Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuppeny Ha'penny Repair But Not Impressed

Davrav

Hmmm, just parked up and shut down to sound of metallic drumming under car. Quick check with a torch to find heat shield fallen on to main exhaust box. Heat shield corroded away around two of the fixing pegs. Only needs a couple of penny washers to fix but didn't expect to be having to crawl under RAV for something like this at just five years and a bit...............

Same thing happened on our Yaris at short of 4 years old, must be pressed out in some German sweat shop..... :nono:

• Like 1

I'll trump you both as my Celica was only three. Used a couple of roofing screws to fix it and four years on it's still ok.

Maybe the metalurgists at Toyota were away the day they covered Galvanic corrosion theory at school :huh:

Same thing happened, with me, although the thread one one of the bolts coming down was knackered also, i had to replace that when i fitted the extra large washers. I think a new heat shield was around £70 from Mr T.

I just had rear drop link go, so have ordered that, & also need new exhaust :(

Same thing happened, with me, although the thread one one of the bolts coming down was knackered also, i had to replace that when i fitted the extra large washers. I think a new heat shield was around £70 from Mr T.

I just had rear drop link go, so have ordered that, & also need new exhaust :(

Back on topic - just off to spray threads with WD40.

Be dead careful David, they will snap if they are tight. I've done several of these on 2006/7 RAVs and one on the back of a Yaris. My current and Kevs RAV are protected against such occurance along with Mr Shcm's UC - all by way of Tetroseal. Yes it even sticks to an exhaust shield.

As the subject is called "tupenny, Ha'penny repair" I can use that metaphor and still be on topic m'lud.

So, that is my tupenny, ha'penny's worth!

Yup, rusted/seized way too tight to remove so cleaned up the threads, custom made some shaped strap type 'washers' fixed on with new nuts stacked over old ones.

Back on topic I better take a look under my 06 Rav,if my fuel pipe was corroded,it probably had a few friends.

• Like 1

Tuppence ha'penny refers to something of little value or inferior quality.

Well, that's about what the heatshield is worth - think it's made of one of those foil catering trays it's so thin..................

Well, that's about what the heatshield is worth - think it's made of one of those foil catering trays it's so thin..................

There you go then. - after your next Indian take-away, wash out the trays and you'll have a replacement & some stock! (Bet you could even sell them on eBay).

More importantly David is how is the condition of that big exhaust box ?

Tuppence halfpenny they are not !

Same thing just happened to mine 6 years old , only noticed when turning engine off and hearing a metal vibration for around 3 weeks !! Sorted now :)

More importantly David is how is the condition of that big exhaust box ?

Tuppence halfpenny they are not !

Yes, well aware of that Charlie - my first thought on hearing the noise and realising where it was coming from was, 'That sounds like a £1200 bill'

Fortunately box looks OK at present.............

There you go then. - after your next Indian take-away, wash out the trays and you'll have a replacement & some stock! (Bet you could even sell them on eBay).

Nice idea Jim, why wash them ? Just sit back and enjoy the smell as they warm up, I remember having some Apple scented screen wash many moons ago, i had the cleanest windscreen for miles around..............

Rogan Josh......

• Like 1

Nice idea Jim, why wash them ? Just sit back and enjoy the smell as they warm up, I remember having some Apple scented screen wash many moons ago, i had the cleanest windscreen for miles around..............

Rogan Josh......

True, Paul. Nice bit of added value there! :thumbsup:

It must be made out of the same stuff as the rear brake back plates on my 4.2. The tin worm ate them away till there was next to nothing left!

Good luck with an economical repair. With a bit of effort on my part, I reckon that I stand to save several hundred quid replacing them using good condition used parts.

Had the same problem on my 2008 rav but when I tried to undo one of the bolts, the floor twisted and broke out, had to use some liquid metal and a washer under the bolt head pushed into the hole to effect a repair because I couldn't get the seat out and the carpetup where the hole was and it was only just over 3 years old at the time.

Had the same problem on my 2008 rav but when I tried to undo one of the bolts, the floor twisted and broke out, had to use some liquid metal and a washer under the bolt head pushed into the hole to effect a repair because I couldn't get the seat out and the carpetup where the hole was and it was only just over 3 years old at the time.

Welcome to the forum Ozzy, I was a big fan in my youth, I never imagined you either driving a Rav nor doing a bit of D.I.Y. Actually without wishing to sound 'rude' I imagine the thought of you driving terrifying. :eek:

Hi Paul, I know just what you mean, happened to me about two weeks after I bought my 2006 Rav. Salesman wasn't really interested so two long rivets solved the problem and its been quiet ever since (unlike the steering clunk, which he wasn't interested in either, but I can live with it now!)

Colin

So pleased this has happened to other people (not being funny)just thought it only happened on Avensis.

Who ever designed these fixings didn't have first idea about Galvanic corrosion between aluminium and metals, just hope they didn't work on rest on car design

So pleased this has happened to other people (not being funny)just thought it only happened on Avensis.

Who ever designed these fixings didn't have first idea about Galvanic corrosion between aluminium and metals, just hope they didn't work on rest on car design

Rumour has it he served his time with British Leyland.

denshaw, that explains build quality these past few years

You know,

When the wife and I decided to give caravanning a go in 2012, it seemed a perfect opportunity to get rid of the deisel Picasso we had at the time (best thing I ever did actually) and after a great deal of road test perusals in various caravan mags we decided to go for a Rav4.

Now when we're towing it's excellent, you wouldn't know there was a 'van behind after the first 10 minutes, so no complaints there !.

But I must admit to being somewhat disturbed with the groans, clanks, rattles and other annoying little things which I honestly didn't expect from a Toyota (my first as it happens) but having read all the recent posts from other Toyota owners, I seems I'm not alone.

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely brilliant compared to the Picasso, but I do agree that Toyotas' build quality worries me.

• Like 1