Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T180 Intermittently Jerking When Trying To Accelerate Over 200

Adeel_Ali

Hi All,

I was recommended this forum by a friend after having told him the problem I have been experiencing lately.

I own a 2006 Avensis T180 with 61,000 on the clock, I bought the car as a used approved vehicle in March 2012 at 39,000 miles.

So far the car has been very reliable and has given me no cause to complain... until now.

On my way to the in-laws two days ago, which is a 140 mile trip each way from London to Birmingham, I noticed my car was hesistating when I was putting my foot down to get to 70 some 15 miles into the journey.

In 6th gear and anything over 2000rpm it ws jerking and not responding as it usually does. I did think it may have been a tyre so I pulled up on the hard shoulder and they were all perfectly fine.

I set off again and the car continued to do this the entire way, getting worse the further I travelled, at some point I was struggling to even hit 50.

Once in birmingham about an hour later, my brother in law wanted to take it for a spin, he took it onto the m42 and the car was responding perfectly as it normally does.

The car drove fine for the remaining two days that I was there but last night when I was getting back, the problem kicked in again on the M1 e.g. lack of response when accelerating, struggling to hit anything above 2000 rpm. I pulled up at the nearest service station, gave it about 15-20 mins before setting off again, and what do you know. The car drove perfectly for the remaining 35 miles.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Maybe fuel starvation? Perhaps the filter is partially choked so it's ok around the town but can't get enough fuel through it when you're asking for more flow. Or maybe a sensor being tempromental?

Change the fuel/air filter and clean the MAF! When was the EGR valve last cleaned? What fuel you using? Put some BG244 in tank

I know if I unplug my MAF sensor my car jerks at anything over 3000 rpm so maybe it is related to the MAF?

It is due a service... which is booked for next week at the dealers... I work at sainsburys so I always fuel up from there... as for the egr or maf.. i dont recall having them cleaned before

Hi Mate,

Will you keep us posted please as I have a similar issue on a petrol 1.8 vvti.

Regards,

Waqar

• 3 weeks later...

My t180 did something similar to this i took it back to the garage several times. In the end was the dpf. Had a new engine fitted due to high oil consumption. Turned out old engine had totally clogged up the dpf and it could not regenerate its self correctly. The annoying thing was it took almost 2 weeks to get the problem diagnosed. They kept running tests on all sorts but there was no error codes. I was advised to use the car and see what happens. On way to see family over Christmas the engine light came on with trc off and vsc, had next to no throttle response and the car crawled to a halt. Phoned up AA they came out put the computer on and the dpf was in excess of 90%.