Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.1 - Fuel Filler Replaced, Now Slow To Fill Up And Spits Back&#33

Worlds End Stu

Hi All,

I finally got the rotten and leaking fuel filler pipe (and breather pipe things) replaced on the old RAV but now when I try to fill it up with petrol, whereas in the past i'd just shove the pump nozzle in and have the handle on full, if I do this I can hear what sounds like the pipe filling up, then the pump automatically cuts out and it spits petrol violently back out spraying all over my hand.

In order to stop this from happening I have to slowly feed petrol in and it takes forever to fill the tank up.

Any idea what could be wrong? There were no issues fitting it. Could it be a blocked breather or could I have been sold the wrong filler pipe?

Anyone else had this problem after replacing the fuel filler pipe on a 4.1 (and I mean the whole metal shebang that goes from under the fuel flap to the tank)

Cheers!

We used to have to take great care storing fuel tanks and pipes. They are a haven for devils coach horse beatles (not kidding) and will crawl inside and block everything including the smaller vent pipe. If that is the case, they may decay but certainly on a diesel they don't and they would need removing physically. Could just be blocked with dirt but I doubt it is the wrong one.

I don't suppose there were blanking plugs to prevent said devil's coach horse beetles as mentioned by David Anchorman Attenborough from getting in? Could you have missed one?

The tank is a saddle tank - almost like 2 tanks joined together.

If I fill one of my tanks, as I often do, the pump clicks off as if the tank is full. Not so. There is another 10 litres to be squeezed in, but it takes patience and time to let the fuel go in slowly. I reckon its the pipe/s that take the petrol from one side which is being filled to the other side being partly blocked.

In your case, it may be that the rusty crud from your old pipe has dropped down into the entries to the tank and caused some blockages. If you fill slowly, does the fuel go in OK?

Is the new breather clear and allowing the air to get out of the tank whilst you are filling it ? How do you test it. Best avoid sooking the pipe - get someone else to do it! Maybe use an air line to try clearing stuff?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links