Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Question

vorlon69

Hi,

1st of all please look at pic attached

I can turn on the side lights, dipped & main beam lights but,

the 5 led's horizontally & the 4 led's vertically at the side I cannot work out a) what they do b) how to turn them on or off

Anybody any ideas as they never seem to illuminate?

They don't appear to be daytime running lights or side lights

Thanx

post-130133-0-76862900-1383100307_thumb.

On that model I am sure that they are fake. It would be speculation as to why they are fake, but I think it is relevant to point out that Toyota did not appear to be pro-active in updating their flag ship Hybrid model (i.e. Prius) with Day-time Running Lights.

On that model I am sure that they are fake. It would be speculation as to why they are fake, but I think it is relevant to point out that Toyota did not appear to be pro-active in updating their flag ship Hybrid model (i.e. Prius) with Day-time Running Lights.

No update required - I already have Day-time running lights.

My Prius+ also has LED daytime runing lights as standard, although I can't quite understand why they turn out when the headlights are switched on, many other makes that have LED DRLs keep them on all the time. Maybe its an anti boy-racer thing.

The Gen 3 has been through a mid-life update now, it did not have DRL (Daytime Running Lights) when it was introduced in 2009, because Toyota managed to get the car approved for sale within the EU before the deadline that mandated that new cars must be equipped with DRL. They continued to sell new Prius cars after the deadline without DRL, quite legally, but I recall complaints as it did catch out some new owners who didn't understand the technicalities of how the rules would apply.

My Prius+ also has LED daytime runing lights as standard, although I can't quite understand why they turn out when the headlights are switched on, many other makes that have LED DRLs keep them on all the time. Maybe its an anti boy-racer thing.

Because it is a legal requirement that they go OFF when the headlamps are ON. They are too bright for use at night, therefore they go OFF when the headlamps are turned on

Kingo :thumbsup:

Because it is a legal requirement that they go OFF when the headlamps are ON. They are too bright for use at night, therefore they go OFF when the headlamps are turned on

A friend of mine has a Skoda and his DRLs stay on with the headlights bit reduce their brightness, so becoming side/parking lights.

Yes thats correct, they can reduce to a sidelight power, but they cannot stay the same brightness when the headlights go on, it would make them too bright at night

Some also dim when the flashers go on, particularly if the DRL is near to the flasher lamp, both scenarios are catered for in the regulations

I hadn't realised the "dim with lights on" thing - I've seen loads of cars with their DRLs still on with their headlights on such as ford/vauxhall/mercedes/audi/citroen/peugeot/skoda and the DRLs often still look brighter than the dipped beams so maybe aren't dimming quite enough! Given the styling trend towards having fairy lights on so many new cars I'm a little surprised that Toyota have chosen to go for the "off at night" version but not the end of the world. If I want to dazzle oncoming drivers I can always put the front fog lights on!!! (a pet hate of mine...)

The brighter ones you've seen with headlamps on may be aftermarket ones simply wired to the parking light circuit.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it only a matter of time before all car lights are LED, including headlight bulbs? LED lights use a lot less power than conventional bulbs, and with the Prius at least only having a small 12v Battery every little power saving helps! Sometimes switching on the headlights in my G2 activates the petrol engine to start up and I've often thought that on well lit roads you don't use headlights to see, so much as to be seen, so why not LED headlights, or night-time running lights?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links