Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cut Out P1229 Code

kingkong69

My 2006 yaris d4d cut out on the motorway the engine warning light came on and eventually got the car started after about 4 to 5 attempts, It drove ok but got AA out and he did a scan and the code p1229 came up he suggest me to change the fuel filter has anyone got this same problem??

Mine has cut out several times over the last few weeks, mainly when accelerating. Changed the fuel filter at the weekend and my Monday morning drive to work (200 miles) was fine so it has hopefully fixed it. Didn't check the code though.

Hi Dougie thanks for the reply, did your engine warning light come on? Or you just having problems with cut out?

This was the follow up to the post on 4th oct,I now changed the fuel filter as recommend by the man from the AA,Hope this will fixed it because other option is far more expensive..I really scare driving it don't know when the car cut out again..

Yes, warning light did come on and stayed on until I'd had a few shorter journeys without problems. Can understand your worries of it cutting out again. Mine cut out when trying to join the M1 and also after roundabouts so as already stated when accelerating. I tried to accelerate more slowly afterwards but at one point it cut out while cruising on the motorway so knew I had to get it sorted then. I've only done the one journey to work in it since on Monday so hoping Fridays return journey goes fine.

About 3/4 weeks ago the same thing as happen(posted on 4 oct forum)but the light went out by itself until last night,The AA man said it could be hundred of things for the faulty code and some are very expensive..the filter is the cheapest I just lost faith in the car and it could kill me and my family..

There is a Technical service bulletin possibly regarding this fault, you will need a diagnostic check carried out by Toyota to determine if the occurance of P1229 is due to the fault in the bulletin or due to another cause. If the fault is related to the TSB then a new engine ECU with modified software is required the bulletin reference is EG-0071T-0610-EN and was fixed in production from December 2009 onwards.

Well I've just had another uneventful 200 mile journey home so hopefully it was just my fuel filter too. My symptoms were the same as yours, Pete, and my car is 10 plate so hopefully not affected by the other issue mentioned. If you've not had any more problems since getting your filter changed, hopefully you can feel a bit more at ease when driving.

Hi Dougie glad your journey went ok I just done a 40 mile round trip and it went ok but I am still really frighten the car will cut off again :-(

• 5 years later...
On 29 October 2013 at 11:17 PM, kingkong69 said:

My 2006 yaris d4d cut out on the motorway the engine warning light came on and eventually got the car started after about 4 to 5 attempts, It drove ok but got AA out and he did a scan and the code p1229 came up he suggest me to change the fuel filter has anyone got this same problem??

Hello mate did you managed to find out what was the issue. Im having exactly the same issue and also changed the fuel filter but not good. keeps cutting out at low speeds with fault code p1229?

was it the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator or something else?

• 3 years later...

Hi guys we have a 2013 yaris 1.4 D4D, it randomly cuts out on the motorway and all lights come, it will start after a few attempts. after a scan it shows the P1229 and P1272 has anyone found a fix for this fault as ive seen a few posts having similar problems. 

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

When was the fuel filter last drained/changed ? It can also be caused by running the tank too low

:stupid: 

I also think fuel filter would be the first thing to try - In the whole time I had my D4Ds the dealer never changed the fuel filter so I'm not even sure if it's on the servicing schedule, but they do need changing at some point, esp. if the car has been run on cheap diesel its whole life.