Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D4D Cold Start

thewoodeneagle

I can see a few other old posts on thi subject and i apologise if im repeating.

this engine is a pain to start when it is not a warm morning. we changed the glows, then changed the engine coolant temperature sensor. but its still taking several attemts of start, die, start, die. common thread is egr valve. is it easy to find and clean out or is it a complex job thats only worth replacing?

Have you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF? 🚙💨

Have you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF? 🚙💨

Fuel filter was changed last service yes.

The maf is a new one on me? Could you advise?

Cheers

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sends signals to the Denso ecu to regulate fuel to air ratio. The sensor can be cleaned with some spray called CRC which can be bought off eBay, or use some electrical contact spray.

The MAF is situated next to the air filter box in the pipe that runs to the turbo! It's held in with 2 screws and should have Bosch printed on it. Un-plug the wire and undo the screws, with draw the sensor and give it a good spray! Allow it to dry and put it back in! Job done and go have a🍺

Hi

I had a problem like this on my 2007 2.0 d4d and took it to Toyota under an extended warranty. They found nothing wrong and suggested I use their fuel system cleaner. I tried it and it worked. They suggested using it with just half a tank of fuel so it stays concentrated and durring a week where you are not doing lots of driving so it has time to work on the system. They said I should do it once a year.

Make sure the glow plug light has gone out as well before you start (you probably do this anyway)

I also use Shell V- Power for three tankfuls from time to time.

Hope this helps

could be the suction control valve on the fuel pump we have changed a few for that same issue and solved the problem :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your help

the ECG was thick with it, once cleaned it started brilliant? 2 mechanics said it wouldnt make any odds at all.. proved them wrong! i put through the toyota fuel cleaner as well just to belt and brace it.

thanks again

• 3 months later...

i had the problem with the egr valve ( i suspect) starting was a real pain, especially when cold.. start up and die, start up and die etc etc.

had
it cleaned out and it was full of carbon. also ran through the fuel
cleaner and checked injectors, changed engine temp sensor, strated
great after that this was back in november as can see in old posts, but it is now creeping
back to its old ways agin. could more cack have moved back into it
again alkready?