Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt

eygo

do other mmt owners find that the gearbox changes gear at the wrong time by that i mean for example

when we first bought the car kath found it hard to drive up ramps in multi story car parks because

it would change down from 2nd gear to 3rd but this gear would be too low and the car would struggle to climb the incline,

we find this happens on other roads where you come to a roundabout and straight off the roundabout the road

goes up hill and we are in 2nd it will then change down to 3rd and being halfway up the hill the car struggles to pick

up speed, our only solution is to knock it into manual so to force the car to stay in 2nd until we get to the brow of the hill

then knock it back into auto mode.

do other mmt owners agree with me

I did own one and yes, your observations are correct. The mmt "brain" is really lacking in logic and sense!

The ecu can't see an incline approaching, so I used to change down (you're back to front with up and down) just approaching the hill. Junctions, roundabouts etc. would be negotiated in manual to avoid any embarrassing or dangerous processes. Does yours change to 1st if the brakes are applied hard? Mine did with a resulting increase in engine revs!

All perfectly normal according to the supplying dealer.

MMT does not have an eye (so it can not see what is happening ahead) and it it responds very slowly to change making it hesitate before it selects the correct gear. We have learnt to live with it. We only enter the round about when it is more than safe to do so and expect it to hesitate on uphill climb. The best way is to NOT to make it hurry, because it just gets worse. It teaches you to be a patient driver! If you feel sporty, use it in manual mode.

My mum had a MMT agyo for a week when her Panda Dualogic (semi Auto) got written off.

Found the Aygo was far worse car to drive than the Panda as the Aygo gear change was very lumby and not in the right gear to pull away from slow speeds.

When it came to replacing her car I was originally thinking of a Aygo but it was so awful to drive we found a Yaris normal automatic which is a dream to drive.The Yaris is a few years older than we planned to buy but seems a much better car

Yeah, these are known issues with the MMT. Pretty much everyone hates the MMT; The only people I've had who defended it turned out to only drive it in manual mode!

It's less pronounced on engines with greater torque reserves but even so...

Pretty much everyone hates the MMT; The only people I've had who defended it turned out to only drive it in manual mode!

It's less pronounced on engines with greater torque reserves but even so...

Not true. I do not hate it. I drive manual mode when I feel spirited otherwise it is the lazy auto mode. My wife just loves it in auto mode.

I found that in the diesel version feathering the throttle encouraged it to change up. Gentle driving is a must in auto as it gives it time to decide which gear to select. Drive it hard and it just gets confused. Its a completly different driving experiance but can be mastered.

Must admit that when coming to a stop I put it in neutral to prevent the thud when it changed into first.

Have driven a Corolla for 5 years and now a 107 for 4 years both with the MMT box and I think once mastered they are very good in both modes. They have to have mild creep in 1st 2nd and reverse otherwise the gear changes can be very jerky or even fail to engage and come in with fierce ***** when the clutch engages. Resetting the MMT ecu restores the box to optimum performance.

This can only be done with special equipment (Inteligent tester 2 or Lexia). The ecu has fuzzy logic and in auto mode will adapt to the mode of driver in changing gear. As I usaully change cars after 5years I hope Toyota do not change over to a CVT box for the 2014 model as I like the MMT.