Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone With A 4.2 2000-2003 Petrol Please Assist

LeeADAB

Please can anyone (even those in sunny Spain) who currently owns a 4.2 petrol Rav4 confirm that their fuel pump obviously runs for a couple of seconds when they turn the key to the second position BEFORE starting.

Thanks in advance, Lee

The pump runs for a few seconds with the ignition turned on - then stops - this is sufficient to pressurise the fuel rail. The pump doesn't restart until the engine is firing or the ignition is turned off and then back on. The function is controlled by the ECU - the idea is that if a fuel line is ruptured in a collision - the engine stops which in turn stops the electrical feed to the fuel pump thus preventing the tank contents being pumped on to the ground.

Try shorting the wires in the fuel rail pressure sensor. Excess can't be pumped to the ground, it just circulates back to the tank.

I don't hear anything when I turn the ignition on. What kind of noise am I listening for?

Glad it's not just me Uncle_P. After changing the Battery the other day I have heard the relay clicking on and off when trickling along in stop/start traffic. Don't think it did that before so would be interested to hear if yours does the same.

Hi, the fuel pump should make a humming noise when you first insert the key and turn to on.

You should hear it from under the rear passenger seat area?

Don't think mine does that Lee and I've had it 11 years.

Thanks pmb and uncle_p, It seems that it is right not to hear the fuel pump which explains why you cant hear yours either.

Quote: "fuel pump only works while cranking or the engine is actually running"

Although everything else I could find said to listen for the fuel pump to prime and I really thought I'd heard that before.

Lucky I didn't lay bets on that one!

It's not like I haven't had it long either - 8yrs.

Thanks for checking with yours and reporting back. Really appreciate you doing that. Cheers, Lee