurate, it's way of the mark in my opinion!

Your speedo IS inaccurate BY LAW! It has to say you are going faster than you really are, and it can do this to quite a large margin, so no point in being annoyed eh?

The fuel gauge reads a bit like the speedo, it airs on the side of caution so that you do not run out, what you have a problem with is not the gauge, but the RANGE which works from the OBD, and like the MPG which displays, can be inaccurate. If my OBD said my range was ZERO miles I would like to fill my tank up, after all I would rather have a bit more fuel in the tank that what the range says. So as I said above, I cannot understand why people get upset by it, just put some fuel in

Kingo :thumbsup:

Careful guys. The tank range figure is only a measure of how far you can go based on your CURRENT fuel consumption. i.e if you are being very economical say after a downhill run the tank range will read high. On the other hand if you are currently showing low m.p.g. after an uphill run then the tank range will correspondingly be low. It's not inaccurate, simply misleading. You certainly shouldn't rely on it for determining when to re-fuel.

Another way of putting it is that the fuel/range gauge is infinitely variable, a bit like the time it takes to travel from A to B at different times of the day and time of the year. Don't get hung up about it just accept it for what it is, a guide to how it might work out, not Einsteins theory of relativity.

ok - I understand it's not equal for all driving. I do think it would be interesting to see what mileage is capable.

I have a 2007 2.2 diesel T180 and at the most have got 420 out of a full tank. Now averaging around 35- 380 as I like the bhp.

I have a similar problem with my 61 Avensis tourer (petrol). It tells me
it's empty but I've established this means there is a least 20 litres
left. Worse, if you put (say) 10 litres in, when it says you have a range
of 20 miles, nothing updates. Not the range nor the fuel level. It
only updates if you fill the tank.

I've driven 10 miles with a range of "0", light flashing and
all. And when I filled it, I only managed to get 45 litres so allegedly
there were 15 litres left?

This is inexcusable on a modern car and I've had the local dealer look at it
under warranty. They removed the tank, checked the sender and everything
that is "checkable" and their conclusion was "they're just all
like that". Amazing that in a 21st century car one has no real idea
how much fuel is left in the tank........

For the range to work properly, you need to put at least 15 litres into the tank.