Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing The Passenger Side Dash Vent?

Nimenomaan

I am trying to figure out how to remove the passenger side dash vent (seen in the middle left in the picture below) on my Toyota Avensis T22 (2001 estate) , is the only way to remove it to first disassemble the entire dash and then removing it from the inside? I certainly hope there's an easier way!

Hopefully someone out there knows this car better than I do.

post-132868-0-38040600-1382561212_thumb.

try removing the glove box and then look behind the airvent

Get some flat screw drivers of different sizes. Then carefully push
the blade into the upper and lower part of the vent, and lever out where
the tangs are. Pull the vent out with a bit of force - it is a tight
fit.

I took some pictures but having problems adding them to this post.

It is easy to remove and replace.

Kon

Here are the photos.

post-76861-0-20052000-1382613489_thumb.jpost-76861-0-77092700-1382613440_thumb.jpost-76861-0-90539800-1382613468_thumb.jpost-76861-0-37989800-1382613404_thumb.jpost-76861-0-25055700-1382613385_thumb.jpost-76861-0-05040900-1382613547_thumb.jpost-76861-0-34579100-1382613525_thumb.j

Sorry for the glare from the nice autumn sun.

Konrad

Thanks for the help/advice. I tried doing what you did this morning (before you posted in this thread), Konrad, unsuccessfully. Do I need to push down on those shiny metal levers before attempting to pull the vent out?

I fear that I might have damaged something in my failed attempt. Because when I started the AC I could hear a sort of rattling sound from the passenger side vent. Sounds like a fan that's touching something with the blades. Any ideas?

When you pull the vent off, did use a screw driver to lever the bottom 2 plastic tangs. So long as you did that then they will not be broken. Look closely at photos 2, 3, and 4, you will see the tangs.

Now getting the blower motor. I notice you had a picture showing the Haynes manual. It describes how to remove the blower motor in page 3.9. Once the lower facia panel and glovebox are removed, the motor can be be seen, held by three screw and a wire plugged. Unplug the wire and remove the 3 screws. The motor can be lowered. This is much easier than most other cars.

I have not done this but the Haynes manual is helpful in this case.

• Like 1

I did not know they were called tangs. Either way, I was able to remove it using the method you described. One of the plastic tangs was bent to a 90 degree angle, so it was giving me some trouble because I couldn't lift it up and over the edge, managed to get it out somehow though.

Do you think it's the motor that's dying, or perhaps something that fell back into the duct that leads to the motor? The sound got much worse when I switched from AC to recycling the air that's currently in the car, but I think I was wrong to describe it as "fan blades touching something", it's more of an uneven sound, hard to describe, tried recording it but the mic doesn't pic it up.

If something fell into the fan the sound will be worse as the speed is increased. When you the fan hopefully what is causing the problem should fall out.

The fan could be distorted causing the blade to touch the sides. The motor can be tested once out.

It is hard to make a diagnosis without being there, so that test will give you the answer.

Due to the age of the car, some of the foam sealing may have degraded, and come loose in the ducting.

Once you have checked the fan and clean the ducting, you should be fine.

I see, thank you so much! I guess I should avoid using the AC until I get the motor checked. Will do it tomorrow and report back then.

As far as testing the motor once out, should I just reconnect the wire to the fan motor and start the AC while holding the fan it in my hand (without touching any moving parts)?

Yes. You can test the fan motor by reconnecting the wire. If you can find something to support the motor or hold it safely, then turn the fan speed to the lowest setting. That way you can observe if the fan is spinning smooth or wobbling.

Make sure it is done safely.

The Haymes guide tells me to disconnect the negative lead from the Battery, is that really necessary for this operation? Been pouring down all evening, hopefully the weather is better tomorrow (have to work on the car while it's outside).

So long as the fan control is off then I don't see why the Battery needs to be disconnected. Hopefully everything is insulated and so long as there are no exposed terminals or wires you should have no problems. It is Haynes being cautious.

You need the power to test the fan motor anyway.

Exactly, so I would have to disconnect the Battery, remove the fan, reconnect the Battery, then test it. I guess I'll skip that step ;).

Had a look at the heater blower motor, found out what was causing the weird sounds (first pic). Should I be worried about the rust that goes all around the housing of the fan (second pic)?

post-132868-0-55843900-1382794843_thumb.

post-132868-0-33485100-1382794847_thumb.

I would use emery cloth, grit or sand paper to rub most of the rust away, then use rust remover or anti-rust paint to finish it off.

Rust remedy or Crust will do.

It looks like surface rust caused by moisture.

Due to the speed of the blades, it makes sound worse than leaves.

Not as bad as you expected. hopefully everything will fine when you put re-install the fan.

I don't have those things available, but I will buy what I need tomorrow. The blades aren't making contact with the rust though, but I guess it could become a problem if I leave it untreated.

• 5 years later...

A quick question. Do you know how to extract the right passenger air vent for t27 from 2010?

Up and down direction is broken so I am trying to resolve it.

Thank you!

Same method as the Mk1! 

I am using trim removal tools, but flat bladed screwdrivers or tools will do. 

Insert and push the tool between the the vent and the dash. P1020782.thumb.JPG.1191e1939bf5fb07317e2ecf41079236.JPG

Slide a second tool if needed, then push both tools up. Don't be afraid to use a bit of pressure. The vent should pop out. 

Here are some other pictures showing the vent - 
P1020774.thumb.JPG.8b08b73589e01a83ba0fcc8d6b1418ad.JPGP1020775.thumb.JPG.006ce777f89ebe663fd6e29e67fb73b6.JPGP1020776.thumb.JPG.4d602f33e87886f60e84b1c9f5ffd083.JPG

View of how the vent is held in - 

P1020773.thumb.JPG.5e7389211fc768bd5bd776f79b68a6f2.JPGP1020779.thumb.JPG.68c1c737984de555996aa52193c0091c.JPGP1020780.thumb.JPG.27f8ebe195d28d670d7afcd55bb0a5b6.JPG

View of the other control mechanism - 

P1020777.thumb.JPG.3d5a6a0f89ea99a05dd8555ca82c87fc.JPGP1020781.thumb.JPG.4972ffdb8b35c1d40f74fe9e6f8c1bc7.JPG

The tools used to remove the vent. 
P1020778.thumb.JPG.7159b8a804ea957193cdbc37e411c1fa.JPG

Replacing the vent just needs a light push.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The previous post in this thread was extremely helpful, thank you.

I've got three annoying rattles in my dashboard and have finally tracked them all down. The first two were coming from the driver and passenger side air vents. I removed both air vents and found the rattling was caused by the loose fit between the front plastic part that you see on the outside of the dash and the air duct. Just holding it in your hand made a ton of awful plastic creaking sounds. I figured I'd never need to disassemble this part so applied superglue to the plastic clips. No more rattles from the air vents!

The third rattle I could have sworn was coming from the plastic trim that surrounds the gauge cluster and I wasted a lot of time applying adhesive foam to different areas around there, but it turns out it's actually coming from the steering wheel cover. I'm assuming the Avensis was involved in the global airbag recall and removing/refitting the airbag created this rattle. It's on my to-do list to remove the steering wheel cover and eliminate the source of this noise. It's just a light buzzing sound, but it drives me insane.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links