Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats Best? A New Rav4 Or A Hi-Lux?

bothwell_buyer

May have a need to buy a diesel motor for the recycling business we have. Afore ye jump to any inclusions, its no fur me. But will be used by oor staff fur gettin aboot construction sites and the likes. The 5 door is a bit over the top as we don't keep company dugs, although we do run staff o'er tae their hame.

The Hi-lux may have a better towing ability (3 tons?) but being as we are a charity, I need to consider value for money and running costs. It has to be a diesel so it can run aff oor bunker (ye ken, that red stuff).

The pickup back o the Hilux wuid need tae be covered but ah'd read ye can buy thems.

So diesel dudes, which wuid ye go fur ?? Is the newest RAV oil-burning stove ony better than afore?

Jist got delivery of a Citroen 3.5ton long wheelbase H5L4 or sump like that van. Nice, and came wi air-condishuning which will be useful driving thru wur muddy puddles. MPG on that one is mental - twice as many mpgs compared to the similar Ford Frantic. 600 miles fur £80 ! Nummer wan ony gets 250 miles oan £80s petrol.

Hi Lux Boffs min.........dinnae waste a good Rav.....they also usually come with mud tray type flerrs, naw........?

Hi-lux ! had two way back in late1980's and early 90's, 2.4D, an incredible workhorse.

Funny tumbleweed moment there Charlie!

Out of the two proposals and given the load space, I would choose the Hilux Bothy. I would just like to remind you that it is the smelly pump at the fuel station, heaven forbid.

Thanks for the helpful advice. We have a nummer of Transits but they keep getting bent for some reason. A transit crew cab??

Went and sat in a Hilux Invincible this afternoon. Twas sold so the manny at Arnies wuidnae let me drive it. Seems ok tae fit ma size which means onywan else will fit nae bother.

A bit of a debate over the towing capacity but as we willnae be using it tae pu the Doppstadt shredder, then it shouldnae be a problem.

Parently these Invicibles arny easily available cos the factory in South Africa is oan strike.

Price new aroon £22,000 which surprised me. They had a deal on at £18,000 but sold out.

Got a free brochure tae look at the colours an options....which is a bit pointless if the factries oan strike eh?

Ah telt t chap aboot ma RAV but he jist looked in unbelief. Richt enuf, I had a Transit Luton van parked ootside ! They had 2 new RAV4s on show, but ah cuidnae bring masel tae crawl intae them as ah have ma reputation tae luik aifter!

So, wi the new top range leather seat RAV(pee proof?) 5 door costing £27k, its a no-brainer fur a Hi-Lux. Mind ye, its a heluva drive tae pick it up....South Africa? Is that south of watford?

Blimey still takes an age to read ya messages Bothey :-)

Go for the hilux as its a proper 4x4 and will get you out the field as well....;-)

Blimey still takes an age to read ya messages Bothey :-)

Go for the hilux as its a proper 4x4 and will get you out the field as well....;-)

Thanks Chatman.

Bit confused - whit field wid that be? Or will it pu a plow tae ?

No confusion over tow capacity for the Hilux, it's a predictable 2500kg.

Pickups aren't best for towing really but it'd probably tow better with weight (up to 1000 kg I think) in the back.

Sounds like what you're going to do to it is too nasty for a Rav though so get the Hilux. It'll go on for ever.

Dave

PS the cross between your two choices is of course the Landcruiser. But you won't be seeing one of those for 20 something grand!

Dinna want tae waste the staff oan a plush motor, if ye get the drift....

whits wrang wi tartan seats by the way?

For what it is worth Ian,I have just put a '96 Hi Lux Surf through the MOT and all it needed was a new rear foglight!!!!

• 1 month later...

Incase you're still undecided………… I came across this…. :laughing:

• Like 5

very good..

Only thing is... I do wonder what you were looking for to find that ?? lol

• Like 3

very good..

Only thing is... I do wonder what you were looking for to find that ?? lol

Now then Liz ! ….I'm surrounded by such animals all day and have no unusual habits I will have you know ! I came across it on the blog of a Toyota dealer, here's another to chuckle at……..

• Like 3

My son in law has had some bad luck recently,after losing £750 on an infamous '53 plate Freelander(which I told him not to buy)and he ended up scrapping. I sold him my '98 2.5 TD jeep which was a brilliant car.

Unluckily someone drove into him last week and its been written off.

He now has around £2k to spend on a new vehicle which must be able to tow a horse box.

I nearly went to view a 2001 L200 but after researching have been warned of it.

I've just seen on Autotrader a 1994 Toyota 3.0lt Hilux auto with 96k mls FSH one owner from new,12 months MOT,new tyres alternator and Battery,listed at £1495..

What do you guys think,too cheap maybe??

Thanks Paul

My son in law has had some bad luck recently,after losing £750 on an infamous '53 plate Freelander(which I told him not to buy)and he ended up scrapping. I sold him my '98 2.5 TD jeep which was a brilliant car.

Unluckily someone drove into him last week and its been written off.

He now has around £2k to spend on a new vehicle which must be able to tow a horse box.

I nearly went to view a 2001 L200 but after researching have been warned of it.

I've just seen on Autotrader a 1994 Toyota 3.0lt Hilux auto with 96k mls FSH one owner from new,12 months MOT,new tyres alternator and battery,listed at £1495..

What do you guys think,too cheap maybe??

Thanks Paul

This one Paul ? It has to be worth a look, especially as it's a one owner car, http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311280207165/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/ol35tx/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/toyota/price-to/2000/model/hilux/radius/1501?logcode=p

That's the one Paul,and its very near to me.

It just seems a bit too good to be true..and you know what they say?

One of those times when I wish I was a car mechanic,still worth a look as you say.

That's the one Paul,and its very near to me.

It just seems a bit too good to be true..and you know what they say?

One of those times when I wish I was a car mechanic,still worth a look as you say.

It's 18 miles from me, just not sure which direction…...

Your not far from me then.

Phone number comes up as unavailable.I'll try and view it tomorrow.