Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 D4-D Turbo Lag Problems ?

giacomo.m

Hi al,

i have this problem : below 2000/rpm the engine does not push, small delay / flat spot in throttle response when you press the accelerator, above no problems.

fuel filter : new

egr cleaned

no mil

might be a problem of turbo?

thank you

Giacomo

Could be turbo? Is there lots of black smoke out of tail pipe? Have you cleaned the MAF?

I had a similar problem with a VW van with the 2.5 tdi engine a while ago, ie running clean, good mpg, no mil light etc. I had the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) checked and replaced. It totally cured it.

Thank you all

no black smoke,now I have to clean the MAF.

but I also saw that the seal on the air cleaner hose from the turbo side is split, so I'll replace it

Giacomo

Hi blackcts,

what is 180 ?

it is a : T25 ADT251L 2ADFTV engine 110KW

however, the problem seems to be solved after replacing the air cleaner hose

Giacomo

Hi - just checking this topic as I have an '06 reg T180 2.2 D-4D and that is pretty sluggish until you get it to 2,200 revs then it takes off some and then as you get it up to 3000 revs it goes like crazy.

You really do have to anticipate the poor start from a standstill up through the gears in 30mph areas (and even worse the 20mph zones all round here - good old Lancashire County Council!).

I did wonder if it's a fault - I have no black smoke and I stripped & cleaned the EGR when I got the car a few months ago, plus I had new filters throughout & oil & filter change.

Interesting to hear about the MAFF though - where is it on the engine - is it an easy one to get at?

I don't get any problems with my T-180! It pulls great from the get go! No turbo lag at all. The MAF (Mass Air Flow) is in air pipe from the air filter box to turbo! It has 2 screws that hold it in and if I remember correctly has "Bosch" stamped on it! Take the screws out and unplug it and spray with electrical contact spray or with some CRC spray that can be bought off eBay 😊

Thank you for the information - I do have some of the electrical contact cleaner that I got in an aerosol from Maplin for thoroughly cleaning contacts on something else.

I'll have a look at this & get back with a report on how I get on - and if it does make a difference.

Thanks again!

My 180 ( Lexus IS) can feel laggy off the mark unless you rev it - 6th gear is useless below 80mph - other than that it goes rightly when rolling

the turbo on the 150bhp 2.2 doesn't really start to make it's presence known until about 1800rpm.

I'm also pretty sure that Toyota's electronics "strangle" it when in 1st gear (at least with TRC enabled) so that it's pretty slow off the line.

I'm also pretty sure that Toyota's electronics "strangle" it when in 1st gear (at least with TRC enabled) so that it's pretty slow off the line

Would you explain relation between 1st gear, low revs and TRC ?

OK folks, well I've taken the MAFF sensor out & given it a clean with the electrical solvent/cleaner aerosol - it was really easy to get at - one plug and two pozi screws, so I'll see how it runs this weekend - I have to go up and down the M6 tomorrow so I will be able to tell if there has been an improvement.

I have put some pics on of it for information as to where it is and what it looks like. There is a small sensor with two legs to a kind of "Blob" of what is now a dark tranparent plastic - it was covered in a thin carbon film before I cleaned it, and there are some wire filaments that run horizontally across side to side down the tube, but I can't get a decent close up photo of them. Also a pic of the car just for the sake of it!

Interesting to hear what you say about the TRC - I'll try to remember to turn it off & see if that changes the "off the line" acceleration - perhaps it's a development from the McLaren F1 Launch Control.....

post-133235-0-34641400-1382710091_thumb. post-133235-0-21785900-1382709753_thumb.

post-133235-0-67838200-1382710181_thumb. post-133235-0-80078000-1382709881_thumb.

post-133235-0-37749300-1382709937_thumb. post-133235-0-47270300-1382709997_thumb.

• Like 1

I'm also pretty sure that Toyota's electronics "strangle" it when in 1st gear (at least with TRC enabled) so that it's pretty slow off the line

Would you explain relation between 1st gear, low revs and TRC ?

actually I think that it's just 1st gear & TRC, it may even just be 1st gear. below 1800rpm in any gear the turbo doesn't really seem to make itself felt.

TRC works by limiting the power delivery to the wheels.

Goods pics Stompbox

but what is TRC ?

Giacomo

Hi Giacomo - it's a Traction Control system fitted in the cars - stops your wheels skidding too much if it's icy/snowy.

Hi Stompbox,

but this Traction Control system they have it all Avensis 2.2 D4D ?

Giacomo

The traction control system works in conjunction with the ABS system sensor,when it senses that a wheel is spinning it sends a message to the ECU it then cuts the revs back,actually when it is Icy or Snowy The TRC is not needed as the revs need to be smooth and deliberate which will gain you more grip,didn't know about 1st gear scenario though.

Hi Stompbox,

Giacomo

pretty sure that all the UK ones do.

Hi Stompbox,

Giacomo

pretty sure that all the UK ones do.

Thank you,

but how do you recognize if my car has this TRC ?

Giacomo

Well I have to report that the cleaned MAFF sensor seems to have had no real effect - maybe a marginal improvement in pick up of speed, but probably my imagination.

Giacomo - if your car has TRC there will be a button marked TRC on the right hand side of the dashboard in the little control panel next to where the mirror fold in/out button is, and the headlamp beam height adjustment is.

Regards,

Stompbox.

Hi Stompbox im sure you let the sensor dry before putting it back, do you ever put diesel injector cleaner in with your fill ups every now and then if not might be worth giving it ago it will do more good than harm.

Hi Aidan - thanks for the idea. Yes I did lt the sensor dry out thoroughly - I had it indoors for a while whilst I was doing the photos.

I like the idea of the injector cleaner additive - I haven't used any and it hadn't occurred to me.

Are there any particular ones that you or others have tried & found were OK?

BG244 or the Archoil products from powerenhancer are the best🚙💨