Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D Doin My Head In!

mr m

Hi there need help desperate.

Got a customers 2003 d4d in.

It had originaly been hard to start and breaking down.

Then week ago it wouldnt start at all.

So dragged it in and it had fault code fuel line problem.

So orderd new scv's for it changed them it started and ran for a minute and then went into limp and then cut out and wouldnt start again.

Put it on diagnostics again and found when cranking over that rail pressure was only 14 mpa.so after speaking to local diesel shop they said that this was to low.and pump would need to be checked.

Told customer and he went ahead and bought a recon pump from eBay.

Fitted that today and it still wont start! Towed it round the block still no go and same fault code up fuel line fault.left it for 5mins and it started ran for 30 seconds and went into limp then died.

Customer is gettin fed up now as hes spent nearly £600 on parts alone and still no joy.

Help please!!!

Could the eBay part be dodgy. ? If it's displaying the same fault code could it be that either the replaced pump was not the cause of the problem and resulting code or could it be the new / recon pump ?

Well the pump was suposed to be a recon and was from a reputable eBay seller.

Wouldnt of thought it was faulty but who knows.

Posibly it could be a faulty rail pressure swith but dont want to throw one at it as costs are mounting.

You are doing yer best to fix, mate, but be very careful you don't end up being tarred with the main dealer brush of throwing parts at the problem (and customer money.....) to no avail. I do not necessarily agree with this accusation, having had no experience of it......yet.

If you are "of the trade", maybe local Toyota will give you an hour's diagnosis at a better rate than us mere mortals......? No offence meant, although this would merit a Glesga Kiss if suggested to average Indie Pendant up here.......

• Like 1

I take it you've changed the fuel filter?

Beat me too it :laughing:

I take it you've changed the fuel filter?

Beat me too it :laughing:

.........and an ex cardyboardy box man would not have the audacity to suggest something that obvious........

Yes fuel filter changed.then even bypassed the filter head completely.cleaned the filters in the tank.blown the fuel lines out also.this was all prior to changing the high pressure pump.

Had a slight breakthru today tho.on testing the supplys to the scv's found had 12 volt live to both valves with ign on but no negative.so di continuity test on wiring back to ecu.found wiring ok no breaks.

So i cut the wire for neg to one of the valves as to not blow ecu.put the neg to earth and it started and was running for approx 2mins till i took the neg off again.it the stopped so thought got to be ecu not suppling earths to the valves. So thought right i"ll try it again now just to make sure so i earthed the neg to the scv again but this time it wouldnt start? Can hear the scv clicking open when you earth it so valve is workin but still doesnt start? Im edging towards it bein an ecu fault but dont want to throw one at it incase its not that.

Any volunteers want to lend me theyre ecu!

Oh and checked the rail pressurw sensor and that was working as should do.and when running it was showing on live data a pressure of 33mpa which is correct.

Ive always been a huge fan of toyotas and have owned a few but this one is testing my faith!!

• 2 years later...
On 10/26/2013 at 5:53 PM, mr m said:

Yes fuel filter changed.then even bypassed the filter head completely.cleaned the filters in the tank.blown the fuel lines out also.this was all prior to changing the high pressure pump.

Had a slight breakthru today tho.on testing the supplys to the scv's found had 12 volt live to both valves with ign on but no negative.so di continuity test on wiring back to ecu.found wiring ok no breaks.

So i cut the wire for neg to one of the valves as to not blow ecu.put the neg to earth and it started and was running for approx 2mins till i took the neg off again.it the stopped so thought got to be ecu not suppling earths to the valves. So thought right i"ll try it again now just to make sure so i earthed the neg to the scv again but this time it wouldnt start? Can hear the scv clicking open when you earth it so valve is workin but still doesnt start? Im edging towards it bein an ecu fault but dont want to throw one at it incase its not that.

Any volunteers want to lend me theyre ecu!

Oh and checked the rail pressurw sensor and that was working as should do.and when running it was showing on live data a pressure of 33mpa which is correct.

Ive always been a huge fan of toyotas and have owned a few but this one is testing my faith!!

Hello mate, did you found out what the problem was?

7 hours ago, St0RM53 said:

Hello mate, did you found out what the problem was?

You would be better starting a new post if you have an issue as the OP hasn't posted anything since 26/10/2013

4 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

You would be better starting a new post if you have an issue as the OP hasn't posted anything since 26/10/2013

Thanks i already did after i noticed it