Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Navigation Update

vorlon69

Hi,

Does anybody know of a cheap way to update the Nav system without paying Toyota's extortionate prices.

I have the HDD version & was told it would take an hour or so to update - damn that is slow.

My local Toyota dealer told me I have version 2009 maps on a Prius 2010 (60 plate) so it figures there would be an update but at £250 - flip me! :(

post-130133-0-33183800-1382709629_thumb.

Yes I believe they do as well :dontgetit: but they might not work with my HUD :oops: the theory was if I can get the Toyota system updated a bit cheaper or do it myself I would but if all else fails Google maps on my android phone as NavFree kinda dont work as it gives the voice guidance at maximum volume but does not mute the music like it did with the iPhone and the volume is always so low you cant tell what is being said anyway.

"... the premiums paid for OEM sat navs on prestige models have fallen over the last few years due to developments in portable devices and smartphones, which are available at a fraction of the cost. He said: ‘The manufacturers in many instances have wrapped up their navigation tools in packs (Tech, Media etc) to make them seem better value, but some buyers are starting to realise that the true value lies elsewhere. Certainly the premiums attached to Sat Nav on a used car are not as strong as they once were, in part due to how quickly the screen and output date. With a much higher cost consequence than upgrading a new phone (which we own anyway) or mobile Sat Nav unit, I suspect this trend will continue.’"

Glass's report

The comment about TomTom and Garmin was only half tongue-in-cheek. My point was furthered by Cuius' quote about smartphones, tablets, etc. from Glass' guide. So long as Toyota (or ANY other manufacturer) is perceived as being in a monopoly position they will exploit it. Whatever car I end up buying I will happily use the on-board SatNav system right up until it ceases to function effectively at which point I will go for the cheapest, most effective alternative available.

I look forward to hearing of any alternative supplier of updates to the Toyota SatNav system ;)

We bought a garmin a few years before we bought our first car with inbuilt sat nav. We transfer the garmin from car to car and find it more preferable to use and upgrade than any inbuilt system. The point made about muting the cars onboard system is well taken, I dislike the spoken commentary since i find it a distraction when I am trying to concentrate on driving in a place i dont know but my wife prefers the commentary at all times and so she turns off the ICE in order to listen to the garmin; she does complain about the sat nav interupting conversation with passengers though. .... maybe they will develop a unit which politely waits for a gap in the conversation...... imagine all the u turns! :)

In terms of upgrade costs, the garmin is very economical and has been used in four of our cars over the past 5 years. I am sure that other dedicated sat nav systems are just as flexible as the garmin system. and a lot more flexible than any inbuilt system.

Toyota have tried to make the NAV option more desirable with the Touch & Go, which comes with 2 years free updates.

Does anybody know of a cheap way to update the Nav system without paying Toyota's extortionate prices.

I have the HDD version & was told it would take an hour or so to update - damn that is slow.

The short answer is no.

You can swap the head unit out for something else which can be updated, but you will lose the HUD integration.

For info - I'm currently updating my Garmin unit with the latest update for Europe maps and photo-realistic junction views, and it's currently indicating 2+ hours via a USB2 connection

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links